Does Refresh Rate (HZ) matter for office work? (DELL U3818DW VS X34P)

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by zwatton, Feb 8, 2020.

1. zwatton

zwatton Member

Title says it all.

Personally been at a crossroads deciding between an ultrawide with 120hz, compared to one that is more color accurate but has a lower HZ.

DELL U3818DW VS X34P

The main point of this monitor is not going to be gaming - but since I'm not doing any picture accurate work, I'm wondering, will the extra smoothness from HZ outweigh the other features of the dell.

Cheers!

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No. LCD uses persistent imaging - pixels don't flicker on and off like the old CRTs with their refresh based redraw. If there are no changes going on to the content on screen, the pixels remain on, and show a static output.

There is zero real world benefit in high refresh rates for standard office work.

3. ayles

ayles Member

Disagree with above, while it is correct, there is no reason not to. The extra smoothness when dragging windows and moving the noise is hard to go back from. I use a 1080 120hz + 4k 60hz screen for office work and always end up back on the 120 screen. The res is useful sometimes but my personal preference is Hz.

Little Man and zwatton like this.
  4. miicah

miicah Member

I wouldn't say zero. It certainly is a nicer experience on 120hz. Would you say there is zero benefit using a mechanical keyboard? A mouse vs having to use the touchpad? A $200 chair vs a $50 one?

zwatton likes this.
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Specific to my workflow, I don't spend all day dragging windows around. I fullscreen my application and get to work.

For office work? Of course there's benefit. I can easily exceed 100WPM with high accuracy on a good mech keyboard, compared to my laptop where I struggle to maintain 85WPM with accuracy. That results in real world productivity gains, not subjective niceties. Screen refresh doesn't impact me in the same way.

When I'm sitting at work in it all day, yes, for my long term health.

I don't really compare any of these to display refresh, particularly on an fixed-image LCD display (I ran 85Hz minimum in the CRT days, because I'm old and actually worked on CRTs in offices long ago). Again, I'll accept that if you spend all day dragging windows around very quickly, there may be some benefit. But I've spent the last decade or so working with motion video and 3D/VFX professionals, and all of them would choose a 60Hz display with better colour accuracy over a 120+Hz "gamer" display, which typically has abysmal colour.

The "blur" between 60 and 120 Hz is noticeable of course, but I wouldn't lump it in the same "workplace health and safety" category as a good desk and chair, nor in the "measurable impact on my output" category as a keyboard. And speaking only for myself on a less objective point, I'll take colour over refresh any day, mostly because of my industry and personal pedantry.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    miicah and zwatton like this.
  6. miicah

miicah Member

100%, probably should have qualified that in my post. For OP colour > refresh

elvis and zwatton like this.
  7. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'll throw another POV into the mix.

DPI. for document/spreadsheet/coding work imho DPI is king, go a 4k monitor, doesn't matter what hz/colour profile is. Smooth fonts are easier on the eye for long periods of time. Also check your brightness settings, you don't want eyeball searing bright, just accelerates fatigue.

If you're in the media business go for colour accuracy.

8. xplod140

xplod140 Member

75Hz is much easier on the eye than 60Hz. Anything above is probably overkill for office work but that small bump is noticeable.

9. frenzy987

frenzy987 Member

My personal opinion, for office work it really doesn't matter, but of course that depends on what kind of work you do.

I have 2 x U3813DWs (one above each other) that I use in my home office. Most of my work is penetration testing, I can often have 6+ terminals/windows open on each screen per workspace. Like a lot of people here I am inflicted with upgradeitis. But even after a year with these monitors I have not once felt the need to buy one with a higher refresh rate (I should note I am typing this from my gaming area on a 120hz monitor :)). They are fantastic productivity monitors and they have the added advantage of having USB-C so I can connect them both my X1 Carbon for dual 3840x1600 goodness :). If you have any questions about them let me know.

10. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

i work on 60hz run of the mill office monitors and they're pretty crap even by office standards. It's not just dragging windows which is smoother on high hz but scrolling and zooming as well. even though it's noticeable, i've never cared much about it. I'd much rather have high enough dpi and res to scale at 200% without losing all my screen real estate. now THAT is eye candy worth having

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Im a high Hz whore but 60hz is plenty fine in desktop environment.

However the X34P isnt horrible color wise and being IPS will have nice viewing angles too. Apparently the X34P has 76% DCI-P3 and the Dell 78%.. both average really.

Id almost go with what ever is cheaper. Acer OSD does suck balls though and Dell's are nice often have KVM built in too.

Dell much more professional/workplace looking if that is a consideration.

12. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

Yeah haha I went with the cheaper option.. Ironic is that the other buyer for the dell pulled out and I kinda regret the purchase. Ah well, I love 100hz and the colours are good enough for me.

Stand was completely dogshit (Acer) compared to dell, but I was going to get an arm either way

walker_2003 likes this.