Do you chew enough?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ThankDog, Dec 16, 2013.

1. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

So I just found out something interesting about myself. I don't chew enough.

After having difficulties with digestion, in particular meals with rice and pasta and/or a lot of vegetables, I did some research and talked to a GP and discovered that I don't chew enough. Apparently that's really important for digestion and also, as I recently learned, nutrition.

According to my sources not chewing enough can cause indigestion and malnutrition due to food being forced out of the stomach before it's properly digested, leaving bacteria to work on undigested food in the intestines. Chewing pre-digests much of your food and breaks it down so that your stomach can easily handle it before it moves into your bowels.

Having always scoffed down my food unceremoniously like the pig I am, I never even considered that this would or even could be an issue. I figure that other people might be in the same position and that this could help them.

Also, it reduces the smelliness of your farts and that's always a good thing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. loupseul

loupseul Member

I must try this. I usually gulp down my food really fast. I wonder if it reduces food cravings as well.

Sometimes I get bloating and I feel really tired.

3. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

It might very well help with both. Apparently digestion takes a lot of energy and if you don't chew enough then your body needs to use more energy to digest your food and in turn also gets less from it. This can lead to bloating and tiredness after a big meal.

As for cravings, I find drinking lots of water, especially, while eating (I can't emphasise that point enough, it seems to make a bigger difference if I drink while eating rather than before or after) tends to fend off cravings.

Of course, all of this is anecdotal and therefore not substitute for a doctor's advice.

4. pugsley

pugsley Member

Slowing does your eating could also end in you eating less. As the stomach takes some time to transmit the "Yo i'm full" signal to the brain.

5. moist.au

moist.au (Banned or Deleted)

Hmm yeah, I'm the same. It's the same when I drink - any drink, be it cordial, water, milk, or beers, I literally sink the glass without taking a breath or a break (probably not so much with the beers, but sometimes :lol: )

My Nan (85, very old fashioned) reckons on average you should chew 20-30 times (depending on the food). I always told her that was garbage, but I'm starting to think she might be right. I just can't fathom chewing that much. o_O

Going to be a hard habit to break after 25+ years of doing the same, though.

6. pugsley

pugsley Member

I'm the same. Aint nobody got time to stand around sippin a drink. The only time i do it is when i'm not doing anything else. Sitting at the pc or watching tv, or out and about or at a friends place for a bbq. Pretty much all of those involve alcohol :p

7. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

I LOVE beer. Which is why I don't drink it very often. When I do, I end up practically gulping it down because I want that fresh taste to wash over my tastebuds constantly and that refreshing, tangy, bitter, amber love to cascade down my throat.

Shit. Now I need a beer. And possibly a cold shower.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, you would, wouldn't you, M. le loup?

So, you'd be encouraging more mastication then, TD?

9. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

Only if you don't mind going to Hell.

10. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Until recently I used to get a really bad itchy red splotchy scabby rash on my face, specifically either side of my nose and on my forehead just above my nose. After years of trying different creams, eliminating various things through diet, various corticosteroid and UV treatments, it turns out I was not drinking enough water. As simple as that. Subjectively I had never learned what dehydration felt like.

The other input I offer is that, as a side effect of discovering the above, if I forget to make a sandwich for work I can stave off the hunger pangs by gulping down half a litre or more of water with big glugs.

Drinking water after eating something makes me bloated and sluggish.

11. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

Isn't it funny how simple, small things can make such a difference?

I sometimes wonder how our ancestors ever managed to leave Africa. I mean, how on earth would they have known about things like this without science? If nothing more than not drinking enough water or not chewing enough can have such an impact, imagine the consequences of bigger things like, not pooping often enough or hemorrhoids?

No wonder we came up with old-wives tales about health and nutrition and "remedies". Even if most of them were inaccurate, the very few that weren't probably helped us survive as a species more than opposable thumbs have :D

12. RETARD

RETARD New Member

are you chewing boy?
    this is the worst BJ i've had all day!

sadly im not a chewer. if i stuff enough food in my face my body will get what it needs? mental note: must chew more :/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. leck

leck Member

Tried and tested communal knowledge (wisdom) passed down by generations is generally the answer :p. Most of the superstitious nonsense generally (eventually) gets exposed as ineffective/wrong through the above given enough time. Lots of 'old-wives tales' hold plenty of water ;)

Interestingly, science today is pretty much the same thing. Being isolation, observation, replication and documentation and given enough test cases and time, you'll normally end up with some interesting results. Same shit, but the (constantly) improving tools in all areas (isolation, observation, replication, documentation) greatly refine and accelerate the knowledge process.

But yes. As I am a witch doctor and village elder, my advice to you is eat mindfully and chew slowly. Take time to eat and savor your food. Not only will you enjoy it more, you will be less inclined to overeat. It also avoids putting your internal organs into the shock of trying to overcompensate which of course, leads to a whole bunch of associated symptoms.

To paraphrase, if you dive into water, you see violence and shock rippling across the water. The water is your body. If you walk into water slowly it is a much more gradual and kinder response. Treat your body gently and with respect. Science!

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Not really, the flipside of so much "known" is that people disregard the basic as "oh, it can't just be that, I won't bother starting there, I'll google and google and keep searching for "answers" which I won't understand because not only am I disregarding the basic information that would enable me to understand any of it, but I don't understand the basics". Lots of info, not so much on the understanding.

15. power

power Member

it's pretty well known that chewing your food rather than inhaling it is good for you.

I think it's funny that a doctor had to tell you, lol.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

I've been surprised by the speed at which some people eat when I've been at Mcdonalds and places like that. They'll wolf down an entire large meal while I'm only getting started on my small one. I'm sure there's a lot of people who've been trained to gulp their food by being told to "hurry up" at the dinner table. When a kid's trained that way, the adult won't know there's any other way.

17. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

I'm guilty of doing that in the past but over the last few years I've learnt to appreciate 'cheat' meals a lot more :)

There is also a difference between slow eaters and those that thoughtfully chew each bite!

18. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

You kinda have to eat quickly at Maccas or Jacks because the food goes cold so quickly (or is often cold to start with, I can't count the number of times I've gone back to the counter to ask them to make me a fresh order).

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, true, compounded by them putting the chips out to go cold while they wait for the burger to be made. Obviously, people have different speeds of eating, but some people just seem to down food at a tremendous speed, I don't know how they can taste any of it it's wolfed down so quickly. (probably another reason at mcdonalds :D)

20. ravencs

ravencs Member

You call chewing food until it removes all taste and you have a dead palatte is tasting? I prefer to keep eating quickly and bunching flavour on top of flavour.

Example: Green curry, nothing beats building on top of that creamy chilli burn by eating fast!

MOAR CHILLI

Btw, the OP and whole topic is rather dim / stupid / silly. If your basing malnutrition and digestion from eating fast, then its 1/50th of the problem. More likely due to being intolerant to some type of food. And nutritionists are like GP's. Good at pointing issues at basic answer, Bad at diagnosing brain tumors / the big issues..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014