Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I can't believe I'm actually maxing out my ADSL2+ connection.

I'm running some home servers and find I now get stutter when I play games at the same time. When we move to our next house I wonder if it's worth putting FTTH on the wishlist.

Do you have FTTH in your area yet? What's the service like? How much are you paying and what do you get?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Could also look for an area with cable.

I went from 5mbit ADSL2 to 110+mbit cable, the difference is just night and day. Suddenly we can have everyone using the net including people torrenting without affecting everyone. Me and brother can actually game with a <30ms ping while torrenting and while parents and sister on youtube, I could never do that on ADSL2.

Not to mention it's pretty awesome going from 500kb/s downloads up to 14+mb/s downloads.

That said I'd be keen to hear of peoples experience on NBN too if anyone can share :)

3. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I've got FTTH, but it's not NBN per se, it's just what we get in the outer suburbs in Melbourne.

This is a test I just ran then.

It's not as far as normal, think I need to setup pfsense to handle the speed.

But still not bad, I've been downloading at 10.5MB/s (MegaBYTES, not megaBITS)

[​IMG]

It's currently costing me $115 per month for a 100mb/s down, 40mb/s up for 600gb

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  4. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Where I'm located the best you can do is ADSL2+ (20Mbps) and I get 1.8Mb/s down and I easily feel that when I'm doing more then 2 things that require a consistent connection.

Family member has NBN but knew very little about it and what plan they're on (new house, they were convinced to get it). Ping was around 10ms/15ms instead of the usual 30/50ms that I get on those servers but the DL speed was 1.2Mb/s.

5. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

library i've done some work for has NBN for a few weeks now

downloaded 2 or 3 things at once at about 3MB/s each without any hassles a couple weeks ago

mind you this connection is shared with a couple hundred other pc's as well, was pretty impressed with the speed considering it's fairly heavily used

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

Seems awfully slow...

I can't wait to move to the new house.. nbn is meant to be there in a few months or so..

currently i'm lucky if i can DL at 400kb/s

7. Primüs

Primüs Member

The person in question probably went for the cheapest plan so would have only 12/1 mbit speed.

That is my only gripe with NBN, cheapest option appears to be $45-50 per month. ACCC forced Telstra pricing changes around August last year which left a lot of people paying $29.95 on Telstra infrastructure provided DSL tails having to pay $45-50 also, the lower end of the market just disappeared. Not everyone wants, or needs 12mbit or higher.

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

yeah.. still faster than what i'm on now..

9. BakemandShakem

BakemandShakem (Banned or Deleted)

I've had 100/40 for a while now, apart from the obvious speed increase is how stable my Internet is now, no dropouts or shitty syncs etc.

10. caspian

caspian Member

I've got the NBN, how much did you want?

[​IMG]

11. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I know very little about NBN since it'll be a while till my area gets it.. setting it up is more then buying a modem and being done with it. I assume that 'big box' in the garage or on the side of your house would help alot with that:thumbup:

Soo neat, how it always should be:thumbup:

12. Pugs

Pugs Member

needs moar fibre...

13. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Five yellows and a white, please.

14. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

We can not get it here in my town there was a lady representing Huawei who are working on some of it and said we can not get it in our town. Think more country towns will be the same and the government are just keeping quiet about it. We are stuck on ADSL 2+

15. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

NBN does work as advertised, but if there are any problems with an individual service, they stubbornly resist to look into the problem until a lot of arduous TSing is completed. Worse than Telstra in that regard.
    Your carrier is probably Opticomm. Great services... when they work. Fucking horrible company to deal with. Only other FTTH carriers are OpeNetworks and Telstra.

16. krappo

krappo Member

[​IMG]

With iinet 100/40 and 1tb downloads.
    im in Internets heaven :)

17. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

whats the biggest plan NBN for download limits? i have shitty adsl2 and have a 1.1TB plan and i use it up pretty much every month. i'd eat thru 1tb in a few days on NBN :Paranoid:

18. caspian

caspian Member

bear in mind the NBN does not supply any amount of data allowance - that's up to your ISP.

I have 100Mbps fibre (not NBN, but a slightly older Telstra iteration) and it will basically run as fast as my cheap and cheerful router will.

I can stream 4K video on the test rig at work.

19. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

What kind of blade switches are at the bottom there?

20. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Where are you located and what do you pay?

Good point. Can peeps pls mention their quota. This is really important, although hardly ever mentioned.