Document Management Systems

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by nitro_jawt, Aug 27, 2010.

1. DanWA

DanWA Member

It is hard to search

Has been very hard introducing older people to

The outlook plugin can be very dodgy at times

It is very expensive

2. exodus_68

exodus_68 Member

Sounds like most other products then...
    :cool:

3. kbekus

kbekus Member

I find most Document Management Systems add a significant level of complexity and overhead to the file save / load process. You really need management buy in on a project of this type - if the upper level people don't use it or promote it, then it's just going to linger like a bad smell, but not get used to it's fullest.

Having said that, of the several products I've used, I found TRIM, especially Context, easiest to navigate and browse for files. It has an explorer extension that makes it a little like browsing a typical file share. And the capability of taking documents 'out' to carry on a notebook works well. <- that's another point, do you have roaming or regional users? If so, it might be worth investigating cloud based solutions.. these also work well for things like iPads.

4. narkotix

narkotix Member

worked fine from where I worked previously and that was a very large (4k+ users) deployment....

search is as good as the metadata put into it...put crap in...you get crap results..

5. Tinian

Tinian Member

I'd advise against moving to Trim. Seriously. Pick something else.

If end user functionality is what you're after, Trim isn't the solution. If a seamless electronic/ paper document management system is what you;'re after, Trim isn't the solution. If collaboration is what you're after à la Sharepoint et. al, Trim isn't the solution.

6. narkotix

narkotix Member

nice try EMC :tongue:

7. Tinian

Tinian Member

I'm not selling anything here, but EMC Documentum was used for the Australian Government Online Service Portal (AGOSP) australia.gov.au :thumbup:

I've also migrated to Hummingbird from TRIM. Sharepoint (MOSS) from TRIM. I just don't like TRIM. :lol:

8. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

+1 for Alfresco, massively improved product of late. Does SharePoint better than SharePoint if you ask me.

9. grs1961

grs1961 Member

Don't. Just ... don't.

It is bloody atrocious, its search tools are useless (it's easier to 'find . -type f -exec grep blahblahblah /dev/null {} +'), their support (paid support, mind you), are more incompetent than any 10 others, ...

Printing the documents out and filing them in shoeboxes would be better.

10. Glide

Glide Member

Good thread. While were are on the same sort of thread, does anyone know of good forms and process management software that does not take a degree to operate?

Something basic, user form -> approvers -> action - everything I have looked at is like taking a sledge hammer to a mosquito.

11. Joehax

Joehax Member

Are you at my client site? We're deploying this now.

12. narkotix

narkotix Member

fair enuff.....vicgov is predominately TRIM and it works well though the only hangup was the shitty ice web interface (v7 changed all that)

I've been involved with another massive hummingbird install and it does well...

my only hangup is sharepoint is not an EDMS (its not compliant with anything - think vers, as4390, etc)

anyway good healthy debate from all, and im only taking a dig at ya ;-)

13. g1g@8yT3

g1g@8yT3 Member

No, Im in Perth. Just deployed 7.5 Server to a fed gov agency, so far so good all running smoothly.

14. OP
    OP
    nitro_jawt

nitro_jawt Member

Thanks for all the responses - has been a very informative discussion. Looks like I have a short list of things to look into now.

15. Lukenet

Lukenet Member

sorry to revive this thread.. How do you find alfresco.

We are implementing a QA system so doc management has become critical business process. I want to get this right first time if possible.