Does fluoride really cause cancer?

Discussion in 'Science' started by ck_psy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Shepete

Shepete Member

That was an excellent post Sankari.
    It has me absolutely rooted why people fall for these bloody conspiracy theories.

2. Cask

Cask Member

Daily Mail probably assures it does. Evidence assures it doesn't

3. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

On my dentists advice I'm now using toothpaste with 5,000 PPM fluoride.
    I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and my teeth feel better and I'm still alive. Sure you have to be careful about swallowing it.

As for it "causing" cancer, there is a some concern that it could promote a very rare form of cancer but considerable studies have failed to find any evidence of that.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/water-fluoridation-and-cancer-risk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteosarcoma

4. kwchaz

kwchaz Member

I'm a dentist. When people ask me my thoughts on fluoridation...

If there is fluoride in the water, I see fewer kids in the chair with loads of teeth that need removal or major work. Win for me, it sucks having to do those procedures.

If there is no fluoride in the water, there are more patients for me to see, meaning more money. Again, I win.

I've moved from a non fluoridated region of qld down to metro sa, and I must say I see smaller and fewer amounts of decay down here, including in children.

It doesn't cause cancer (at least, as far as pretty much anything else causes cancer anyway), it doesn't result in major health problems (until you go dangerously high), adults benefit too from it being in the water, and taxpayers in general benefit from the reduced burden on our medical system (reason why we have this so called forced medication, much like why the water is treated anyway).

I also use the previously mentioned neutrafluor 5000 tp. If it had a sedative effect, I'd be a heck of a lot less antsy of a person than I am.

5. clonex

clonex Member

Fluoride tablets since little, i think it was introduced in water circa mid 80's.

33 and no filling nor holes in my teeth and got full set.

Surely cant be worse than a autopsy revealing one had a dishwasher at home

6. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Funny thing is we also add chlorine to our water supply to minimise the risk of nasty diseases. If one want something to worry about being added to our water supply and cancer I think chlorine is deserving of more attention than fluorine. The recommendations of the safe levels of chlorine are made weighing up the risks of too little leading to disease and too much leading to cancer risks.

To really freak you out, chlorine in water can from chloroform, an anaesthetic. Nothing like a long hot shower to put one to sleep.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/PHS/PHS.asp?id=51&tid=16

7. Sankari

Sankari Member

*bumpty bump*

'Study involving 11,000 West Australian children confirms dental benefits of fluoride.'

8. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I grew up in Geelong which didn't have fluoridated water where as Melbourne did. So Geelong should be kicking arse while Melbourne is full of cancerous mindless drones then yes?