Does anyone have NBN - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Humpty

Humpty Member

Yeh I have transact, my speeds aren't based on the network per say, moreso my sh*tty routers, but yeh I test anywhere between 80-100

for example I just tested it then:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. iinsom

iinsom Member

Bah, i wish Telstra would at least have that kind've upload speed for their cable. 1Mbit is horrid :(

3. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

iiNet are Telstra wholesalers. So technically Telstra do have those kind of upload speeds. It's their ISP division bigpond which doesn't offer those kind of speeds, not that they are unattainable.

But agreed, I have no idea why they don't up it at least a little, I understand the vast majority won't use it, but if that is the case where is the harm in doubling it to 2mbps or even 4mbps?

Edit: Actually they are a wholesaler of Telstra ADSL1, not sure about cable, so the above could be quite wrong, will update if someone can confirm or debunk the above info...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. iinsom

iinsom Member

Yeah sorry, i meant Bigpond.

But yeah, its quite frustrating, cause i cant stream on 1Mbit :(

5. FiShy

FiShy Member

No, the speed test he posted is on the transact hfc network and its now owned by IInet.

So you cant get it on Telstra/bigpond

6. KosTanzA

KosTanzA Member

Sigh.. So close but yet so far away...

[​IMG]

7. tin

tin Member

Hmmm. Does anyone else think that statement is purposely misleading? They say in one sentence that it's coming to your specific address, then go on to say construction will start by the end of the year... In a bunch of other places.

8. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

I know how ya feel buddy, my house is <300m away from the perimeter of a rollout in my area due to start within 3 years. Probably be 10 by the time I get it.

9. caspian

caspian Member

if the LNP get into government, you had better look forward to copper wires for a while yet, apparently.

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

not me.

i'm going greenfields. :)

EDIT:
    my brother inlaw lives at an address which according to the nbn co roll out map is on the other side of the street of the construction commenced area.
    now whether or not nbn co roll out boundaries are split to the degree of "this side of the street is in and that side is out" of if they just do both sides of the street, i don't know.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  11. caspian

caspian Member

it would be fairly unlucky for one side of a street to be services but not the other, but sooner or later there's always going to be one poor sod who can't get it while their neighbour can - there's always a line somewhere.

I can think of two properties right now less than 50m apart in that situation.

12. ACAlover

ACAlover (Banned or Deleted)

You can apply for and get an extension though if you are so close.

13. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

I imagine this would probably cost quite a bit though.

14. ACAlover

ACAlover (Banned or Deleted)

Nope.

It's free as they will do the entire street. There are some specific requirements though, should be on the website somewhere

15. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Only if your house isn't in the fibre rollout footprint. If you're supposed to get fibre eventually, NBNCo isn't going to muck around running a fibre to you now.

Network extension doesn't facilitate "queue jumping".

16. Orphan

Orphan Member

Two streets over from my place has NBN, and construction has started the area next to it which again misses me by less than 100m. I am in the little box of no NBN :(

17. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

String super long Ethernet cable from your place to someone's box.

18. martino

martino Member

19. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

20. tin

tin Member

I'd rather copper last mile than no upgrades since TW offered ADSL2 as a wholesale product. Malcolm's VDSL FTTN will bring me up from 6mbps to 25, and give me a much needed outbound speed increase.
    Not sure why people are complaining about the coalition's alternative. Sure it's not 100mbps fibre, but it's a crapload better than no upgrades at all for the next 5+ years.

Or a wireless link of some sort if you have line of sight to a friend in "the zone".