1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

DO you need new thermal paste when cpu HSF has been removed?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Guszast3r, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Guszast3r

Guszast3r Member

DO you need new thermal paste when cpu HSF has been removed and put back again?

2. power

power Member

need, no. But it is HIGHLY recommended, HIGHLY.

if you aren't going to apply any for whatever reason it's also best to thoroughly clean the surface as much as possible and only run without a thermal interface of any kind for as little time as possible.

3. OP
    OP
    Guszast3r

Guszast3r Member

like i mean that theres still thermal paste on there its just that they have been seperated.

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Generally that paste, is already dry and cured, you need some fresh stuff. But if you don't have any..depending on the condition of what’s on there, it should be able to do the job..temporarily.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. power

power Member

that paste will generally be worse than nothing at all.

6. OP
    OP
    Guszast3r

Guszast3r Member

ok thanks for your replies i guess i will have to get some then.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As a strict rule, I will always scrape off the old and reapply new thermal paste every time a cpu is replaced.
    It's relatively cheap and will last you a pretty good length of time if you are a casual upgrader.

8. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

well if your headed to the store you may as well get the appropriate sandpaper and lap/polish your cpu/hsf do a quick search on this might interest you.

9. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

If your HSF already has a mirror finish, don't bother lapping it. Half the time it does nothing, and occasionally it even increases temps!

10. OP
    OP
    Guszast3r

Guszast3r Member

kk yeah I dont really think I will bother with that. Just another question what do you use to get the old paste off its crusty?

11. jkmatt

jkmatt Member

a scrape with something plastic, like an old ID card/bankcard or guitar pick, then a quick clean with some alchohol or a no frills nail polish remover.

12. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

This is if it is flat. The point of lapping is to get the base perfectly flat, I see many mirror finishes but some hsf's still have some curvature.

13. t8y

t8y Member

sorta related

got some as5 and as3 from my system build ages ago (2001)
    had the lids on and havnt been exposed to any elements or anything, so id assume theres no used by shelf life on this stuff (?) as long as its gooey still ie: not dried out? the as5 had some small lumps in it last time i re-applied (a month ago), just scraped them aside and used the normal looking stuff. temps are fine (even a bit better, about a 10 degree lower load temp, but i did upgrade the fan from an 80mm to 120 aswell)

14. tk55

tk55 Member

bottom line, as long as the load temp is fine, it's perfectly ok even to reuse the old paste. that's my opinion anyway......

15. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

I know you've already come to a decision but just my 2 cents, It's not absolutely necessary to replace the thermal paste but if your overclocking or really need the lowest temps possible then replacing the paste would be recommended. I removed my HSF on my old PC and put back on without replacing the paste and it only went up a few harmless degrees.

16. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

hahahaha ... spoken like a non-overclocker; there's no such thing as "a few harmless degrees"

to the o.p. : the best cleaning agent is an alco-wipe, the alcohol swab used to prep skin for injections... good solvent (isopropyl alcohol) and ever so mildly abrasive to get all the junk off

17. disturbeddaniel

disturbeddaniel Member

Absolutely, but it all depends on your circumstances, although if said thermal paste is hard and gunky you are going to do some long term damage if you dont replace it before re-seating...

18. jkmatt

jkmatt Member

If its still actually a paste, yeah, have done it 10+ times with the stock HSF with some generic silver paste, no problem. He already mentioned it was crusty though, so no

19. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Member

If your overclocking and need 0 increase in temps, apply new stuff.

If you are a casual user not overclocking, you really don't need to bother IMO. Back when I was a hardware enthusiast with no job straight out of school I used to just do that day in day out on my pc's at home and it doesn't matter.

The only difference is a few degrees usually, with the exception of the occasional heat problem - Bottom line is if it works for you then do it. You are not going to fry your cpu as soon as you turn it on.

20. Nado

Nado Member

I was having problems with my pc overheating (admittedly it was the middle of summer and VERY hot) when i removed the HSF i noticed there was some 'air pockets' in the the compound (arctic silver). I assume it was creating hot spots cause after reapplying new compound the temps dropped to normal and the issue went away..
    now i would def replace thermal compound each time