Do you still use Microsoft Office?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by drunkntigr, Mar 22, 2021.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Precisely my point. Cloud all the things.

I love it, because for a percentage of the population we've finally moved on from "spreadsheets and emails are the solution to everything". That was a dark time for business (and still is, for many).

I'd be very worried about my career progression and AI taking over if my job today was STILL spreadsheets and emails. A terrifying thought for future employment prospects in an ever shrinking job market.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Five accounts with five devices each and 1TB each! And you can easily get that down closer to $100 / year if you buy during cashback/specials. For a long time I was using an old Office licence through Technet, but as that started to age out and new features crept in there was a desire to move to a newer version. My workplace was (far) behind the curve, so having the same (older) version at home worked reasonably well. But when they switched it was time for me to move too and with the kids getting older and getting their own computers too O365 started to make a lot of sense and was much easier than taking to the high seas and having to manage patches and hacks across multiple machines that could break at any point in time.

Email, Spreadsheets and Documents are still life in my world and while we are getting more and more systems that replace those, often people still want additional reports ABOUT the systems!!

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

/Cranky Ole Man Pants
    Non threaded chatops can just go fuck itself!

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Wait, MS Publisher?

1) What year is it?
    2) If you really need a desktop publishing program, go buy Affinity Publisher. It's a capable replacement for Adobe InDesign, it's cheap, and blows Microsoft's toy DTP out of the water.

5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

lol, I don't understand why people pay for this shit today. There is no need for the average consumer whether business or personal.

But hey, if you like pissing money up against the wall, you do you.

6. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

It's just a scam, right?

7. kogi

kogi Member

I am on office, but will look at switching back now libre can do barcodes in mail merge

Also microsoft, how hard is it to export to csv, I want to export, not save as

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The business offerings are pretty competitively priced once you factor in hosted Exchange, and even the home version of Microsoft 365 is a pretty good deal if you think of it more as "pay for 1TB of cloud storage, get an office suite thrown in".

9. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

No there are just great free products available.

10. connico

connico Member

Yeah I like that 1TB of space for all members of my family... its help avert disasters for my inlaws and my parents where thier laptops hard drives have died... all the important shit was on the cloud...

Its a convenience also, old people dont want to relearn applications no matter how free it is.

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

This.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

people need to move on from the fallacy that learning stops when you leave school. (doesn't apply to only 'old' people - come across many in their 20's that refuse to learn anything new - unless it's a new app on their phone, then they're all over it link stink on shit, but learn something new at work, no way)

keep up to date or be left behind/replaced.

13. connico

connico Member

... why reinvent the wheel...

Old people know office, office still exists, it keeps on getting updated and it has the same features that all the other copy applications have.

Why should someone that has to provide support for these old people tell them, "no because I'm your free tech support you will conform to the applications that I give you" just because of some fucking chump change. Also why the fuck would I add more work for myself?

Learning doesnt stop true... but why migrate to an application that does exactly the same thing as the application you are using already just because its "free"... Free for who?? me? How about the man hours I have to provide initial support for the migration?

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Fixed it for you. This is why Microsoft and Apple (long ago) gave their software free to education, now you pay a reduced rate for the privilege because the mind share has been won. People don't see software as something to get excited over, its just something they use, so until its broken or excessively expensive they will continue to use what they know.

flu!d likes this.
  15. cvidler

cvidler Member

Adobe/Autodesk/etc. joins the chat.

keep getting more and more expensive, subscriptions etc etc. and people are stuck using them because too lazy to change.

16. kogi

kogi Member

I would love to move from photoshop to gimp, but time & effort vs money means I will never bother

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Fixed it for you. ;) Because if your really want to do something you will find the time and effort, you know I would love to sit on the couch all weekend and watch the entire boxset for <INSERT SHOW OF INTEREST>, you find the time.

kogi likes this.
  18. elvis

I know. I work with them. It's horrendous.

And besides, MS Office never changes its interface, so you never have to learn new things. It's been the same since Office 95, right?

19. connico

connico Member

Well there was a small uprising when they fucking introduced ribbons...

20. elvis

This is my point. The people insisting MS Office is used because "everyone's used to the interface" can't seem to account for the fact that the interface constantly changes between releases, and somehow people are used to that.

There is no consistency in software. Windows changes, Office changes, websites change, everything changes. Change *is* the only constant. The argument that random alternatives to popular things are utterly incomprehensible because they're different really makes no sense at all.

At any rate, someone who can't deal with a different word processor is enough of a litmus test for me. That's a person I don't want to work with, so I'm quite happy when they volunteer that sort of information, as it allows me to avoid a lot of future pain.