Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Merudo

Merudo Member

No it's not? I'd honestly rather a cessation of all work until they worked out a more efficient way of rolling out the NBN as it is right now rather than a severely sub-par initiative that costs almost as much and ensures extra cost down the road as well.

Read any page of this thread since it's become such a circlejerk, you'll see why the coalition plan is no good. Also, you should be saying 100Mbps+ fibre.

2. PacketStorm4

PacketStorm4 Member

To answer the initial question,
    Yes, we have used the NBN in Townsville.

You have no idea what your missing out on! Its incredibly fast, even during peak times.
    You can see a slight decrease in speed during peak times.

Bring on FTTH everywhere else!

3. caspian

caspian Member

no way mate, if you want an extension you will be paying.

4. caspian

caspian Member

I'm complaining about the coalition's "alternative" because it's a tiny fraction of the performance at most of the price.

I spent over 6 months as the level 2 support for Telstra's trial of VDSL2, and I was on the vendor engagement project team for over 12 months. as a result, I think I've got about as much experience as anyone does in getting VDSL2 to work in the real world, and while it can work OK, the trial showed clearly that the performance is very, very sensitive to CAN conditions.

some technologies like vectoring may help, but I can't help feel that once the entire CAN is carrying multiple parallel VDSL2 circuits it won't help much.

I also have a heap of operational concerns over the copper itself, including current condition, ongoing maintenance, and standards. the LNP plan has handwaved past some very significant costs in this regard that we quantified in 2008/9, which right away makes the overall cost of the scheme very close to the ALP plan, and all to make the political differentiation of reusing a dying physical asset.

like the ALP refusal to use the LNP illegal boat people solution, the LNP's not-invented-here rejection of FTTP is dumb in both the short and long terms. at best it's a feel-good expedience of some people getting access to a mediocre solution a little sooner than they might otherwise have, with the downsides that that's the best they will get for a long time, until all the copper has to be overbuilt with fibre anyway.

5. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Too true.

Less than 10% of the performance for 80% of the cost. Idiotic.

6. FiShy

FiShy Member

Well if you don't want to pay more for less then you are unaustralian.

7. Omarko

Omarko Member

dont get me started on NBN, its apparently not coming to our area until 2016 (part of Baulkham Hills NSW) ... thats right ... 2016 !!!!!

and I'm on ADSL2+ with max connection of 5000kbits ... yep, thats around 580kb/s and not many other options.

8. Zultanna

Zultanna (Banned or Deleted)

And?

And you think the other 9 million homes are any less important then yourself?

Your in Sydney, be happy you actually have a connection.

9. Beetroot

Beetroot Member

what if labor said we will be adding the internet filter to your NBNco networks would people still be interested? Will this happen:shock:

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i would take fttp plus filter over fttn and no filter without a doubt.

11. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

20% saving is still there.

pay for the ftth yourself is always an option. honestly i can't see the majority of the general public needing 100Mbit to use the internet over wifi. most (non-geek) people i know rarely upgrade their routers - a friend of mine is still on b - he was one of the loudest complainers about the LNP policy, wouldn't even realise that he probably wouldn't get any improvement over his adsl.

imo - everyone wants shit for free. the welfare state of giving free handouts has to end sometime soon, esp as the mining sectors starts tankin

12. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

That analogy is shit. Speed of transmission is different to the data rate. one and off is one bit. you have to encode to get higher bit rates, but then you have to pump up the power so you can distinguish the bits from the background noise.

as you pum up the power you get non-linear effects that effect the SNR - add in more wavelengths and you get even more non-linearity. non-linearity is almost impossible to compensate for.

Read this, i cbf digging up my own paper on the topic
    http://modegap.eu/wp-content/upload...Shannon-limit-and-the-need-for-new-fibres.pdf

imo - by the time the NBN is done, fiber technology will have moved on completely - the project is going to be a huge white elephant.

pretty much correct, but as you bump up the data-rate interference increases. however, while what you said is theoretically true - the longer the fiber the more white noise is introduced into the channel

13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

you have a paper on this topic, but don't have it easily to hand, and yet it's no trouble at all to dig up a link to someone else's paper?

14. drizzy

drizzy Member

It's not the NBN, but I have VDSL2 with BT in the UK. Lucky enough to be relatively close to the cabinet so sync at the max 80000/20000 and get about 76mb/16mb on speedtest.net.

The bandwidth is very nice, I can play QW while someone else is streaming netflix HD and maybe have a twitchtv stream in the background and Spotify running and still get a very very stable ping with no jitter. Virtually indistinguishable from a quiet line.

Base latency is no better than ADSL at about 5ms first hop when on fastpath.

No traffic limits with BT but there's a lot of mystery traffic shaping and some bizarre routing where my traffic heads up to Sheffield and back before hitting London servers means I'll probably move to a more 'enthusiast' level ISP who a. don't do this and b. have traffic caps

15. iinsom

iinsom Member

Ive got no dramas paying for an installation for a 100/40 connection (heck, ive had to pay for my cable installation so its to be expected) but i understand what you're saying.

I dont even know when the NBN is coming to my area :(

16. caspian

caspian Member

as would I. childish filters are easily bypassed should they restrict what I want to see, which isn't for some self righteous bureaucrat to define.

but you can't do much without a decent method of access in the first place.

not that I think it's a problem anyway, and then filters can be changed later. you just have to have the infrastructure.

17. ACAlover

ACAlover (Banned or Deleted)

If your in a cable area you will be one of the last done.

For good reason as well

18. GooSE

GooSE New Member

What do you propose will replace it? 40GPON has been demonstrated already. Do you think 40 Gbps won't cut it? Why?

My parents have cable and NBN construction has already started in their area.

19. caspian

caspian Member

people have no idea what we've got up our sleeve to increase bandwidth on fibre. ;-)

but we need the fibre in the ground first, the electronics is the easy bit.

20. iinsom

iinsom Member

Why is that? Because my 1mbit/s upload is sufficient?