Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd actually be quite happy for years to come sitting on the current Telstra Cable account I have. Speed is great, price is reasonable. But not everyone has access to cable to I'm hoping NBN doesn't get mothballed by the opposition.

2. krappo

krappo Member

Kingston Beach and on the 99.95$ pm plan
    100/40 500gb peak + 500gb opeak

:shock:

3. krappo

krappo Member

havnt yet seen anything bigger than the one im on

:D

4. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

yeah i understand that i should have worded it better. pretty much meant what ISP provides the biggest quota on the NBN network.

i think 1tb should be minimum really.

5. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I'm with Internode through OpeNetworks. I've only had it 1 month, so no idea what the company is like. But so far so good. :D

I wish! I'm on a 100/40 600gb (No Peak) plan and I pay $115p/m I think... :Paranoid:

6. caspian

caspian Member

Cisco. used for DCN.

minimum for your needs, or minimum generally available? the latter exceeds the general public's data allowance needs by about 20,000% or so. literally.

7. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

They remind me of the N7010 but I don't think that comes in a "short" version like the one pictured there.

8. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

That's the docklands discovery centre isn't it?

9. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

I'm talking post nbn when its fully up and running with the content it would provide, streaming services etc so yes i mean minimum

10. caspian

caspian Member

yes. the pretty bit of it. :D

unneeded. don't assume the bandwidth a geek uses in any way represents a public average.

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

I've had 100Mbps internet for over 2 years and, whilst it's great, it's rare to find something on the other end of the string to deliver something at that kind of speed.

Im hoping that ubiquitous fibe around the country (and i assume massive increases in international capacity?) means that content can actually be pumped down the line at a sufficient rate to max a 100Mbps connection.

12. BakemandShakem

BakemandShakem (Banned or Deleted)

Node do 1tb with unlimited uploads as well.

13. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I think it will be great to have 100Mbps... In the USA.

NBN is still a little useless, yes it gives you amazing peak speeds compared to ADSL.

But With 600Gb download limits its like buy a super car with a 1L fuel tank, its just silly.

I have unlimited ADSL2+, managed to download about 2TB on it a while back, now I know that is not normal, but on an average month I still hit 1TB or more, and I am sure if I had 24Mbps upload speeds on ADSL2, I would be hitting just as much uploading.

I normally have to bring all my stuff to work to upload using out 100Mbps test fibre internet. (mainly video and photos transferred to clients, youtube and cloud).

I just hope someone releases unlimited 100/40 NBN plans if we ever get NBN.

I was reading comms day and they were saying that backhaul keeps getting cheaper and cheaper (not sure how CVC costs will destroy that idea though)

14. OldMate

OldMate Member

all these speeds are making me jealous...
    Speedtest says (to a server less than 20km away) ping of 37ms, download of 3.32mbits and an upload of 0.61mbits.
    Fastest true download is 300kb/s.
    Fucking optus, fucking copper network, fucking exchanges being too far from the house.

15. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

I know your feels man. Not even in the 3 year plan :(

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ah this old chestnut :lol: You know how many years I have heard this for now? Ever since the first increment on 33K modems, seriously - it's been said for that long now. People say the same old thing over and over and over again. It's not always about download quota ; ) Why should I have to wait 5 times as long for the same file?

And most don't need or want 600Gig of quota per month. But they do want a fast connection. Most want a speedy connection as their priority.

17. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Unlimited NBN speeds are not going to happen anytime soon. So don't hold your breath... And if/when they do arrive, at first prices will be... restrictive...:Paranoid:

And in all honesty, WTF are you downloading going through 1TB-2TB a month??? That's between 33GB and 66GB per day??

I think you'll find, and as caspian has already mentioned, this is far FAR above the average consumer usage, and until this level increases the demand will not be there for such plans.

Just my 2c...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  18. silentlightning

silentlightning Member

I get pretty much the same speeds as you

I was at respawn over the weekend, with a gigabit fibre line and yeah its nice but 300kb is still enough to survive on to an extent, gaming is a bit sucky as soon as people start hitting it but meh

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

NBN looks great and all but I can't see myself moving from TPG's Unlimited ADSL2 ($69pm) anytime soon.

Downloading at 10-15Mbps is fine for me and I don't upload much, just stream a lot of music and video and play online games.

20. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

[​IMG]
    I'm on NBN fibre in Toowoomba. Loving it.