Does dominos pizza have any added MSG in its toppings?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Skramit, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Skramit

Skramit Member

anyone know if dominos pizza has any added MSG in its toppings? I asked them directly but they weren't able to answer it.

In other words, any of you have msg allergies out there eaten dominos pizza without issue? (Long shot asking but worth a try)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Couldn't find anything via their website https://www.dominos.com.au/menu/nutritional-information

But my partner has issues with MSG. And has had the value range pizzas without any issues. Not sure on the fancy ones, as i'm a fan of those more than she is.

I would probably try and contact the head office and see if you can get something official.

4. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

what symptoms become present and has any testing been done?

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I thought MSG to a degree is 'sulphite', which is listed in the in two of the downloadable PDFs in the link you posted *shrug*

6. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Good to know tHank's.

I've contacted the head office twice no reply so far and rang a store to ask but they had NFi

MSG is often added to deli meats like pepperoni and sausage for extra flavour. As well as being naturally occurring in many foods.

I can handle small amounts but not when it's an additive like on Doritos or in Chinese cooking.

It's usually on packaging as Flavour Enhancer 621. Not sure if it's a sulphite....

7. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Various things can happen to her, but nothing to go to a hospital for. She is fairly cautious with Asian type of food places.

8. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

I get a super scary racing heartbeat and a rash on my lips :(

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

MSG is not a Sulphite. As per the linked article posted earlier, it's glutamate (naturally occurring in a great many foodstuffs, often responsible for/contributing to "umami" flavour) with added sodium to stabilise it for use as a shelf-stable additive. Classified under AS/NZ food additive numbers 621-625.

Sulphites are sulphur-based compounds usually used as preservatives, not flavour enhancers.
    Food additive numbers 220-228.

We've ordered Dominos a few times in the last couple of months, and actually been really impressed in comparison to our normal go-to (Crust, which has dropped in quality of late).
    The latest menu selection is good, the pizza's have been really nice and perfectly cooked, and twice we paid for the "priority delivery" option the driver was on the doorstep inside 15mins.
    Very impressed, but maybe we just lucked out with a good local store/staff.

Just a guess, but that sounds like shellfish/seafood allergy to me, as I get similar symptoms (flushed face, racing pulse, tingling/irritation around lips and tongue) from too much crab or similar shellfish.
    There's a heap of Asian dishes that include various seafood based condiments/seasonings e.g. fish sauce and oyster sauce, that might not be immediately obvious from the dish's name/description.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  10. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Thanks for the input Blue about dominos quality.

Nah it's definitely MSG allergy. I get it when eating red rooster chips with chicken salt, cheese Doritos (any seasoning on chips with 621 on the back of the packet) and had a few experiences with pizzas, particularly meat ones like pepperoni or meat lovers. Also found a few Chinese restaurants that don't add msg and been fine, others have had issues particularly with dumplings etc

I eat shellfish a lot and never have a problem after prawns or oysters or lobster etc.

Basically the body reacts in similar ways to various allergies, it's not a coincidence we have similar reactions to different allergies.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Don't know about that. I "gave up" on Dominos many years ago. They (local) were disgusting, I decided I was "never" going there again. I just ignored them for many, many years. Recently I bought lunch for my "helper" and she wanted dominos. Long story short, I've been stuffing pizzas like there's no tomorrow. Very good pizza.

OP, I don't think you can get a definite answer. Even if they checked all of their suppliers for ingredients, that could change/be inaccurate. They don't make the pizza, they assemble them from ingredients that are supplied by others.

12. aXis

aXis Member

MSG is present naturally in both tomatoes and cheese. Pizza really isn't a great option if you are trying to avoid it.

Funny thing is everyone blames Asian food, but Italian food naturally has high MSG levels and no-one seems to care. Lets a lot of weight to the argument that MSG intolerance is often psychosomatic.

13. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

reason i asked is ive seen it a lot. No one has been tested, just guessed.

Its the older version of gluten free, except a few actually are allergic.

14. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

One of the issues with MSG is that it is often used just like salt and in similar quantities. MSG should only be used in tiny amounts, more is not better..

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm sure without the MSG it wouldn't taste half as good ; )