[WIN10] Does anyone use Paid Security on PC

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Brackbauer, Sep 3, 2020.

?

What do you use?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2020.
  1. Windows Defender

61.5%
  2. Kaspersky

12.8%
  3. Trend Micro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Norton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Eset

10.3%
  6. Other

15.4%
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Tend to agree. The extra safety can't hurt. But I think as users who come in contact with the average user we need to instruct in some basic principles. Once people at least become self aware enough to be suspicious of things in email it greatly help.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  2. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Do software security vendors make their own malware to stay in business?
    Cynical question I know... :Paranoid::lol:

coolroy and MR CHILLED like this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

; ) I have wondered the same. But if they don't then certainly they are probably responsible for a certain amount of anxiety caused when alerting people in the media to potential threats :cool:

Hotrod2go likes this.
  4. philquad

philquad Member

i thought that when i had to buy dr web av for someone who contracted ransomeware, after proving they could decrypt the files i was happy to pay the $200 for it, a lot cheaper than the untrustworthy ransome dudes.

5. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

A way to get around mucking around like that is regular backups.

6. philquad

philquad Member

average users doing backup ? ha, some of the ones i get have 10 years of photos on 2008 500gb drives & never a backup in sight. i learnt a lot since that ransomeware job, it was long ago, he has a daily backup now as its only a matter of time before he opens something again.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  7. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

IF there on win 10, they should get prompts about enabling file history back up. We live in hope.. right?

8. rthy

rthy Member

Win10 defender + onedrive (5gb free document cloud backup) + google photos/drive (unlimited free hd res images backup - not native res)

Thinking of going o365 family when they eventual include personal domain support and backup my images in native res (1tb at 113pa @ officeworks).

While defender isn't great, its come along way and stopped me from bothering with freeware av (except malwarebytes/spybot).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Windows is the most insecure operating system out there bar none. For the average joe home user absolutely run a paid product. I'm surprised the IT gurus here are so blase, but I suppose they have gone and locked down all their open doors like RDP etc etc. Hackers randomly port scan your pc, for kicks. Mostly it is automated and they are looking to add to their zombie botnets.

Think it doesn't happen? I had an old W7 HTPC box, came home one day to find the password changed!

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Eset and IPS on my router.

Not the lowest common denominator but we're all human so doesn't hurt.

I don't go to dodgey websites etc but as I'm getting older i get a little clumsier.

11. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

I voted "other", that is the human behind the keyboard & what they click... or don't click! :D:lol:

12. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

By the way JSmith, that Rescam site is currently not operational. As in, the website works but the AI bot is currently offline it says when I just checked it.

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

avira
    free
    forgot it was there.

14. Rass

Rass Member

This is relevant to me - I'm purchasing a Windows PC soon, so looking at stuff like this as a matter of due diligence.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

16. philquad

philquad Member

while your on, should open dns be in my lan settings or better on the modem? it says faster web browsing but i dunno on that.

my telstra modem only has 1 dsn spot, is that where it goes ?

Capture.JPG

17. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

From my understanding Telstra doesnt allow you to change DNS settings on their modems, well they didn't for cable modems, that's why I told them to shove their business up their ass and I took mine elsewhere. When I called about they just kept asking me WHY, why do you want to change this. #Fucktelstra.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Better on the modem/router if you can (see whatdoesthisdo 's post). That way all machines behind the modem/router use it as well, and are protected.

You get faster DNS resolution, definitely. In my experience residential ISP DNS servers are awful - Optus and Telstra are some of the worst, with DNS resolution latencies often many times worse than public DNS provided by the ones I mentioned earlier.

If you look at the composition of an average web page in 2020, it's more than just the domain you're on. There's all sorts of links to CDNs, advertising, affiliate links, etc - and even if you've got ad blockers running, you're still resolving somewhere in the order of 20 domains per page. That doesn't affect your raw bandwidth, but it absolutely affects the time a page takes to render.

I frequently use systems in other sites outside of my home (my job is remotely managing lots of sites around the world), and you can tell instantly when a site has a poor upstream DNS resolver. Even when they're on Internet speeds many times what my home 100/20 HFC-NBN connection offers (say, a commercial site with gigabit synchronous), it can often take longer for systems there to render web pages purely because they're using ISP-provided DNS which is adding 10s of milliseconds to every single DNS resolution request.

Two simple ways to fix that are have a caching DNS for your site (most cheap home routers do a reasonable job of this - purpose built distributions like pfSense, OpenWRT/DD-WRT and others do a far better job though), and to use a lower latency DNS server, which Cloudflare, Google and OpenDNS certainly are (I find Quad9 a little slow, but no worse than most domestic ISPs).

Ironically, Telstra has one of the fastest DNS servers in the country sitting at 139.130.4.4 , amusingly named "uneeda" (You needa DNS? We gotta DNS!). Yet for some reason all the DNS servers they allow the general public to get to are slow as mud. But, also worth mentioning that uneeda offers no security, so the ones I mention above still offer more than just raw speed.

19. philquad

philquad Member

seems whatshisname is correct
    even removing the telstra dns & leaving it blank, reverts to 10.0.138 after a refresh. i take it then changing the lan dns does squat as the modem dns is fixed ?

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

+1 for cloudflare dns.

I have the kids on their own wireless network and vlan with the dns as cloudflare adult and malware filter, and it works well.

I cant remember if i changed my network over to regular cloudflare or have stuck with google though tbh

Rass likes this.