Do I just need an Ethernet switch?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Hi All,
    So have built PC's on an doff for 20 years but am a bit of a networking dumbarse. I currently have a 4 port mode/router which everything just kinda works of plug and play however will be expanding devices to

3X Windows 10 PC's (1X will be a media server)
    2X Playstations
    1X Smart TV

All will be hard wired through walls/CAT6.

So I need at least 6 outlets and am assuming I just need a very basic ethernet switch between the modem/router and all the devices? A managed one if I want to be able to throttle/shape traffic a little?

I don't need anything fancy just the ability to transfer/stream and maybe log into the server from my mainPC using remote desktop.

I'll be able to bumble my way through the network setup I think with the use of guides etc just need to know what hardware I need. Obviously cheaper the better as I have spent enough on this project already haha.

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Yup all you need.

8 port switches are dime a dozen, just shove a cable from the LAN port on your router to a port on the switch and you have 7 more ports.

3. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Cheers, D Link DGS 108 looks straight forward and suitable :)

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Does the cabling already exist?

If not, worth considering an EoP ("powerline") adapter. Some come with switches in them.

5. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

It doesent but I'm getting it run from the study out to 3 other rooms as I'm fairly sure they are on different power circuits. Plus $300 is pretty fair, not worth stuffing around with EOP I don't think.

6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Yeah, sounds fair.

I've used it between neighbours so different circuits may not matter.

7. Hive

Hive Member

That's pretty good performance... i've struggled to get my old EoP's to get form the garage to the bedroom.

8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

honestly? if you're not committed to running cabling yet, I'm of the opinion your money is far better spent on just buying a good WiFi router. The speed and latency is going to shit on your actual internet connection regardless and is going to be overkill, or at the very least 'plenty', for anything media streaming or gaming related

I look fondly on the days of buying my own box of cat6 and plugs and a crimper and wiring everything up for that 'super solid cable connection' but then realise how pointless it would be to do now. I have Asus RT-AC68U and a gigabyte mobo with onboard WiFi and in the (7 or so?) years I've owned it never ever had a single fault, dropout or lag issue

edit: just to add, my main PC is probably 15m at least on the opposite end of the house, which is a 4br, and the connection is perfect

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Townhouses.

I assume it traveled back out to the street and back, but it could have been using a shared earth. NFI.

Hive likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Yeah I'm sure it can work a treat but so many variables. For the price I like idea of independent cabling running point to point and hitting a router I can manage and shape traffic on.

11. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

switch != router. You don't want to add additional routers to your network if you don't need

critical feature that shaping - gotta be able to put your partner's/housemate's/dog's PC on 10mbit half-duplex when they piss you off

12. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Sorry yes switch, just recently been looking into what I need. Have an existing modem/router which works fine so just getting a basic D Link/TP Link 8 port switch with basic management to hang out the back of the router. I have kids so 100%, shaping is the new "grounded" lol.

13. Hive

Hive Member

Mikrotik + QoS policies

14. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Are you suggesting them for Ethernet or POE? Or both?

15. Hive

Hive Member

16. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Looks like a nice bit of gear but I was just thinking a D Link DGS-1100-08 for like $70. It just need to shuffle movies and word docs around.

17. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Definitely get a swtich. These days routers are so cheap and under powered that they often can't both do all the routing etc and do their advertised 1GBps if you're saturating the network Eg. copying data between Port 1 and 2, then Port 3's internet access slows down to a crawl, or you can't get much speed copying between Port 3 and 4

18. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

This is more or less true (although 4K remuxes might have something to say about that "plenty") but it goes out the window if you ever need to do basic, boring things like "copy large files around between computers where one or both ends are only connected via wifi". Copying 200GB 5-10x slower than gigabit sucks.

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

fixed wired is still always, no question, better than wireless. The only downside is portability.

- lower latency
    - dedicated bandwidth - you're not sharing limited radio frequency space, with your other devices, and your neighbours devices, and the microwave, and the cordless phone and anything else that operates in the public unlicensed 2.4 and 5GHz frequency bands. You're wifi may be fine down, but what happens when the neighbours change and the new one has a poorly configured or heavily loaded wifi system, reduces the bandwidth you have available too. wires don't have this problem.
    - no stuttering mid stream (part of that dedicated bandwidth thing above)
    - more secure
    - leaves more bandwidth for your wireless only devices.

Anything that doesn't need to move around the house - cable it.
    leave wifi for phones/tablets.

Quadbox and theSeekerr like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Yeah I'm not trying to stream multiple HD video feeds to TV's, transfer large files between 3 pc's etc over Wifi. Especially when a router ike that is $100 cheaper than the cabling. The kids can use wifi for mobile devices but I'll have all PC's and TV points wired.

theSeekerr likes this.