Do you think Apple will give me a new battery?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by warhead, Apr 22, 2012.

1. warhead

warhead Member

I have an older model MBP ( 07 or 08 model ) with a replaced battery about 2-3yrs ago. Sometime last year I noticed a bit of swelling on the underside of the battery and thought it best to remove it and just run my laptop off mains power. I left this battery sitting around for the last 5-7 months ( just sitting on one of my desks ) and when I found it today, my gosh, what a sight.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I had a brief google search for similar issues and read that this had happened before but was later solved in an updated version of the battery pack. Scary thing is that my battery IS the new version.

2. damo13579

damo13579 Member

nope, wont get a new battery unless you pay for it. not sure what a new battery goes for, i think it is around $150ish for a genuine one

3. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

If it was younger you could most probably claim it as a manufacturing defect but since it is so long ago it would be outside the products lifetime even with the ACCCs new rules.

4. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

You should have taken it in as soon as you noticed even the tiniest bulge.

ANY bulging in a battery is seriously bad news. It means it's already failed internally. :shock:

5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I don't think any manufacturers warranty the battery. If it was <1 year old it might be covered by the statutory warranty, but no chance now.

(Then again, apple did replace the video card in my 2nd hand Mac Pro that was >1 year out-of-warranty, but they admitted that was a bad model.)

6. mtma

mtma Member

My mate's macbook (roughly same vintage - though I think it was early 09) also did this about a year ago, no dice on getting a new one on warranty.

He's either going to get a $40 ebay one or throw the thing out, though the latter is looking a bit more likely as his power adapter's died as well.

7. damo13579

damo13579 Member

apple will cover if still under warranty. has to be under a certain cycle count and have lost a certain amount of the full charge capacity

8. .spectre.

.spectre. Member

Apple will say:
    "It's not our problem.
    You're not charging it right"

9. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

All manufacturers give warranty on batteries. They have to, its the law.

10. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

While chances are you won't get a new battery for free, I'd give it a shot.
    It all depends if the "Genius" is in a good mood. Get a hot chick to take it in if you can...

11. Paronga

Paronga Member

i've tried it before.
    it was out of warranty so no dice.

also, when they expand like that, they're not too bad
    i've had one sitting around for a year and it's fine. hasn't blown up!

worth a shot thought

12. wwwww

wwwww Member

Statutory warranties on batteries rarely exceed 1 yr.

13. garetz

garetz Member

Unless you can prove there is a design flaw, or inherent issue common too all of those batteries that puts the responsibility of replacement on apple. Apple will probably not agree to this so would require a class action lawsuit to make them accede. Otherwise its out of warranty and you got no claim.

14. Paronga

Paronga Member

what did piss me off was that they had no recycle program for the dead batteries.

I just wanted them out of my life, but felt too guilty putting them in the bin!

it's amazing how the new (2007?) unibody laptops don't seem to expand!
    or my iPad or iPhone.

they really upped the quality with unibody!

15. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

apple will not cover it unless there it meets conditions under APP which i would say this is out of and anything older than 5 years old they will not have any stock for.
    As soon as they see something as vintage good luck getting parts

you might, and it is a big might get them to cover any damage to the mac if you got it repaired at a Service provider but you would still have to pay for the battery replacement

16. OP
    OP
    warhead

warhead Member

I should've been more clear in my original post - my question was intended to be rhetorical and to just show the shoddy battery.

Note that there's another MBP from the same era in this house that is on it's 2nd battery and it too is starting to swell.

I don't use the macbook much anymore so it doesn't really bother me. Now I'm more concerned about how to dispose of it properly. I don't want it to "pop" or explode in any way.

17. scrad

scrad Member

I have the same era mbp, and have been through 2 batteries on it now. The machine is a bit old, but still usable, so its a bit annoying that you have to have it plugged in to use it. I spotted some replacements on ebay for $30, beats the $200 that apple wants for the battery to last just over a year.

At that rate, the ebay cheapie only needs to last 2 months for it to be cheaper than the genuine thing. I will report back if/when i end up buying one.

18. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Hi,

I had the same problem on my 17" 2008 system. Apple did not replace the battery when I asked them to.

19. proffesso

proffesso Member

I had to replace my 2006 mbp battery once in 2009 or 2010...not bad really...new one has been fine as well, though I have barely used the laptop in the last couple of years

20. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Also, Apple will dispose of the battery for you free of charge if you take it into a retail store.