Dog training

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Raykay, Aug 30, 2012.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

Ahh yep I've got that one as well. I'll put it in front of her, say stay. Then I'll go feed the little dog - come back and tell the big one "go"

That was a big win for me, she was very pushy with food when she was younger.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Backing up.

3. akashra

akashra Member

Plastic coke bottle. Insert one or two treats. Hours of entertainment :p

But yeah, Casper (or Charlie) hasn't destroyed any of the Kong products yet. Everything else has stuffing coming out all sides of it.

Hm. With Charlie we've got Sit, Drop, Jump, Up (eg on to a couch etc) - he's still pretty confused/disobedient with Stand, except while walking. That's at 9 months age.
    Casper's 4 months old and I've got he'll follow, come, watch, sit, fetch (including returning and dropping whatever for me), I've only just got him to consistently drop (as in lay down), 'let go' is inconsistent, can't get him to stand (on all fours), and he knows up (but can't reach much - he only just managed to reach the couch for the first time last weekend) and paw (basically shake/scratch).

We're currently trying to teach Charlie 'walk', as he has really long legs, and it'll help his balance etc - he's getting reasonably good at it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

I'm having issues with stand as well, he gets on all 4 but he is expecting food or something so he doesn't stay still. So when I stop moving the food I expect him to stay still but just sits.

As for the plastic bottle, we've been giving him empty milk bottles which we use up frequently anyway. and it's the cheapest form of entertainment ever.. we change over when sharp edges start to show up.. Only issue is that it is rather loud and annoying.. But I never thought about the treats, great idea!!! I'll give that a whirl

With your dog, does he remain seated? As in, do you release him or does he do it by himself? I'm in the process of giving Tairen a release command like 'alright' or 'okay'.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. broccoli

broccoli Member

How are you moving the food? You move your hand forward the tiniest bit, and hold your hand in front of him so he can't move forward. To stop him sitting down you put your hand under his tummy (back of the hand against his tummy, no gripping, just holding it upwards against his tummy) for little dogs, or hand against the stifle for big dogs.

So, it goes a big like "staaaaand" to get him up and nose forward, with hand in front stopping him moving off, and then restraining him from sitting if you have to.

6. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

When I first started training him at puppy school, I simply made him sit, placed the treat near his nose and moved it forward slowly and he'd stand up then I'd mark it and treat. Sit and repeat. But now I realise that he doesn't really stand he essentially moves.

Never thought about placing my hand against his tummy, good tip :thumbup: I'll give it a go as well. But he's getting huge by the day!! :lol:

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

If he's big, put your hand on his stifle, not underneath. If you put it underneath, no pressure at all, just hold it there, palm down.

8. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Sounds good, shouldn't be too difficult.

9. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Where is the best place to buy some kong goodness?

10. ricky60

ricky60 Member

My cocker spaniel/border collie cross destroyed a standard kong as a puppy....but she was a crazy chewer. Got her a Kong Extreme and a Kong Genius (which is fantastic) and she hasn't destroyed them after about 6 months.

11. akashra

akashra Member

Ours haven't been able to destroy them, but they certain hide them.
    Out of 6 squeaky tennis balls and this silly looking thing with lots of legs, I can't find any of them any more.
    Oh and I bought them a bag of about 10 squeaky toys - all gone.

12. mmBax

mmBax Member

Swallowing them?

My mrs dog chews the ass out of anything that squeaks, until the squeaker is removed. Then she's bored with it. I may buy her a little kong chewer.

My kelpie just wants tennis balls. Nothing else really compares. So I bought her a pack of 20 or so. She's a bit ball crazy though, so I need to slowly take her off it

13. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

We've bought about 10 tennis balls, 8 of em gone haha!

14. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Any pet shop would have it

Our Goldie wont touch her food until we say it is OK. We can put a treat on her paw when she is lying down and she wont look at it. I think her thinking is "if I dont look at it, I can have it"

Only problem is, she will drool in anticipation , which kinda makes a puddle :p

15. ricky60

ricky60 Member

Kmart sell a good dimpled rubber ball with a bell in it. VERY strong, and cost about $5 iirc. We bought three of them thinking the dog would destroy them. Two of them still sitting in their packaging as a result. She loves them, and the bell even means she'll chase it in the dark.

16. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Haha! We have curry on almost a daily basis, so Tairen is pretty drooling on a schedule :lol:

Will give them a whirl as well.

He always wants to play tug of war, if we give him a toy to play with and sit down to watch tv, he just puts his head on our lap inviting us to take one end of the toy haha.

Need tough toys with this guy...

17. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Quick question yet again, is it okay to leave your dog if it's wet? I really can't see why not because naturally in the wild, if they jumped in water, they aren't going to get a wollen towel wipe down on haha.

I just got a lecture from my dad :lol: ... (not that he knows anything about it)

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

Not in winter, in Melbourne, IMO. Dry him off. Get out the blowdryer. Middle of summer outside in the sun, sure. He'll dry in about 3 minutes.

19. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

depends on the day. if its a nice sunny day normally play with him for a bit till his dry.. or the walk back from the beach his normally pretty much dry

if not yeah throw a old towel over him for 2min give him a rub n get most of it off..

and yeah just like you, if you where out in the wild and had a option to
    a. stay dripping wet n cold on a cold day
    b. only be damp and dry off alot faster on the same day

:D

20. OP
    OP
    Raykay

Raykay Member

Needed a perspective there. Thanks for that :lol:

Just to clarify, it's not unhealthy for him yeah?