Do I need a new case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by desibeat18, Dec 4, 2018.

1. desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

So guys, I am building a new computer after the last one lasted since 2009 and is still going strong. I had put really high quality parts.
    My question is do I need a new case? I dont have any issues with it except that it doesnt natively support USB3s which I have added on a 5.25.
    Otherwise its got amazing airflow, stocked with fans which still work really well

I was considering a Dark Base Pro rev2 with a few more added silent wings3 fans but including shipping from the one retailer in adelaide (I am in sydney) who stocks it I am looking around 500.

I really like the looks of the new case, but do I really need it considering I don't do any extreme modding, all I am after is a case which is roomy and has excellent thermal properties.Id rather save that 500 and put it elsewhere. However I wouldnt want my build to fail in the next few years so at least I guess with a new case there is that peace of mind. Having said that, how can cases fail? Worst case, just replace the fans now.

Id like my current build to last at least another 8 years just because I don't have time to build computers / manage data and all the small little jobs it generates.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. power

power Member

what's your existing chassis?

3. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

HAF 932

4. power

power Member

the lack of USB3 would be a dealbreaker for me, Coolermaster are also not the best finish so yeah i'd be updating it for those reasons alone.

apart from that it looks like it does what you need, just pretty basic I guess.

There is also a trend to cover PSU's which tbh has been a thing for a long time it's just more mainstream now. The bezel on the CM chassis is lacking in intakes which would bother me too I don't like a single low intake anymore there's no reason for this to be a thing in this day and age of top mounted buttons and ports and no optical drives.

oh and i detest large side fans.

5. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

Found a video here which was very informative

Would you be able to recommend any cheaper cases power? Need for 4 HDDs, nVIDIA 2080 GFX and Noctua D15 CPU cooler. 4x usb3 front ports would be ideal, and so would a 3.1USB C port (if possible)
    Cant stress thermal performance enough as this would be a long term casee

Wouldnt large side fans positively impact airflow and hence temp?

6. asho444

asho444 Member

7. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Just depends how much shit you're putting in there, airflow isn't as big of a problem these days as it was. Cables tucked behind motherboard trays etc.

8. Radial7

Radial7 Member

I’ve got an older build, i7 4770k, in a HAF X case that I still use regularly. I think these cases are great, well designed, plenty of room and easy to work with. But not quite the finish of some of the newer cases. Although the HAF X is slightly different to the HAF 932.
    Last build was a i9-7900x in a Phanteks Evolv case. Amazing looking case and would highly recommend but not quite the airflow or room of the HAF X.

9. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

Thanks for the replies. I did have a look at Phantek and Thermaltake cases and I really liked them. Just ooze appeal.
    However, what I don't understand about cases in the last few years is their use of tempered glass or metal right at the front whereas previously it was unsexy but functional plastic with holes for air inflow. Doesnt sticking a solid bit there drastically impede airflow and hence cooling? But this seems to be the trend
    My computer has been turned on for the majority of time in teh past decade and I honestly feel the reason it hasnt failed is because of quality parts with cooling.

10. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Fractal Define R6 TG

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I really think after 10 years surely you can treat yourself to a new case.

12. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

I could, and I probably will
    But just wondering whether in terms of structural integrity of the case as well as fans inside whether I really need to. The fans are mostly 200mm 600-800rpm fans and seem to be working fine, no issues with ballbearings or squeaks or anything.

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Structural integrity?

Is it rusty?

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well it sounds like it's fine. We can't tell from here the condition of the case.

15. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

desibeat18 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

Hey DTSM I am thinking of going for
    https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/be-quiet-pro-900-review/1/
    Precisely because it has that option but its just too damn expensive and I don't need what it offers. However I may be forced to.

It feels as a 5.25 is a necessity, gives important connectivity options in the future. Its not needed 95% of the time but when needed its invaluable. I really dont understand this trend of removing a 5.25.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A 5.25 bay is an anachronism. They no longer serve any purpose, with fine grained motherboard fan controls, USB replacing optical drives, the demise of DVD, etc.

In my drawer I have a USB optical drive for emergencies. I haven't used it for maybe 4 years. For 30 bucks, and the very rare times you will have a use for it, I wouldn't compromise on my case to have that ability. Just buy a portable and stick it in your drawer, you'll have a much larger selection of cases to choose from.

There are no 'important connectivity options' in the future which will require a 5.25 bay..

I also have a USB card reader, which gets used more often than the burner as I use it for removing photo's from my DSLR... but my phone camera is so good that I rarely even use the DSLR anymore either, so photo's are downloaded directly from my phone via USB.

I'd rather use the front panel space for extra fans or longer rads. A 5.25 bay is a downside, not an upside, IMHO. I guess the exception is if you want some blingy display/controller thing up front for aesthetics if your taste runs in that direction , or you want a hotswap drive bay. In fact, the desire for a hotswap drive bay is the ONLY reason I would even consider the need for a 5.25 bay these days, assuming I have that need, which I don't.

Regarding your desire to have 4x USB 3.0 ports on the front panel.. you realise that motherboards with 2x onboard USB 3 headers are uncommon, and pretty much confined to high end motherboards? One header can only handle 2x USB 3 ports.

This may change in the future though, and multiple USB 3 headers may be more common in the future as USB 2 dies of old age. At this point though, its not common at all. I actually doubt that it ever will be, the standard USB 3 motherboard header is too large, has very heavy and stiff cabling, and can be somewhat fragile. I suspect USB 4 will have a much more friendly interface, and I would expect that you probably won't see too many boards with more than one USB 3 header, ever.

Does your current/planned motherboard have such a facility or are you planning on adding a PCIE card to provide an extra header?

Most cases with 4x USB ports on the front panel will have 2x USB 3 and 2x USB 2 ports for this reason. They may have 4x USB 3 ports, but they will also come with an adapter so you can run two of them from a USB 2 header.

Of course they are all compatible for your devices (except for USB C devices), its just that a pair of them will be substantially slower, but if you really want 4 fast ports ( + a USB C port, an even bigger ask on top of the other 4 ports ) then your options are extremely limited or non existent without an appropriate motherboard or extra header via PCIE.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    desibeat18 likes this.
  18. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Surely this one can be considered "case closed" now? You've received many cents now, you just need to make the call...

19. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 Member

Haha,
    Indeed case closed. Thanks for the help guys

cmi83 likes this.