Dodgy drive behaviour

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by blackied, Apr 11, 2015.

1. blackied

blackied Member

Hi All,
    I have a esxi box running napp-it with a 20tb pool (4x4tb raidz1 + 4x2tb raidz1), with ~14tb useable and 3tb free.

Earlier this week I started having issues accessing recently created files on the pool - videos would stop working, downloads would dropout, copying would error. Somehow smart didn't get installed properly on the VM so I've just made a fresh all-in-one vm and migrated the pool over. Having checked smart it says one of the 2tb drives failed, but the pool itself isn't degraded. Would that account for the entire share dropping out, and if so why only for newer files?

2. OP
    OP
    blackied

blackied Member

So I went out and bought a 4tb WD Red to replace the dodgy drive and plugged it in. Turns out I swapped the wrong drive, so I try again. Eventually I find it, but in the process the pool seems to have gotten corrupted. It's duplicated the dodgy drive and says both are unavailable. Since it's a raidz1 and '2' devices have failed, the pool is now faulty and won't restore. Any suggestions?

3. fnp

fnp Member

Restore from your offline backups :leet:

(we all know RAID isn't a backup solution, right?)

4. OP
    OP
    blackied

blackied Member

Well, I put it back together as it and all is suddenly well again. Now I've just gotta figure out how to replace this drive...

5. OP
    OP
    blackied

blackied Member

Ok, I've tried pulling the drive out again and the pool isn't faulted. However it's refusing to replace the dodgy drive due to sector alignment issue. I thought I'd made the pool with 4k sectors, but maybe not?

How do I get it to resilver? I don't have enough money/drives to temporarily relocate all of the data so I can rebuild the pool. I've discovered some spare 2tb drives that were originally used in the pool before I went to the 4tbs. Should I just run one of them in and leave it till I can afford to replace the pool?