Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Thanks! Expensive bit of kit. :D

2. caspian

caspian Member

how is it her fault? she's certainly being held responsible for Labor's shortcomings, but blaming her is just a convenient way of assigning the fault, as opposed to a logical one.

3. pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

ummmm, a very serious response to a completely jovial comment.... derp....

4. FiShy

FiShy Member

caspian doesnt do humour, he only does internet.

5. pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

It was worth getting out of bed today then. I have learned something that I can take with me for the rest of my life.

6. KriiV

KriiV Member

But it could still be upgrade to match though no?

7. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

To answer the question in the actual OP, seems the rest of the thread is just arguments.

My parents just signed up to the NBN with iinet (the basic 5gb and 12/1 plan). Besides a massive hassle in getting there old phone number rolled onto the netphone the service looks really good. I did a couple speed tests and it averaged out at 11.5/0.9 which is pretty bloody good as far as im concerned (coming from someone on adsl2 connection where i average maybe 4.5mbps and pay more than they do.

8. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

You are never going to see line-rate performance with IP as your transport layer. :thumbup:

9. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

I know, but I was referring to a "huawei representative" saying they would not get NBN in their town. This is a bit hard for Huawei to do as they don't have anything to do with the project.

10. Digit

Digit Member

lol, not a bad analogy. I unfortunately think that we aren't going to see it done properly though as Julia isn't getting back in. My Dad last night was saying he'll be voting for Abbot just to get Julia out, which is the epitome of stupidity in my mind (told him that too), problem is, he's not a stupid man, and i think many many more people are thinking similar thoughts.

Looking at it from the end-user POV though is all that really matters? As that's what we experience. Who cares if the components aren't quite as high end when the end experience is the same.

That's like saying, buy a GTX680 to play CS:S, simply redundant.

I heard that, and John Laws was saying how our NBN was already outdated haha, anyone who knew anything was face-palming so hard!

Also, do we know how much each plan is estimated to cost, i've heard that Labor's plan is 40Bn, Liberals plan is 30Bn, but i've also heard that Labor's plan has ballooned to something like 90Bn?

11. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Huawei they do have something to do with it at least in our area as that is what we were told.

12. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Something that's been really bugging me about the current NBN plans is that the plans are throttled from 8Mb/s (depending on ISP). How can the ISP's justify this when the NBN was promised at 100Mb/s and the tax payer is flippling the bill for the infrastructure?

13. martino

martino Member

Got some examples?

All the ISP's offering NBN plans seem to be offering 100/40 amongst the speed tiers available. Some of the prices are actually pretty good - ie: Skymesh 100/40 with 2TB for $105/month. "Throttling" should only occur if the user goes over their data limit, and this product feature is entirely up to the ISP's retailing the service.

The NBN is funded by debt - taxpayers would only foot the (interest) bill if NBN Co is not making a profit after a certain period of time.

14. FiShy

FiShy Member

He doesnt need evidence, broad statments like that from randoms on the internet are always true.

15. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Speed tiers then, I'm don't mean shaping once the limit is reached I mean we were sold on the NBN by the gov at 100Mb/s but the ISP's are starting at 8, 10 and 12Mb/s. I don't believe NBN plans should be offered at anything below what's currently available on adsl2+ speeds.

16. martino

martino Member

You can sign up for any of the speed tiers available though, what's the harm in having choice?

I know some people think it should just be unlimited bandwidth for everyone, but I suspect they know very little about managing network capacity at a cost.

The minimum NBN speed tier is 12/1 and the take-up on that plan is a lot less than forecasted.

44% of customers have signed up for 100/40 plans.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/456654/iinet_wants_nbn_deployed_faster/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  17. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

My memory suggests the govt statements have always been that 100Mbps would be available, not mandatory. 12/1 Mbps was supposed to be the minimum speed tier offered - perhaps the (still) unnamed ISPs are using their own equipment to throttle connections (which might be an attempt at reducing contention ratios / costs). I also think I heard that the minimum was being bumped to 25/5 - not sure why, maybe it was going to end up at the same price as the 12/1 was supposed to be?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  18. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

100Mbit here.

iinet also upgraded my plan to 600Gb/month for the same price. It's ridiculously fast, but I couldn't go back to ADSL :D

19. caspian

caspian Member

that is the point, they won't be.

these people then post complaints on Whirlpool about peak hour congestion, because they used a cheap and crappy ISP.

20. jcorney

jcorney Member