Does Telstra block ports on their Next G network?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by grades, Jul 3, 2012.

1. grades

grades Member

having trouble with ports, Telstra Next G using Bigpond Elite Wireless BroadBand Network Gateway, I have port forwarded port 1433 for the RMS software, I have opened the ports for inbound and outbound in win 7 firewall and yet the port is blocked.

using http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check the port it comes back with it closed.

anyone got any suggestions?

2. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

Whats your APN set to?

We had troubles using Pennytel on all our Telstra devices at work including SIM Cards, Micro SIMs, 3G USB, 4G USB and 4G Wifi points. Turned out that we needed to change APN to telstra.extranet and have Telstra also activate some codes on each SIM Card before VOIP would work.

Royal PITA since Optus (Mobile & Fibre), Vodafone/3 (Mobile) and AAPT (DSL/Fibre) worked fine.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    grades

grades Member

isn't that for a mobile phone?

4. Renza

Renza Member

No, its for all packet switched data devices on mobile networks (GSM/UMTS). There's a bit of confusion though, are you on NextG wireless broadband or Bigpond wireless broadband?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

From what OP has described, sounds like NextG

6. power

power Member

no shocks here, it's the gateway - these things are notorious for not allowing you to forward ports correctly even if you use the DMZ function it still won't work correctly.

Try hard resetting and/or looking for new firmware.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    grades

grades Member

ok thanks for the advice, what about the older netcomm wireless gateway modem are they a better modem for port forwarding, I have one of them lying around I could try with that.

8. caspian

caspian Member

you would be far better off with a bridge dongle and a router with USB support. Bigpond's gateways are shite.

9. Renza

Renza Member

10. glasswindow

glasswindow Member

I can help with this one, had to port forward some email over 3g recently via Billion 7402x with a 3g dongle plugged into the back.

Basicly on Telstra 3G it goes:

3G Device ==> NAT 10.x.x.x subnet ==> Real External IP

This means you can not do the port forward as you do not have access to the external IP. Contact Telstra and get them to change it.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobiles_apn

Telstra (all services except Bigpond, see above)
    telstra.internet

Note: There are various options for Telstra Next G USIMs to enhance or limit mobile service capabilities. These options can only applied by Telstra and are not user settable. All normal USIMs have access to the Internet using APNs telstra.internet, telstra.wap so they don't have to be defined explicitly. All normal USIMs have access to Telstra picture messaging using APN telstra.mms so it does not have to be defined explicitly. The codes below may assist your discussions with Telstra.

GPTCOMB3 – Explicitly allows access to the Internet using APN telstra.internet
    GPWAPB3 – Explicitly allows access to Telstra WAP portal and the Internet using APN telstra.wap
    GPMMSB3 – Explicitly allows access to Telstra picture messaging using APN * telstra.mms
    GPPCPAC3 – Allows access to Internet using APN telstra.pcpack which has a 15 min idle timeout.
    GPDPACK3 – Allows access to Internet using APN telstra.datapack which has a 2 hour idle timeout.
    GPTEXB3 – Allows access to Internet using APN telstra.extranet which assigns a dynamic real IP address.
    GPCORPB3 – Allows access to Telstra Wireless IP WAN using APN telstra.corp

11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

^ Bingo, you stuck with a domestic PoS and behind a dirty, great big NAT. They don't want you using it for anything more than you-tube and other boring internet uses.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    grades

grades Member

just a heads up, i have fixed the problem, it turns out it was that stupid elite router, i connected the older style netcomm 3g router opened the said port and bingo it works!

13. JonasQuinn

JonasQuinn Member

I have actually found NextG blocking ports. Using doubletwist on my phone, I can't listen to streaming radio over 3G. WiFi works, however. I have the same problem on both Telstra NextG sims I have access to.

14. randomman

randomman Member

That website is bullshit. Tells me ports are closed when I'm using them right now. :thumbdn: