1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the m.2 & SSD & HDD internal mix affect cloud storage? What are YOUR home archiving strategies?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Crewcut, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Hi all,
    newbie alert (as I'm moving into PC from Apple back ground.)

Can cloud backup services access multiple drives on your machine? I've only had limited experience with Microsoft Onedrive for mirroring to the cloud - and that seems to be limited to selecting one drive or folder to backup. (And that could be a misunderstanding of Onedrive on my part as well?)

EG: does having a 500GB m.2 and 2 TB other drive (whether SSD or HDD) mean you can't mirror both to the cloud? Are there web servers you can give access to both drives and how does it work - do they need to be set up so that the website sees them as a single drive?

I have a bunch of family movies that are probably near 1TB but could be growing as phones get 4k video cameras. It seems we're moving into a bold new era of gigantic family video files.

So what to do? Cram them all onto one huge computer drive and mirror to the cloud for offsite fire-proofing with some annual cloud fees, or manually break it up onto various external SSD's and store copies off-site? (With family movies stored off site in a few hard drive copies with family, all my current working files could easily be mirrored to Onedrive.)

What are your favourite family computing storage options - both in terms of onsite, offsite hard drive, and cloud?

2. power

power Member

probably better off investing in a NAS, going from there.

3. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

So all family stuff archived to the one super-drive - and then mirror that to the cloud? What do you mean 'going from there?'

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Mines not quite up to scratch, because I'm missing an offsite location, but it's almost there. Files stored locally on a pc, and important files backed up regularly to a Synology NAS. As I say no offsite backup such as the cloud or even at work, so if the house burns down it all goes.

5. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Anyone got a Synology NAS drive synced to a friend's or family member's house and vice versa?

6. power

power Member

rather than doing it from the PC, if you have a family best to have one central storage location imo.

7. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

So I'm guessing the NAS can mirror Apple, PC, Linux etc all to the one RAID super-drives hub and ... then what? It trickles to a cloud solution bit by bit each day?

8. Renza

Renza Member

3-2-1 strategy for me. 3 copies, 2 different mediums, 1 offsite.

my 3 copies are on at my parents place in Adelaide, I then use syncthing to sync the stuff I want backed up to my NAS in Melbourne (~10TB worth), and gives me a local copy to add files to and it will sync back to Adelaide. these both have parity drives as an additional safteynet. Then I backup all the important stuff to Crashplan, which runs in a docker container in Linux on the NAS at my parents'.

both backblaze and crashplan will let you select what directories/drives you want backed up. they can be external drives, too. ymmv with things like dropbox/onedrive/google drive

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Crewcut likes this.