Do I have to renew my passport after it expires?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by blondie_hunter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. blondie_hunter

blondie_hunter Member

I'm holding an emergency passport as I'v lost two passports in the last two months. It only has 7 months expiry and I don't intend to renew it after it expires, as I won't be going overseas in the next 5 years.

Can I just leave it be and apply for a new one when I need one? I had asked a staff in the post office and she told me I will have 3 years to think about renewal, but I forgot to ask what if I didn't want to renew it.

Will it affect my application in the future if I don't do anything when my current passport expires?

2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I had one that expired 15 years ago, but then again it went through the washing machine and the post office lady said when i was there picking things up to make a whole new application

3. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

It's easier to renew a passport, than to let it expire and start the process all over again. I'm not sure what the grace period is.

coolroy, Scarpetta and Bold Eagle like this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No issue either way, other than a lot easier to renew than having to do all the paperwork for a new one. Plus probably costs extra to get a new one, but then you save money by not renewing.

If you do let it lapse obviously keep your old passport number handy so you can refer to it in the new one, probably makes the process easier for them to verify who you are etc.

5. luke o

luke o Member

If cash isn't the problem just renew it for ten years.

Otherwise so long as you're a citizen and have birth certificates, and other id you can let it lapse and renew it whenever you like. Just be aware starting from scratch can take weeks to get approval as they do literally check everything, birth records etc. Longer if your born overseas.

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I would keep the old expired one, makes renewing a bit easier. That was the case 15 years ago. The way the world is going, I always keep a valid passport as I have lots of family OS. Mind you my EU one expired a while ago.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah personally for me I'd just pay the extra and keep it renewed...much much less hassle. OP want to save money I guess though.

8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Just wait til the federal gov increases the price for a passport again. :rolleyes:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Just get a 10 year one. It can be really handy just for ID purposes. Drivers licence plus passport equals 100 points of ID.

10. Penfold

Penfold Member

You have to be a bit careful as your last two passports were supplied as emergencies you will not be able to obtain another emergency passport if you need it.

11. OP
    OP
    blondie_hunter

blondie_hunter Member

I can't renew for 10 years, I've lost two passports within two months and there's a penalty for the expiry on the new passport, which is 5 years.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wouldn't doubt it, easy pickings for the coffers.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

Sounds like you need to take better care of your passports.

But that's not relevant to the question at hand.

There's no reason you must renew a passport unless you're going to need one. Yes it's easier/faster to renew an existing or only recently expired one than starting new, but there's no penalty or anything in doing so.

IF you have potentially sporadic/unknown travel plans (e.g. for like like myself) I always keep a passport, it may not get used for a couple years, but then I'll get a Friday afternoon - "we need you in X on Monday".... (glad I don't pay for the tickets on those jobs)

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

I let my passport lapse but recently I got one again. I hope to win a contest to go somewhere, and now I'm ready. :D

To answer your question, I don't think they hold anything against you when you reapply. As Mr Chilled said, there's a question as to whether you previous held a passport and to put the details in on the application form, but I didn't know where mine was so I just said I'd had one, but couldn't supply the number. That didn't cause any drama at all.

15. sanjay

sanjay Member

i'll always keep my passports current (Aus and UK). call me a tin-foil-hatman but i would never want to be caught in a situation of political unrest/war without such an important travel document.

Lord Belial and the_fuzz like this.
  16. Tinian

Tinian Member

Yes you can. Don't lose the one you've got and keep it in a drawer somewhere you'll remember.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Pretty unlikely for Australia unless you think the Chinese are going to invade us.

18. Zee

Zee Member

Bastards killed the 60+ page passport, too. I fill the regular ones up in 3-4 years - and that's if I spread the load with my EU one.

Bastids...

Z...

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

you must visit some interesting places.

usually I have completely empty passports, anywhere that does the whole e-passport thing end-to-end usually means no stamps.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Even Japan gave me a stamp the last time I was there...

Most of the pages are taken up by visas. Places like Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, even China (to name but a few). Half my last passport was just Visas.

I always wondered why visas these days can be postage stamp sized - do I really need a photo of myself (sometimes 2!!!) on my visa, that is attached to my passport - by the issuing country - which has my photo in it?

Z...