Do these replacement capacitor specs match old component?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by juppy, Nov 7, 2018 at 8:56 PM.

1. juppy

juppy Member

Repairing a power supply in my Panasonic plasma and looking for some advice on whether or not this Rubycon capacitor below will be a good match for the failing ones Im replacing.

It's a match for the physical size, uF, voltage and temperature rating. However I'm not 100% sure about the high ripple current and ESR (I'm unsure what those last two specifications even mean to be honest).

The old caps are Nichicon PT(M) series 330uF 250v 105c radial Electrolytic. They are also marked C1153. Apparently they are classed as High Ripple Current.

The replacement caps I'm looking at are the following Rubycon:
    https://au.element14.com/rubycon/250bxw330mefr18x40/cap-330-f-250v-20/dp/2480276

Could someone much smarter than me please compare the spec sheets of these two caps and let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Or alternatively, if someone knows what the updated Nichicon series would be to replace the PT(M) series that may also be helpful. I assume the PT has been discontinued as I cant seem to find any, at least not in Australia.

I did enquire with element14 but they were unable to supply a solid answer on the ripple current and ESR.

Thankya.

2. @rt

@rt Member

Ripple current is easy. The Rubycon you’re looking at are always better for the same voltage/value/frequency.
    I don’t see mention of ESR, but that’s characteristic of high ripple current (a low ESR cap will warm up, and tolerate less ripple current).

3. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

Isn't this backwards? AFAIK for higher ripple you want lower ESR.

4. OP
    OP
    juppy

juppy Member

Thanks guys for the feedback, have ordered a bunch of caps to basically recap the entire board. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of the larger ones with a hairdryer test though.