Do you recommend this?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Roman_, May 10, 2013.

1. Roman_

Roman_ New Member

Hi

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this transition.

I have an early 2011 MBP, 2.2Ghz, 8gb ram, 512 SSD and have recently started doing consistent video editing.

The workflow in final cut pro x is great except I have massive problems with space. I'm presently fill up my SSD with work files and then start new projects on an external 1TB Firewire 800 drive.

However, this gets annoying... It's a pain in the ass having the extra plug and also the speed difference - especially when backing up. Once you go SSD, going back to slower drives is like going from a car to a horse... lol

At present I simply clone entire disks using Disk Utility but apparently there's a faster way where you scan the disk for differences and it only makes necessary updates instead of doing it all from scratch. Is this right?

My plan is to do this:
    1) buy a M500 crucial 960GB SSD (when they get more stock), remove my optical drive and have a 512SSD / 960SSD MBP setup;
    2) potentially upgrade to 16gb of ram (if it'll make a difference); and
    3) then backup both the using super duper to a 2TB firewire800 drive.

With this setup, I'll create various sparse disk bundles on the 960SSD drive to store my video projects (when I'm working on them), then I'll at some point archive them off to another external drive.

My questions are:
    1) do you have any suggestions or recommendations for this new proposed setup?
    2) is it worth getting a newer MBP with a faster CPU or will it not make much difference?

Many thanks :)

2. Mac-Pro

Mac-Pro Member

If you don't need the portability, switch to an iMac i7 27" with 3TB and fusion. You'll have a MUCH better video card, larger screen as well as a better processor and the option to upgrade to 32GB of RAM.

3. OP
    OP
    Roman_

Roman_ New Member

Thanks Mac-Pro

I'm going to stick portable for now because of travel.

4. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Look at rsync - It is a tool for mirroring files over networks, and it can also be used to mirror contents on a disk locally. It is command line driven, so you should tread carefully.

5. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Carbon Copy Cloner (from memory) does a full backup and then just adds changes afterwards. It used to be free so have a google around for it and you should be able to pick up the free version still.

I'd probably not bother upgrading the cpu at the moment, space seems to be your main issue so finding the money for a big ssd and optical bay kit seems more practical.

6. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

I highly recommend this blog when it comes to high-end photo and video performance on Mac.

http://macperformanceguide.com/

Dude seems to have his workflow quite sorted.

7. OP
    OP
    Roman_

Roman_ New Member

Nice resource. Thanks

I ended up caving in and buying a 7200 1TB drive (crucial are taking ages to bring out their C500 960GB SSDS) and installing it in the optibay - it's fine for media usage with FCPX anyway.

Also got a seagate thunderbolt adapter which I just plug my 2tb drive into for backups and extra room.

It's so much better having 1.5TB in the MBP :)

8. alexc

alexc Member

Going to 16GB is so cheap you should do it anyway :)

9. OP
    OP
    Roman_

Roman_ New Member

I was going to but after looking into it and checking some benchmarks, there doesn't seem to be much point at this stage - it'd be superfluous.

Got the 1TB internal drive and installed it. Turned out to be a busted drive. It looked good but after 10mins would auto eject. I've sent it back for a new one. Good thing I didn't buy from ebay or anything :)