Does Anyone Solely Use A Virtual PC or... How Much Do You Virtualise?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Oppressa, Dec 23, 2010.

?

I use virtual environments:

1. At home (1-50% of my use)

75 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. At home (51-80% of my use)

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. At home (80-100% of my use)

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. At work (1-50% of my use)

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. At work (51-80% of my use)

18 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. At work (80-100% of my use)

22 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. My host(s) are mainly Windows

51 vote(s)
    46.4%
  8. My host(s) are mainly Apple

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. My host(s) are mainly Linux

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  10. My host(s) are mainly another kind of OS

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  11. My client(s) are mainly Windows

55 vote(s)
    50.0%
  12. My client(s) are mainly Apple

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  13. My client(s) are mainly Linux

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  14. My client(s) are mainly another kind of OS

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Been working with virtual PCs a lot recently (and over the last few years but only really started thinking about this now) and was wondering if anyone does most of their work/home use in a virtual PC. If yes, why/how much and what don't you use the virtual PC for?

Do you use snapshots? Do you revert to that snapshot when something goes wrong/you get a virus or do you revert to it at every boot? What are the positives/negatives?

Discuss...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Gecko

Gecko Member

I use VMs for development servers - primarily because it is easy to take them back to a "stable state".

Also have VMs of various different OSes / versions to aid with testing

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Running a MacBook Pro I have a pile of different Windows VM's that I use for tech support. I used to have a few apps that required Windows but have migrated pretty much everything to OSX these days. (The notable exception being eTax).

I still have a PC ticking away in the corner as a download box that I keep thinking about virtualising so I can run up a few different OS's for different tasks... But then I wonder if I really need all those different things or not... so far the answer is not.

I am using my virtualised OS's less and less, but not something I'm ready to let go of yet.

4. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

I do run a multitude of older versions. Mostly nostalgia :leet:
    I have a Win7 OS and to keep my server skills up, I VM Windows Server 2003 and it's also a great training tool (used it in TAFE most of the time). As Hawk said, once you have a stable save point, it's so easy to go back and undo any catastrophic muck ups that you encounter.

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

My Dad and step-Mum both use Windows XP Professional SP3 in Virtualbox on Ubuntu 10.04 x64 hosts.

They use them for 100% of their work which primarily involves website design, graphic design, tax/accounting and various other office tasks.

The advantage of this setup (my idea/implementation) is that should anything happen to their hardware - they can be up and running on some other PC in about 5-15 minutes (download, install virtualbox, copy .VDI image and off you go...). The ability to back up the entire "PC" to a single file (.VDI image) is extremely useful.

As for myself, I have Win XP Pro, Win7 Pro x64 and Ubuntu 10.04 x64 all virtualised at home for testing/various apps that need said OSes. Host is Ubuntu 10.04 x64.

At work I have Ubuntu 10.04 x64 virtualised for when I need certain utilities (imagemagick, etc) - running on a Windows XP Pro host.

6. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

^ I've thought about running my regular OS as a vm but never got around to being bothered to actually do it.

At work the crappy IDE and compiler we need is windows only so I'm forced to use win7 in a vm (ubuntu host)

7. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

wow, i didnt realise so many people would use windows as a VM client. wow.

I use linux for fun. And if i stuff up, nothing goes bad.

8. Jarwedy

Jarwedy Member

I don't soley rely on a VM but I find without the ease of use and ease of portability I'd be buggered. I could not live without it, they have saved alot of time, hassle and frustration. Can always be pulled back to a stable state or run with independent disks to preserve its "state" in time.

Run a few VM's at work, mainly because a old server was replaced, we keep a VM of it to migrate user settings. Previously this VM was used in a "mission-critical" scenario when the old server went kapoot and needed a stand in temporary replacement for some weeks.

Have run up quite alot of Linux based VM's for testing and implementing say a proxy to see how well it would work, configs later used in a hardware setup.

Other times its just image a old PC for historic sake, run up the VM if we need a file that may of been stored in it.

9. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

The past 6 years or so (from when I have studied/worked in Network and System Administration) Virtual PCs are coming up bigger and better. There seems to be a real big demand, I've seen many Mac users VM windows for a multitude of reasons - essentially most just want the games! ha.
    This is a growing industry, and lets better cross-platform connectivity. I might just be a big homer, but I love VMWare a lot. I got many O/S'es running in VMWare and even got a 150GB Raptor solely to run these using my 1TB drive as the HDD they share. Its great training tool, I was trained using VM to work with Server 2003, SQL Server etc and when I screwed up I simply re-loaded the safe image and resumed.

10. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I run Linux (Centos 5.5) on both my servers and any XP software I need to run, runs in a vitrual session under VMware Workstation.
    I also run various flavours of Linux for testing, software porting etc.

11. kripz

kripz Member

I'm thinking of running Win7 as my main OS (purely for games) and to virtualize linux (which will be used 99% of the time). IMO this beats a dual boot system as i can quickly switch one to another.

What do you think?

12. stmok

stmok Member

Host: Linux with VirtualBox.
    Guests: Windows (Professional versions of XP and 7) + various pre-built firewall and security testing distros + Debian Linux to learn C/C++ in an isolated environment.

For the Windows VMs; malware testing and developing approaches/methods to prevent compromise. (Out-of-the-box config of Windows is a joke. When configured right and NOT loaded with lots of anti-malware crap; Windows stands a much better chance. I make a few notes and re-install the VM from scratch to verify the notes.)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  13. Renza

Renza Member

Host: Server 2008R2
    Hypervisor: Hyper-V
    Client: Centos 5 running elastix for voip!

set this up recently to cut down on the number of devices i have. not sure if it really saves power, but i like to think it does!

14. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Yeah power saving is a huge benefit if you're running lots of VMs.

I love the fact that at work I can deploy a new server from a template in minutes rather than have to go out and buy thousands of $ worth of equipment!

15. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

That my friend is clearly where virtualization technology is of huge benefit. The ability to run multiple servers on the same hardware is pure awesomeness!

16. Gecko

Gecko Member

Sadly, no - it has been done before though. The general consensus often ends up being, just get a Mac Mini and remote into it.

17. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Ignoring the legalities of it, does OS X actually run in VB?

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Wife runs Ubuntu 10.04LTS on her laptop, with WinXP in Virtualbox for MYOB (she's a contract book keeper).

I run Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop, with WinXP and Win7 VMs inside KVM for the odd Windows-only work-related requirement, which is very rare.

I run a few mid sized virtualisation clusters at work - HP Integrity Virtual Machine (HP-UX), RedHat Enterprise Virtualisation (KVM), and VMWare VSphere 4. They are split roughly 50/50 across Linux/UNIX and Windows for guests. Including all physical virtualisation hosts, I think we're sitting around 50 dedicated physical systems to cover around 700+ VMs (the numbers keep rising, so it's hard to give a set value).

I'd say our work is now 80% virtualised. Some things stay off virtualisation, such as large databases (or anything needing high I/O) and systems with high security requirements (financial sector). I don't see us going 100% virtualised any time soon due to those requirements, but I think we'll definitely creep up to 90% or so in the next year.

19. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

That much already hey? Shit, that's pretty impressive. I know virtualization at the server level is where it's all at, but shit, I didn't know the stats would be that high in 2010!

20. Gecko

Gecko Member

A lot of places are going the way of the VM now, really simplifies management. In the past, if we had a physical box die (we have a large amount of software that can't be clustered/made redundant etc), it would have been a mess of warranty replacement parts, hours of downtime etc. Now all I do is fire up the VM on another box and we're running again :) Also great for setting up test environments, clone the VM, put it on a test host, and do whatever is needed.

Yep :)