Does the Westpac Payway API require you to have a SSL

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by OPM881, Nov 3, 2010.

1. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Im setting up an online booking system for a charter flight company, and they wanted to handle online payment. They are with westpac so I did some searching and found westpac has its own online pay system called Payway which allows for purchases online. Now when I read the information that I could find, it appeared that I wouldnt need to worry about setting up a https page and a SSL cert as all the credit card details would be handled via their website, and all I would have to send would be the cost information. The more I read the API documentation, I am starting to think that this isnt the case at all, and that I will still need to set up a SSL cert and all that. I am still waiting for the approval for use of the Payway system to be set up for the company, so I cant actually get into the API and do any testing and such, so I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone had any experience with it so that I would know if I need to start figuring out how to handle it using a SSL cert.

TL;DR> Do I need to have a HTTPS page on a website to use the Westpac Payway system and API or do I not need to worry about that.

2. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

No you don't. We are implementing this and we asked:

SSL encryption – do we require this on our site domain or is it only required between the user and Westpac –ie on your side?

To clarify, we're going to have a page with a link that allows our clients to be launched into Payway so it's not like they're entering any info in on our site. They enter their client number and credit card details directly onto the Payway site.

EDIT: So maybe your situation is different if your clients are entering info on your site.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    OPM881

OPM881 Member

The only info they would be entering on our site is booking info, not their CC details. Im reading the Payway API Developers Guide pdf that is on their website, and it says "All transaction data will be communicated via HTTPS with 128-bit encryption and each message digitally signed(MAC). A digital certificate is provided to each customer for this purpose." so thats why I am slightly confused.

So as long as I am just sending the cost to the customer and such and NOT the CC details, I shouldnt need an SSL.

4. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Surely you have a contact at Westpac? PMing you the person who is helping us.

5. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

are the fee's pretty hefty with a banks payment gateway? i.e. as opposed to say paypal

6. Osiris

Osiris Member

AFAIK:
    Technically, no you wouldn't because it's your server that is connecting to their service via the API (that's the part that requires SSL).

Legally, I have no idea whether your contract stipulates that all CC details need to be transferred over a secure connection or not.

7. OP
    OP
    OPM881

OPM881 Member

They didnt want to use paypal, which I fully understand.

The impression that I always got from their website when it talked about it was that it would be their website/payment gateway that would be handling the CC details and such, and it would just be my job to send the amount to be payed to their website. Then again, this could be wrong. I need to wait to actually gain access to the payway website so I can have a better look.

8. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

Our St George merchant banking rates are cheaper than the cheapest tier of PayPal.

9. anthonyberry

anthonyberry Member

That is correct. However it is bit of an average customer experience getting handed off to another site to complete a payment.

10. iftwb

iftwb Member

How so? Interested.

11. OP
    OP
    OPM881

OPM881 Member

How so? I have seen many businesses do this, and the website is only for a small business. If I had the skills to be able to make sure it is 110% secure myself I would, but I lack the experience to do so.

12. teegman

teegman Member

Our non-completes are very low, flowing through a hosted payment page. I'd say that consumers are, if anything, more trusting of a brand name handling their credit card details than a small online shop. The case for becoming PCI-DSS compliant for small businesses would also be marginal, until there is strong cash flow and a compelling business case for closer management of the payment process.