1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys use insurance?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by UnexpectedError, May 10, 2020.

1. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Just wondering. I've dropped some decent cash into this hobby of late and I'm wondering if it would be worth insuring. I'd estimate current value of everything I've collected over years at $4-6k depending on receipt or market value. I don't have insurance on my primary residence so I doubt home and contents is an option.

Thoughts/experiences?

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You might find getting home and contents and adding it to that being the best way to do it.

Insurance wise pricing is pretty good but do note you are insuring for replacement value. So make sure when you are calculating that you work it out based on what you would spend to replace that gear.

Mostly is aimed at pros or heavily invested hobbyists/amateurs. Best you get in touch for quotes but PPIB/AON/Marsh/AIS are good and the most popular options. You can also look at going through a broker, and I do believe some of the other big insurers offer some sort of coverage now.

I have had mostly positive experiences through being insured over the years and any claims I have had to do. I had a fairly low number when I first jumped in (was about $12k when I first got insured) and it wasnt an issue.

3. Xang

Xang Member

Do you have $4-6k permanently in savings? What are the chances of your entire kit needing to be replaced at the same time?

For professional use, insurance is a no brainer. For personal use and lower amounts it's worth asking yourself these questions.

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

echoing deftone i would look into you house insurance policy and see if it will cover it. I know our home insurance says just take photo's of your rooms and the stuff in it so if anything happens you have a record.

as for being stolen etc while using the camera out and about that might be a different kettle of fish.

5. OP
    OP
    UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Thanks guys, I'm renting again at the moment so I'll just be extra careful for the time being. Main concern is dropping something and losing a solid investment. I've depleted my savings significantly at the moment Xang haha. You're right about the entire kit. I guess I'd just buy it again and upgrade.

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I have all my gear insured (along with liability insurance) as i use it for business purposes.
    Most people not doing that would just add it to their home contents.

If you dont have big $$'s in the gear then there are providers that should be able to provide cover for a decent range (as Deftone2k mentioned)

UnexpectedError likes this.