1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Document Management Systems

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by nitro_jawt, Aug 27, 2010.

1. nitro_jawt

nitro_jawt Member

Hi all, we're looking for a document management system that can provide workflow management, access approval, version control etc. Does anyone have any experience with products that might fit this that they would recommend?

Thanks.

2. power

power Member

What about Sharepoint?

3. Search

Search Member

4. OP
    OP
    nitro_jawt

nitro_jawt Member

Not sure about budget, will depend on what can be justified, but I'm going lean towards the smaller side if history tells me anything. Around 100 staff.

Sharepoint is certainly an option, but there must be others out there...

5. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Fuji Xerox - Docushare

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

I can't seem to find the Open Source version on that site... do you know where it is located? :thumbup:

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

9. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

10. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

11. exodus_68

exodus_68 Member

You have a lot of options. In the case of EDMS there really is no product that is going to do everything, especially not 'straight off the shelf'.

You will really need to decide what the overall budget is for the project before you can make any decisions on possible products. Keep in mind you need to budget for development and customistaion as well as user training, on top of the expense of the product if you chose a pay-for product.

Currently we have a product in place called Recfind and I can't say I would recommend you race out to purchase that one...it is quite unfriendly for the user and the management side is not particularly impressive.

You could look at options like Trim or Hummingbird which are sold as off the shelf products, cost a lot of money, and will need customisation and development to fit an organisation. Alternatively you look at Sharepoint and MOSS but you will also need to spend a good amount on development on top of the cost of the product.
    As Elvis suggested there is KnowledgeTree community, plus others likes Joomla and Plone all of which have community versions and all of which will require significant amounts of development...but of course you won't have to buy them in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  12. kbekus

kbekus Member

lots of choices I've admin'd/used : Lotus Domino.Doc, Trim (best I've used), RecFind, Sharepoint.

how much money do you have to spend? how long to implement?

13. g1g@8yT3

g1g@8yT3 Member

14. narkotix

narkotix Member

Trim or hummingbird...

15. barbz

barbz Member

We use Interwoven/Autonomys Worksite or Desksite.

The client integrates with outlook which makes life easy for staff, it also does email management and given its bolted into outlook makes it a no brainer for staff to profile in/out bound emails.

Weve being on it for the last 6 years with close to 3 million docs from 110-120 staff. Its not cheap but works brilliantly.

They also have mobile clients for i devices and blackberries.

Let me know if you want any extra information.

Paul

16. wipeout

wipeout Member

As others have said, there are many enterprise content management solutions on the market. Selection will depend on your requirements, however I've noticed the leading open source vendor hasn't yet been mentioned: http://www.alfresco.com/

17. DanWA

DanWA Member

trim is a piece of shit for end users but easy to admin :)

18. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

DanWA - Why? We're looking at possibly migrating from Bluepoint (Lotus Database) to Trim down the track.

19. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

To the OP, some questions that you need to think about and / or post here :)

A) Size of your organisation, one office, more offices, 10 staff.. 50 staff... thousands of staff... how many of them will need to interact with this system? This is an important thing to know, because it will partially dictate the type of solution you are looking into, you may come across a good product, but then find it really can't handle much more than 10 or 20 people logged onto it at once, converesly you don't want to overkill the problem with a system that is designed for thousands of concurrent users if you've got a head office with only 10 or so people in it...

B) Nature of 'documents' to be stored... are we talking purely user created documets, system or application generated documents (be they letters, reports and so forth), this - I suppose - is really defining what you mean by the word... 'document'.

C) Volume of documents, how many do you need to store? What sort of growth rate in documents do you anticipate? Are you looking at keeping various copies of documents over time or something that uses differentials to reduce space? This is important because you need to make sure your selected solution can scale properly, there's no point implementing a solution that will need to be replaced inside 3 years.

E) Access, how do you want people to access the documents? Do you need to provide access to internal staff only, or to 3rd parties & customers? Who will be the 'consumer' of any such system and what are their expectations? Intranet, extranet, customer service portal, or client software?

F) Security? How important is security and auditing? Do you want to restrict what documents can be seen based on user security privileges? Do you need to log who has worked on or viewed which documents and at which time?
    This is CRITICAL in any environment where privacy laws may be in effect and documentation is covered by the privacy act. Seriously the last thing you want to be involved in is some for of legal discovery process and have a lawyer ask you to provide names, dates and times at which a contolled document was accessed and only to be sitting there with your jaw hanging open going 'duuuuuuh, i dunno'.... not a good look.

Only when you have sat down and answered these (and other) questions can you then begin to draw up a list of products on the market and begin speaking to 3rd party vendors and / or consultants about selecting candidate systems.

-NyarghNia

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  20. geniesis

geniesis Member

Take a look a webparts360.

www.webparts360.com

It leverages off sharepoint, and provides a much better interface for you to be able to manipulate work flows, database interactions and custom logic.

There are several flash videos on the site demonstrating the product in action.