Does anyone know about those USB modems that take a Sim card?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by alexb618, Jul 27, 2019.

1. alexb618

alexb618 Member

I've got no internet where I'm traveling at the moment, doing a bit of fuckery to try and get this going. Has anyone here had success with these things, specifically using a call/text/data Sim rather than a data only Sim?

I'm getting the impression that a normal mobile phone Sim won't work in these things...

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

They're usually provider locked if you've bought them from your telco. Certainly I have no problems at all using a voice sim in my laptop's (internal) modem, which is also usb (as they all are). I'd imagine as long as the voice sim is from the same telco as you bought the modem it should work. Otherwise you might need to investigate if you can un-simlock it

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

They take normal sims, but might be locked to the telco, or worse still, having limited frequency support.

4. OP
    OP
    alexb618

alexb618 Member

Hmm weird. I'm using a catch connect phone Sim in a mobile phone which is Optus locked and it works fine, but doesn't work in the supposedly unlocked USB modem. Oh well guess I have to just use the hotspot on the phone...

5. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

whats the usb modem full model no.?
    I've come across a number that claim to be unlocked work anywhere blah blah, and are hopeless, not actually unlocked, or not covering the freqs claimed.

No good to you right now :) but I use a sierra aircard 320u on telstra network (aldi 365day data plan actually) works great on win10 and works out of the box on slackware - but its not one of these networking type things with hotspot etc, its a pure modem only.