Do I have EMM386.exe loaded??

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by ROGERBID, Aug 15, 2002.

1. ROGERBID

ROGERBID Member

Hi,

I am trying to create an image of my Hard drive and have failed in Ghost, and now want to try in Drive Image. The Manual says if wanting to burn image to CD-R I "must not load EMM386.EXE in my config.sys file." How do I know if it is already loaded there? I have looked at C:\config.sys in Wordpad and it seems to contain just 2 lines:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEME.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

Does the second line mean it is 'loaded' and if so can I 'unload' it by simply starting the line 'REM '??

I also have config.sys file showing up in Program Files in Adaptec, Norton SystemWorks and PowerQuest and Drive Image folders but Find Files shows there are another 3 EMM386.EXE files in Drive Image and PowerQuest\PartitionMagic5 folders. Should I be concerned about these?

ALSO, Manual says if creating an image on a CD-RW it must be empty and unformatted, but what about a CD-R? Do I have to format it or not, and if so how do I do this?

Where do I go from here? Any sugestions please!!

Thanks, Roger

2. Eimi

Eimi Member

Only the config.sys on your root dir will be executed through DOS (I'm presuming you are running a Win9x/me operating system) If you select the Boot to DOS option in your shutdown menu.

The other Config.sys in the program's directory are probably an indivdual config.sys for that program if you try to run it under windows.

To get rid of the EMM386.sys running on boot.

open the config.sys in both the C drive and the Ghost/Drive Image program.

edit the line

DEVICE=C:\windows\emm386.exe
    to:
    REM DEVICE=C:\windows\emm386.exe

reboot, and the emm386 won't be run on boot