Do my HDTach results seem dodgy?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by WadeBeger, Aug 23, 2008.

1. WadeBeger

WadeBeger Member

So I've just formatted yesturday, and I decided to this time use a slightly newer drive as my Windows format over the one I was currently using. The newer drive is also silent in read/write, whereas the older one does the usual HDD access noises.

I noticed when I was installing some games, that things will sometimes grind to a halt for a few seconds. Only sometimes though, when I'm installig things, or trying to access things, and not in game it seems.

So I run HD-Tach, and the results seem different to what I'm used to..

http://www.geocities.com/wadebeger/320AAKS2.JPG
    This is the current drive I'm using. The results seem to change slightly from run to run. Sometimes it can be full of those pit falls, and sometimes it's just up and down slightly without the pitfalls.

http://www.geocities.com/wadebeger/320KS.JPG
    My drive I was using. It seems slower, but the graph seems more normal?

Sorry for my inability to word this correctly. I don't play too much in this area of tech.

Should I RA the 320AAK? Or is this normal?
    Also, does the other drive seem slow for what it is?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys.

Wade

2. whoop

whoop Member

If you're looking to take it back first run the WD diagnostic software on it. I'm pretty sure there's some WD diag software on the Ultimate Boot CD. That will tell you whether or not the drive is failing.

3. OP
    OP
    WadeBeger

WadeBeger Member

4. Boxman

Boxman Member

If the HDD is used for the OS then you will always have some dips in the graph due to background processes that write to disk and competing with the HD Tune test. Write speeds fall dramatically when the disk is trying to be used by more than one process.

Turn on SMART for all your drives and check their status in HD Tune. If there are any red highlighted entries then you have a problem, which may or may not be fixed with a soft (driver or configuration) fix.

What are your system specs? Lag or pausing of the OS under disk use can be attributed to an incorrectly set up I/O controller.

5. OP
    OP
    WadeBeger

WadeBeger Member

SMART reports that everything is green, which allays my concerns to an extent.

How would I know if the I/O controller is incorrectly setup?
    It's a E6300, 2GB 667, Gigabyte 965P-DS3..

6. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

have u checked event viewer?

7. Boxman

Boxman Member

Green stats are a good sign. Usually if there are controller problems they will also trip some of the SMART stats.

Since you've got a board with the Jmicron SATA/IDE controller download the latest driver here.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista/

Generally you would see some I/O related errors, warnings, lockups and bluescreens if there were problems with the controller. Try and use the ICH8 SATA ports on the board and not the ports off the Jmicron (Gigabyte) controller. I think the yellow ports are the ones you want. The purple ports are the Jmicron ones.

If everything seems fine in relation to the HDDs then start looking at other culprits. I.e recently install 3rd party programs, extra background services etc. If you're using Vista, then look into the Reliability and Performance Monitor.