Do I have to renew my passport after it expires?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by blondie_hunter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's because they blood skip four pages to stamp it! :mad:

2. Hater

Hater Member

this is my favourite stamp on mine

[​IMG]

3. Zee

Zee Member

Oh no, they were actively searching for empty spots when I still had a 30 page job, my 60+ page one was awesome, loved it, though it did get time consuming waiting for the immigration guy to find the entry stamp with 40 stamped pages.

Z...

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

I've had one of those too, not quite so blatantly on top of the do not stamp this page... but on the chip page.

5. Zee

Zee Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I had a staple through mine, can't remember which country, but I did LOL, until my passport started to get hard to scan at Aussie immigration...

Z...

6. Hater

Hater Member

to be fair it is a ruse, i asked the lady to stamp there and she just shrugged and was like "well it's your passport bud"

7. Sunder

Sunder Member

Meanwhile, Blondie_hunter has been implicated in several political assassinations. Perhaps a Hamas leader knocked off, a Hong Kong anti-China protester vanished, and North Korean relative of the Chairman hasn't been seen in a few weeks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Mahmoud_Al-Mabhouh

8. mtma

mtma Member

Some of the stuck in visas are pretty fancy with their anti-tampering features. I guess it's a protection layer against passports which may be less well protected from tampering as the origin country may like in some cases.

Some countries, I can't help but think that it's just done to reciprocate the gesture from other countries that do it to their citizens.

Although it's a bit amusing when they process the visa and then it isn't valid for any purpose after your entry to the country is processed. Better yet when they then attach other labels to your passport to officiate your status.

EDIT-
    Also the quality of the current issue gold crest passport isn't as good as the previous gold crest passport that I had (never had the silver crest one that's in between), the buckram is plasticy, has a cheap texture and whilst the microprint artwork is ok the the colour scheme and overall design of the text and is pretty ordinary. The prior passport certainly gave it a uniquely Australian flavour.

Thought I would mention that before the government thinks nobody will notice them making the product cheaper and cheaper.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. cvidler

cvidler Member

While jacking up the price.

I noticed it too, but what ya gonna do, get a passport from somewhere else. not an option for most.

10. Sunder

Sunder Member

I personally don't think it's that big an issue.

For people like my wife that only travel internationally once every few years, quality doesn't matter. It sits in the safe 118 of the 120 months its valid for, so still looks brand new the day it expires.

For people like me, the edges are a bit worn, as is the spine, but I run out of pages before the 10 year expiry, and work pays for a new passport anyway. And if you're luck enough to do the same on holidays? Well, you can afford an extra $300 bucks every few years.

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

i did notice how cheap and shit my UK passport feels compared to my AU one.

ive been pretty lucky with the stamps in mine, they all seem to be very closely bunched into the front pages.

12. mtma

mtma Member

Well it's not so much that, unless someone speaks out to say that efforts in design and quality are recognised, then nobody is going to even pay attention to the small details the next time they do it and it will just keep sliding.

For example, the buckram - it might not have been much difference between a better quality material to the current stuff, it could be a trivial case of nobody actually asking about it.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably agree with that, more of an issue for those frequent travelers.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Grace period is 6 months.

15. Phido

Phido Member

UK passport quality is noted as being crap.

The Australian one is actually top notch in quality. I've had people comment. They also love how Australian the whole thing is.
    I have an EU one.

The Australian one usually doesn't need many visa's either. I assume people are doing a lot of travelling to SE asia. Visa pages take up huge amount of space.

16. OP
    OP
    blondie_hunter

blondie_hunter Member

How does passport renewal work? Do you send them the required documents and old passport then they are gonna send you a new one and cancel your old one?

Or do they just send you a little slip with new expiry date so you can put it on the old passport, like what you do with the driver's license?

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You fill an online application then they send a renewal form. Takes 5 mins to fill out then take the form to your Auspost with passport photo and done. Auspost will cut the old passport so it is marked as invalid.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

you get a new passport book.

keep the old one for your records