Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Zultanna

Zultanna (Banned or Deleted)

Which is pointless because

A: To get greater then a 1gb connection you need to either bond Nics with LACP on a compatible switch or use 10gb, both of which are very rare in consumer homes (especially 10gb)

Its why anything more then 1gb at this stage is bordering on the pointless mark, 99% of people dont have the technology to support it.

2. Munity

Munity Member

because its not available / used often in australia dosen't mean it isn't in japan.

You have to think, this fibre rollout should last at least 50 years, i would say 10gb would be at least the norm in 25 years.

3. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

The inlaws have iPrimus NBN 50/20

Every time I've been at their place playing with it.... speedtest.net and connections to iPrimus FTP servers top out at 8mbps up and 8mbps down (can do 8mbps in both directions simultaneously).

.... so it's suspiciously capped. Will need to speak with them about that soon :-S

Can't exactly remember the latency... it was about 15ms from memory.

Fibre got pulled under my street in November (Hobart CBD) .... still waiting on my letter (was supposed to have a service my March).

4. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

To determine the maximum theoretical limits of fibre, you get into using all the technologies that wireless uses to modulate signals onto carrier frequencies.

All the physics that works on RF is possible on fibre, just the technology to do so is mostly out of our reach for the moment. Blinking lasers on and off is good enough for us now.

The theoretical limit limits for a single strand of fiber, depending a bit on what numbers you use, is about 160,000,000 Gbps

5. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

:wired::wired:

As far as 'bottlenecking' is concerned, how many users are likely to be using the same single fibre strand? Just estimate and to satisfy my curiosity.

6. OldMate

OldMate Member

I'll take 5 of them, thanks.

7. FiShy

FiShy Member

Depends what part of the network you look at, southern cross cable carries a fair share of our international traffic and its only a pair ( 2 strands)

Remember in things like the NBN fibre can be shared but its a different wavelenth so you are not really sharing it.

8. miicah

miicah Member

Are you unable to track what posts you are talking about?

I said I wanted NBN for streaming.
    You suggested getting two adsl connections.
    I said that would be a dumb idea because the technology wouldn't support it.
    You come in and ask me why I want ADSL for streaming then?

???????????

Fuck me

9. caspian

caspian Member

no thanks, you do not sexually excite me.

I suggest you might want to limit yourself to the possible, instead of dreaming. bonded ADSL is as good as you will get until the NBN becomes available, and given the state of the ALP, I don't like your chances of that happening any time soon.

10. guido

guido Member

I went to Doctor the other day, he told me I need more fiber.

I told him that Abbott won't let me have fiber.

ergo: Abbott forcing unhealthy choices on population!!!!

11. Humpty

Humpty Member

I install Opticomm in a number of different estates throughout Victoria, Using internode/iprimus/iinet test servers I usually around 120mbit/s or so download speeds in most estates

At my own house, I'm on 100mbit 1TB plan with transact (iinet) Although I rarely see those speeds haha.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  12. -=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=- Member

What speed do you average?

13. Humpty

Humpty Member

#TO CLARIFY: I have cable to my house not fibre!

At my place my average speed test is around 80mbit or so, I live a few kms from the exchnage tho so it makes sense

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  14. iinsom

iinsom Member

I thought fibre didnt matter about distance? (Speed wise)

15. FiShy

FiShy Member

Waa? You install fibre but dont undsrstand how it works?

16. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

he probably just pulls the fibre.

i doubt any of those guys know how it works.

17. caspian

caspian Member

pretty much. fibre certainly has transmission limits, but inside those it works regardless of distance.

the reason is that fibre is a digital environment, whereas ADSL is analogue, and thus performance deteriorates as a function of the SNR that can be maintained. in a digital environment, if the SNR (or OSNR in the case of fibre) is adequate, the circuit works. as it approaches marginal OSNR, BERs become a potential issue, and may result in a slight drop in throughput due to resends at the higher OSI layers. when BERs exceed max tolerance, the circuit becomes unusable.

18. Humpty

Humpty Member

Guys, I have cable to my house haha. I understand how fibre works, to my own house I only have an Iinet cable connection. haha

Thanks aha

19. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I though cable was irrespective of distance also? And that it was based on load.

20. FiShy

FiShy Member

But even cable doesnt suffer from distance based SNR loss, if you had that SNR issues you would suffer from dropouts.

You cable is only going to be 20-60m long, rest is fiber.

edit: im guessing you have transact?