1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does fluoride really cause cancer?

Discussion in 'Science' started by ck_psy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Foliage

Foliage Member

2. jaxor24

jaxor24 Member

I grew up (up to age 19) in an area without Fluoride in the water. I didn't have fluoride at the dentist until 18 and used fluoride free toothpaste. I have zero fillings and zero teeth issues. I do not want to be essentially be forced to have a form of medication. The choice should be 'opt-in'.

3. Foliage

Foliage Member

Sample size = 1

Anecdotal evidence fail. I could name 2 people in with fluoride and fillings, one with no fluoride and fillings, and people with fluoride and perfect teeth, there is a reason why they request a minimum sample size of 30, because any less is just completely useless. The fact is studies show that there are less issues with teeth when you do use fluoride in the water, eg a sample size of millions.

4. Doso

Doso Member

This X 1 Million

FFS when will people stop being so god damm stupid!

I drank non fluoride water and I don't have fillings thus fluoride is useless! :rolleyes:

5. rush

rush Member

This is one of the problems with democracy as opposed to a meritocracy.

I wonder if we had of had democracy all across the globe for the last couple of thousand years if we would still be in the bronze age?

6. garetz

garetz Member

Everyone who posts here is sample size = 1, it is their opinion, so what are you trying to say, his opinion or experience is worth less than your opinion experience ?
    Belittling other people for not agreeing with your stance on an issue makes you look like an idiot.

By the way, gotta say you took that out of your arse, 99% of statistics are bullshit. ( yes i can make up "facts" too)

Read up the history of fluoride, and watch an Australian documentary called http://firewaterfilm.com .

In my experience, i have always had perfect teeth, i used fluoride in toothpaste and water till about early 20s, 22 or so. I also suffered from crippling migraines from as early as i can remember which is about 8 years old. No drugs worked, in fact i was told i had built up an immunity to them, so there wasnt much they could do. Funnily enough it was around this time when the school i was at, was handing out these huge round white tablets, that were about 1 mg of fluoride, that they forced kids to have but i digress.

Anyway around age 22, i stopped blindly believing everything that i was told, and researched causes for health related issues. Through my research i discovered most health problems are caused by diet or environment, which you can control and genetics which you cannot control.

Now the first thing i did, was look at my water supply, and found that our water has alot of unnatural substances, like high heavy metals and fluoride.
    So i got a reverse osmosis water filter, and after 3 months my migraines had lessened, after about 12 months they had gone entirely. If you actually saw the base filters after 6 months of use on a reverse osmosis filter, how brown it got, you would filter your water too.

Anyway long story short is i had adverse effects from fluoride most my life, but the doctors wouldnt even consider that a waste chemical product could cause a health problem, let alone knew what side affects fluoride can have on you. You cannot even get a blood test to determine your bodys level of fluoride. The whole thing is a coverup in my opinion. The more information we have the better off we are, why should other people make a collective decision for our personal health. Lastly don't believe everything you are told, its up to you to educate yourself.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  7. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Hey look, another sample size = 1 ^ rofl

I've seen water filters, doesn't make me care about it, having minute amounts of minerals etc is a good thing IMO.

Sounds like those idiot vegetarians 'if you saw an abattoir you wouldn't eat meat' well actually genius, I have and I would.

edit: I note that you call fluoride and heavy metals 'unnatural substances'. Are you aware that these 'unnatural substances' actually occur naturally in ground water?

8. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

There are these things called "well-tested hypotheses" which have "statistical significance". They are different from "opinion". The first are things which are useful for the scientific method. The scientific method is quite well established and is the root cause of most of the technology that you use every day. your opinion is fun to throw around, but doesn't really result in real change like science does.

This is the difference between:
    "I reckon..." or
    "a well conducted study has found..."

i agree. Isn't it terrible when other people make a collective decision for our personal health? Those bastards have eradicated smallpox, ensured that our drinking water doesn't contain cholera, reduced accidental deaths through motor vehichle safety and OHS regulations, publically campaign for skin cancer prevention and agaisnt smoking in pregnant women, and reduced the prevalence of major nutritional deficiency diseases such as rickets and goiter.

i also agree that "the more information we have the better off we are". What exactly are your proposing here? There is a lot of information available already, as I've posted before.

9. tompee

tompee Member

We don't need fluoride in water.
    - It only gets absorbed by developing teeth, yet we all take it, topical application is much more efficient and effective.
    - The claimed benefits are actually not as well backed as you think (I am not an expert, but my dentist friend says so. Sorry, I'd like to find some links but it was in a recent dental industry magazine...)
    - I will not make any claims about it causing cancer but common sense says there are too many unknowns, too much testing that SHOULD have been done (which wasn't, before we started putting this in the water in the 70's) in deciding to introduce a chemical to everyone's diet.
    - One-size-fits-all medicine... what if it has minor effects on even a sub-population that we are not aware of? It's entirely possible it does something like (just making this up, but for example) cause 10% of chronic fatigue syndrome or something, because perhaps 0.05% of the population have it act like a trigger.
    The reason I use a made-up example like that is just to demonstrate the perils of deciding to give EVERYONE a chemical. To do that responsibly it should take an awful lot of money and testing, like the pharmaceutical companies spend on drug testing, which was not done on fluoride in the 70's.

10. zzzzz

zzzzz Member

How did you find this out about your water?
    What is the actual measured level of fluoride and heavy metals coming out of your taps?

How have you isolated it to fluoride over the other things you say occur in tap water?

11. Foliage

Foliage Member

There are lots of countries where 1 state has it and one state doesn't, anyone read any comparisons?

No I'm saying a single opinion is worthless in comparison to a study which takes into account thousands of participants.

Name calling doesn't do your weak argument any favours. Well done with your sample size = 1 story as well, cool story bro.

Did you even read the review of relevant studies posted in here? http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/eh41a

edit: you obviously didn't read the review then did you.

12. The Wolf

The Wolf Member

Great, another another graduate of the university of Google :rolleyes:

13. Foliage

Foliage Member

You didn't isolate fluoride as the cause and you also didn't ask a doctor as a) they can test for fluoride levels and b) they side effects fluoride can have on you in high doses are extremely well documented and they would know this, even Google could tell you.

For example read that review on the latest scientific studies on fluoride as they address all the most common side effects of essentially fluoride poisoning and look if the addition of it to our water has caused it in the population.

14. Shepete

Shepete Member

But that wouldn't fit nicely into another conspiracy theory!:)

15. garetz

garetz Member

The government does testing on our nsw water supply annually, they test for toxicity, heavy metals, and chloride. They also are required to keep the water fluoridated at a certain parts per million, so they test that as well.

I was ingesting fluoride from 3 sources, one was tap water, the other was toothpaste, and the 3rd was through the skin when i shower.
    Through a process of elimination, i stopped the water fluoride ingestion through reverse osmosis filtering, and that did help for 3 months, as the migraines lessened in severity. I then stopped fluoridated toothpaste used, and switched to a herbal toothpaste. Within 9 months my migraines were totally gone. I could of filtered the water from showering as well, but the ingestion of fluoride from this process propably accounts for a miniscule amount compared to the fluoride you get from tap water and tooth paste.

For years my migraines stopped, but then i went on a health kick and started drinking alot of tea, including black and green tea. I started getting headaches again, but not nearly as bad as before.

I figured something isnt right, and did some more research, and found that tea had very high fluoride levels. Stopped all the tea consumption and low and behold my headaches stopped again. These were nowhere near as bad as my migraines i had for years, and doctors could not find a cause for.

My previous story can attest to it being caused by fluoride, even if you believe alot of the official studies that 5 ppm fluoride is safe, when you add the fluoride you get from tap water, showering, toothpaste, and drinking tea. You can ingest upwards of 30 ppm which can cause fluorosis in teeth, and many other side affects.

In previous messages i posted on this forum, i explained how i went to several doctors, asking for fluoride level tests. They refused to do them. I challenge you to goto your local doctor, ask for a test to measure your levels of fluoride. See what they say. Just cause i wasnt specific on how i know what i know, doesnt mean i wasnt thorough in my determinations. At least i dont make baseless assumptions like you do.

I based my reasoning on cause and effect, doctors dont know everything, they do their job to the best of their abilities, but when a doctor assumes something is safe, like fluoride, that assumption is what creates pre conceived notions, preventing them from even attempting to equate certain health problems with the chemical fluoride being the cause. If you believe something is safe, and you are told its safe for decades, they teach it is safe to dentists, they just assume it is safe and dont question the validity of that statement. I know what i experienced, if a doctor sais one thing, but you are experiencing something else, do you believe the doctor or your own body ?

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Oh so you were the guy who the doctors refused to test, now I know why you sound so familiar.

17. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Yeah... i'm gonna have to go ahead and put a tinfoil hat over this thread now.

The batshit-crazy is leaking out into the rest of the forum.

18. Foliage

Foliage Member

Please comment on the study upon studies that was posted, otherwise you are going in the basket of tin foil hat conspiracists that are currently on my ignore list.

19. jaxor24

jaxor24 Member

The phrase 'anecdotal evidence fail' pretty much invalidates every single post on this website. Hence, it really isn't helpful in this type of discussion. Which is why it's kind of silly to say.

My point is I don't need the government to look after me. My existence is proof in the extreme case, i.e. that fluoride isn't necessary to have healthy teeth and if you're just not retarded about
    your diet you don't need a blanket enforcement.

I'm sorry if my reply on a personal computer overclocking online website didn't include a comprehensive study. In fact, it's almost as if the word 'forum' means a place where opinions can be heard...

20. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

That's awesome! So you will stop using the tap water, you know... that system of supply built by and mandated by the gub'mint.

Sounds like everyone is happy! Not often we get a win-win around here! :thumbup: