Do I need Vlans? Help for this noob please.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Niggle, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Niggle

Niggle Member

What I am trying to do is I have multiple small networks (5+) with 4 devices (connected wirelessly) on each and then assign an ip to each network by using either vpns or proxys. Vpns or proxies must be done at the router level. Now I've made 1 extra network by connecting an asus router into the back of my main internet router and then entering the vpn details into it. This has given me one extra network but I need more and buying 5+ routers is going to be a little expensive. Is there a wireless router that could do all this for me in 1 unit?

2. davros123

davros123 Member

You do not need multiple routers. You want one router, (and probably one Access point).

Decent access points (AP's) like ubiquity are cheap, solid and can do multiple vlans. (vlans run over the same wire and are *basically* just logical separation of traffic. They do not have to be different subnets, but usually are)

Just setup the 5 or so vlans (each with it's own dhcp) on your router and run the multiple vlans into a (single) AP - such as ubiquity unify AP. It has multiple wifi networks, one on each vlan. I do this for guest access and my main LAN access.

Your router is probably shit, so I'd grab the ubiquity edgerouter x @ $85 (https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Routers/66592-ER-X-AU) and one (or more if you REALLY need it - likely coverage will be fine with one) UAP AC Lite @ $139 (https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/61350-UAP-AC-Lite-AU - you do not need the pro, the lite's are fucking awesome.

$224, done. Sell Asus and profit.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

Thanks for the reply! Its much appreciated! How many vlans would this setup be capable of?

4. davros123

davros123 Member

Good question. Each AP can have max 8 SSID's per radio, so 8 for 2.4 and 8 for 5Ghz. You can have each AP have a different set of 8 (groups they are called).

The router is basically unlimited...well, 4095 but hey...that IS the limit.

I just added 6 test networks (I did not bother to add the vlan ID to them, but that's just part of the config screen - see below).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

The link to the ubiquiti AP that you have kindly provided above advertises itself as a dual radio. I would assume that's 2.4ghz and 5gz. Does that mean 8 vlans for 2.4ghz and 8 vlans for 5ghz for a total of 16?

6. davros123

davros123 Member

yes, see my reply above :)

The 8 networks int he the pic I posted are all AC. Could also do the same for 2.4

7. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

Does the ubiquiti settings/firmware have the facility to assign a separate VPN for each vlan?

8. davros123

davros123 Member

what do you mean vpn? vpn to where and why? What are the end points you are trying to connect via a vpn. Can you post more info on what you are trying to do. multiple vpn's like this sounds plain weird.

9. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

What I am trying to achieve is multiple vlans with their own unique ip address on the Internet. Could I purchase a number of USA (or whereever) VPN connections and connect each one to each vlan giving each a unique internet ip?

10. davros123

davros123 Member

Sure. The router x can handle multiple vpn's. Just hook each vpn into the vlan and presto. Weird though.

What's it for? Something naughty i hope:)

11. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

Haha. Nothing sinister or naughty. Its a money making app I use where multiple connections would be a huge advantage for me. I'm happy to discuss if interested.

12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

You know there's no need to actually do that on seperate devices or faff about with your home network at all, really, if it's just one app you're trying to have multiple instances of each talking via a different vpn. One of probably a million ways of doing it would just to run multiple minimal VMs on the one computer and have each VM connected to a different vpn...

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh, don't even need any vlanning at all. Multiple VMs running off 1 PC, all connect to different VPNs and that'll be fine.

14. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

I can't use VMs. I need to use physical devices. Thanks for the input though

15. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Surely you could just mac spoof each vm. What physical property is being tracked here?

16. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

OP are you a cam girl on multiple sites?

Matthew kane and Pugs like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

Lol no! I'm doing what is known as phone farming. You can search for it on youtube for some good info but its basically running apps on many phones at once that pay you to have them running on them. The companies that run the apps pay you to show ads on your devices.

18. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Wow, $1 per month, that looks like such a great idea!

19. OP
    OP
    Niggle

Niggle Member

More like $200-$300 a month. Not too bad for about 10 minutes work a day.

20. davros123

davros123 Member

nice. money for jam.