Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I can't make up my mind if Turnbull wants to do so on the grounds that they're cheaper, or simply because it's a contrarian position to the one Labor took.

2. goodlet

goodlet Member

This is what I think tbh and now is a good time for the back lash to occur. Who knows maybe Turnbull will just say, alright, the public wants the Fibre - give them the damn fibre. Roll it out the Liberal way. No matter when the project gets completed though - it'll be the government in power that will claim they did it.

Back to thread. I was on the deployment plan for NBN within next year but now it just says will be completed within 3 years. Boo.

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

4. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

For those that are reporting their speeds, can you report on how it goes when you have multiple data streams going to multiple devices? Does the router handle heaps of traffic well?

Say I had one machine running bitorrent 24x7, another streaming data to and from the web 24x7, the wife and kids surfing the web and streaming video.

If all this is happening, will the ping to a gaming server still be affected?

5. caspian

caspian Member

depends entirely on the relative crappiness of your router.

my cheap and cheerful $75 Linksys won't do better than 75Mbps throughput, but doesn't blink at what you throw at it up to that ceiling. (albeit on DD-WRT firmware.)

6. miicah

miicah Member

To be honest the main reason I want NBN is for the upload speed. I'd love to stream when I play games and right now 8mbit is plenty for what I do, but having less than 1mbit up is a fucking joke. This also applies for uploading clips to youtube or w/e

7. caspian

caspian Member

then get two services and bond them, or move somewhere where you can get annexe M.

1Mbps is what was originally designed for DSL when the standard was originally written, as it suited the relatively pull nature of internet content. as it still does for the majority of users.

8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

edit: no point in commenting when the replier will not reply, ignores PMs.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. caspian

caspian Member

what does that have to do with the NBN, and how have you decided it's Telstra's problem? have you tried with different phones to prove the problem into their network?

(that said, I reckon I can make a fair guess at what the problem is.)

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

edit: no point in commenting when the replier will not reply, ignores PMs.

11. iinsom

iinsom Member

On the NBN roadmap thingy, if i put in my address and it says

Does that mean fibre or the wireless aspect? I can't seem to find it on their site anywhere, but im hoping its the fibre (fibre has started construction in Penrith, which is near where i am)

EDIT: For anyone on the 100/40 plans already, are you achieving the 40Mbit upload speed, and if so what router are you using? Im hoping too get into 1080p streaming, and i know that i wont probably need that big upload, but the more the merrier :D

12. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Yup, I get congestion around peak times and only see around 50-60Mb/s Down, but always 39-40Mb/s upload. :thumbup:

13. FiShy

FiShy Member

Who is your ISP??

14. iinsom

iinsom Member

Awesome.

What router are you running, and what isp?

I'll probably be going back to Internode when i do the switch.

15. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Hardware: WNDR3800 (Running stock firmware, although tonight I'm going to flash DD-WRT and try to get 100mb/s)

ISP: Internode.

Keep in mind, I'm not 'NBN' I'm FTTH (Fibre to the Home) which is not the same thing, although I'm not sure of the actual differences aside from knowing they are not the same product.

Internode - FTTH

16. miicah

miicah Member

I can already get Annex M, it only puts me up to about 1.4mbps. And what's the point of bonding two shitty ADSL connections (4km from exchange)? Maybe I get 2mbps?

17. Pandemic.

Pandemic. New Member

What're the NBN speeds like to the US? Download, upload, ping, etc.

18. Zevensoft

Zevensoft Member

Some of my friends are on NBN-Wireless, and considering they live 10 minutes out from a country town they said it was fantastic, better than ADSL2+

19. JaZz1138T

JaZz1138T Member

Here is my story

I recently purchased a new pre-built home at a greenfeilds site in the southern suburbs of Adelaide. A major selling point was that I was promised NBN would be available by the time I moved in. Fortunately I chose the right street and it was available just in time for my settlement date. Installation was really quick I ordered it from Internode who booked an appointment and less than a week later an NBN guy came around my place to put the Fibre/NTU and battery in. My place was built with a Matchmaster cabinet built into the walk in wardrobe so that is where he installed it. For some reason the developer had installed Telstra copper even though they knew fibre was to be installed (perhaps they were predicting an early change of government). The installer simply pulled out the copper and replaced the brand new Telstra external wall unit with an NBN branded one and installed the Fibre into the cabinet, he even patched the two ethernet cables that came with the house for me. Later on I installed an 8 port Matchmaster patch panel into the cabinet and more CAT6 outlets.

Speed, Latency and Reliability is fantastic I'm now on a 50/20 plan after starting on a 25/5. The 25/5 was ok but the upload speed was a bit slow when I needed to VPN/upload stuff to my work.

On speedtest.net I get about 49/19 with pings of 3 to 4ms. This speed is also reflected on newsgroups and on torrents with more than 25 seeders where I am able to max out the connection.

All in all well done to NBNco, Internode and Labor.

20. caspian

caspian Member

so what precisely do you want, a technology well over 10 years old and utterly reliant on analogue transmission conditions reengineered for your own personal use?