Dodo Internet

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Madengineer, Jun 9, 2012.

1. caspian

caspian Member

true, although suckage from things like overcontended links and proxies then has to be taken into account too.

MadEngineer - Are you actually asking for a decent ISP, or are you asking for the cheapest ISP???[/QUOTE]

chances are both, but as always the triangle of choice applies.

fast
    cheap
    good

pick any two.

2. HeXa

HeXa Member

your bro was too slow.... $69 all I can eat TPG offnet ADSL here :thumbup:

3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

+100

As I stated earlier, I was with them for about three years and their service was outstanding. Had some issues with commissioning when I moved from a house into a unit after about 1 year's tenure but I was able to get into the MDF and confirm it wasn't a problem with premises cabling so I didn't get charged a pointless callout fee, then they kicked Telstra's arse into gear and got it fixed within 48 hours.

I probably had to call them about five or six times during my tenure, regarding either moving or delaying a direct debit/unsuspending the service because my pay cycle didn't quite line up with their DD billing. They were always Australian, always incredibly helpful and friendly to deal with, always instantly willing to re-enable the suspended service once I gave them a date on which payment would be received (even after two or three failed DD's), always generally awesome.

TBH I feel a bit like a bit of a bastard for ditching them, but I had the benefit of knowing the previous tenant of my current address personally. He was with TPG for ~4 years and never had an issue with prompt connection/line rate/stability/billing/support at this address, so I kind of had the inside track there. And they were cheaper.

If you're not lucky enough to have that backstory though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend iiNet in a heartbeat to anybody who wants an easy-to-deal-with, honest, reliable and fast ISP.

This got a giggle out of me. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Maybe take this chance to move on from Dodo..: )

5. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I used to be with dodo way back. Dial up. "unlimited downloads", and yet they complained that I was using too much. They wanted to put me on some business plan or some crap. Have not gone back.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The obscure "fair use policy" in full effect! You were obviously a high end user ; )

Some companies still use this fair use policy I think. It's just an excuse to cut off the outliers.

7. iphex

iphex (Banned or Deleted)

I had similar with TPG's unlimited, pulled almost 5tb in one month, got a phonecall saying to kerb my usage or they would throttle my connection.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Rofl.....nice work to warrant a phone call, wow. What connection speed/quota?

9. kandrews

kandrews Member

The Haters will always Hate without knowing anything, a true sign of TOTAL Ignorance

Right, I am currently with Dodo and I have consistently downloaded a little over 1.2TB per month for the past 9 months. No problems whatsoever.

What the other "haters" can not admit, is how much they can download for only $40 a month.........:) Right, they simply can't. Ha Ha Ha......Loving it so much, my only advice to the haters, please stay were you are nobody wants you here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  10. biatch

biatch Member

Yes... that's exactly why "the haters" are hating on Dodo.... because they are ignorant and don't know anything.
    Good lord. :shock:

11. iphex

Just wait till the net drops out for an extended period of time or you get slowdowns and have to ring them.

12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah, well one day you might find why people hate on Dodo so much. I used to be like you, a Dodo lover. My unlimited quota connection was great, 1TB in a month no problems, nice speeds, good uptime. Then I moved and tried to get my connection transferred, and that was hell.

The support in that place is just non-existent. I hope you never find yourself needing it.

13. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

14. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I'm not sure that's so accurate. I typed in my address and it showed multiple ISPs being active and available when I have been rejected by 2 of them due to no ports being available.

15. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Pretty much this, I've been with Dodo for years and had the occasional dropout / congestion but generally for the price you pay it is pretty reliable.

16. iphex

ADSL2 unlimited, i was pretty close to the exchange, got around 1.7Mb's. Wasnt much congestion either which was also very good.

17. kandrews

kandrews Member

The funny thing is I have never had a single drop-out, maybe because I'm still using a 7800N after two years now.

I'm stuck like the rest of you using a plain old Copper-line connected to a Telstra exchange. Hence I need to be connected 24/7 to even reach 1.2TB per month.

So I can not have a dead, faulty connection due to the vast amount of download capacity. I still have to keep buying more hard drives per fortnight to keep up.

So for me, this has been fantastic. I've downloaded more in one year than I ever could in 5 years with iiNet, iPrimus and BigPond - that is the simple reality.

18. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Dodo ADSL 2+ unlimited 5 years now, I flog the crap out of it and on the rare occation that I've had issues it was rectified in no time by an Indian called Harry.

All for $30.00 per month.

19. iphex

Not to sure why your defending Dodo.

The moment you have issues, you will the first to post up on the forums having an epic cry about the lack of service and having to talk to someone halfway across the world.

20. t8y

t8y Member

recently swapped from the ISP i used to work for ($50 for 50GB, + line rental), to dodo unlimited bundled for $29 (+ line rental).
    figure if i need support, if its my end i can fix or at least diagnose to the point where i can point blame elsewhere, then report it on and let the process go.

took nearly a month to get connected, had to call them to basically get them to initialize each step of the process from start to finish..
    other than that, fine.

hopefully wont need to call them until i relocate/disconnect it. am not on a contract -fuck that for an idea, i know their reputation full well- so can just walk away whenever i guess.

did have an outage, did the usual at my end then called, they had a message on the phones advising they were aware of it already. fair enough, saves me talking to someone or pulling my hair out troubleshooting further :thumbup:

otherwise, pings to game servers same as old ISP, sync same, though obviously nothings really changed physically at my end/exchange.
    just that now im paying almost half the price from before, for as much internet as i can use.
    ~6mbit max sync where i am (4kms from exchange, ~50dB iirc), it isnt much, but i sure as shit use more than 50GB per month anyway (some days, over 40gb per day. wouldnt have dared do that on the old ISP plan!).

fuck supporting local ISPs when they treated me like shit when i worked for one, i say.. and their quota/price was a fucking joke for 2012 any way.

have not recommended dodo to friends/family though - well the non-technical ones at least. mainly coz i dont want to end up troubleshooting it for them when they "cbf talking to some bloody *insert 3rd world nationality here*", like most people complain.

if you dont need tech support, dont mind potentially congested network (depending on location) then go for it i say, cant beat them prices!
    likely no worse than TPG or any of the other outsourced support mob, but you pay less for more. nothing to complain about there, if you know what to expect.

edit: my new work is on dodo unlimited also, the shop is quite close to the exchange so gets 22+mbit speeds (on a bad day!), and occasionally am allowed to take full advantage of that connection.. very very nice :thumbup: