Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

Im on NBN in Doreen. 50/20 plan to ensure i don't burn through data limits. I get 49/19ish true speed on speed tests.

It is glorious and everything others wish their internet to be. Not once have I had to fight congestion, and not once have I said to myself "I wish I had better net"

As more plans come out, and more data limits and speeds open up, net-life in Australia is just going to get better and better.

Also all of my other "nerdy" friends hate me.

:D

2. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

I have to say, this is the best part. I enjoy teasing them too much lol.

3. OldMate

OldMate Member

it's the worst when a game isn't compressed and is 10gb+, it takes me around a week to download as when something is downloading you cannot use the internet.
    I live right smack in the middle of two exchanges so am the absolute furthest you can get from an exchange and still have a connection.
    Since it's a pretty rich area too, the NBN isn't even scheduled to come here for 3 or 5 years or so as they assume we all have good connections already.

4. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

MY EXACT SITUATION. GOD!

Although I am lucky enough to have big pond cable available. Hopefully when they have bigger quotas and cheaper prices I can join... Not holding my breath though. 100Mb internet is already connected to my house blur bigpond are about as competitive as a rock in a race.

5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

6. caspian

caspian Member

you might want to rethink that one. Bigpond's pricing is actually now quite reasonable, and has been for some time.

OTOH if you want to compare them to a low-price-no-service provider like TPG, try comparing apples to apples, not just a single factor of the service.

7. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

8. OldMate

OldMate Member

9. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

500gb for $120 doesn't sound reasonable to me... Maybe a couple years ago but come on...

10. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I would like to see a player like TPG bring out 100/40 5TB plans, that sounds about what I need, but the first month I would burn through it from excitement, then following months would slow down.

Would be exciting to get my backlog of video files uploaded to my cloud, and some youtube files still in que.

Takes me 700-1,000 minuets to upload a single 1080p file, Got 6 videos left on que on this PC at home, I should just upload at work more :\

11. Zultanna

Zultanna (Banned or Deleted)

Feel free to show us any unlimited NBN plans thanks.

12. Primüs

Primüs Member

I think he refers more to the company why not just offer unlimited.

But the real reason is, to offer full unlimited 100/40mbit, is a very large risk to the service provider.

Some of the cheaper transit costs (full route not just domestic transit) are around $20-$25 per mbit (unless the service provider has some MASSIVE bulk discounts but lets assume not). This is for full uncontended transit. If you on your 100mbit unlimited plan decided to download 24x7 for the full month, cos hell, you have unlimited and you dont care? Then you have kind of just cost the ISP $2k+ to keep you connected at full speed that month.

Transit costs too much in Australia, hence why a lot of ISP's don't even offer full unlimited on ADSL2+ cos even then if too many people maxxed out their connection, then the bandwidth requirements cost too much and the company starts losing money.

Then you have companies like Dodo and TPG who don't care and let their bandwidth max out and deal with the complaints of congestion etc.

13. OldMate

OldMate Member

I wasn't aware that there were any unlimited.
    Why do companies not offer it? I imagine it'd be a huge source of revenue.

14. Lordz

Lordz Member

I'm lucky :) the house I'm in ATM has access to 20mb naked internode DSL, I had this for a while and then when iinet purchased neighbourhood cable/transact and released affordable plans on the existing hybrid fiber coax network I jumped on board and now get 100/8 with 500gb+500gb quota for 99 a month and love it only thing the nbn can get me is cheaper plans and more upload. but due to the HFC being in half the town the nbn is nowhere near here yet :( just means I have to buy a house in the part of town with cable haha

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Revenue? That assumes that the company sells these plans at a price that would suit the general public, and not their shareholders.

The price if IP is coming down, but it still costs money, over time we'll see a gradual increase in quotas

16. caspian

caspian Member

like I said, compare the whole service, not just the price. you wouldn't compare a Kia to a BMW either.

17. power

power Member

rofl, gold plated internets for you sir. Fixed line services are hardly comparable to things like mobile and/or luxury cars.

I'm glad NBN isn't due in my area for sometime, I've been on TPG's 500GB (no uploads counted) $49 plan for well as long as they've had it, hopefully by the time NBN ends up in my area it will be well priced.

I also hope I don't end up with the Liberal version of it, I want Labor fibre, not Liberal!

18. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

Don't really see what you are getting on.

I am on MyNetFone at the moment and they provide excellent service for cheap. My friend lives in the CBD and is getting 22MB/s constant. Same company. They offer decent plans.

They also offer NBN plans. Speed doesn't seem to affect reliability and service which copper is more likely to affect..

So pray tell what the difference between bigpond cable and most adsl2+ providers is? Why can't I compare them? What justifies the bloated costs for less quota? Back haul is a poor excuse because 5 years ago we were all saying "THERE WILL NEVER BE UNLIMITED ADSL2+ BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL LEECH AND BACK HAUL ISN'T THERE"

I believe Telstra could offer comfortably 750GB and possibly TB plans on their service. It's not really "top-tier" quota if there maximum is a 500GB plan for consumers.

19. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Huawei are banned from the NBN, they have no involvement. Also not sure on the details of your town but if you don't get fibre you will still get NBN just via the Ericsson LTE rollout.

20. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Is that $50 with or without line rental?