1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolby Atmos, is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Court Jester, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

Hi,

I am currently finishing building some new towers and a center ( 3.5way ) and will be looking at buying a new amp soon.

I am after some opinions on whether dolby atmos setup is worth the extra in terms of buying the ceiling speakers and getting them wired in vs a 5.1 setup.

I am currently using a 5.1 set up on a Denon AVR X3000 Reciever which the main TV / gear is in the open lounge / dining area.

2. BuD

BuD Member

yeah its freaking awesome and i dont have teh ones mounted to ceiling yet just been bouncing off ceiling but ive been to a mates with the ceiling speakers mounted and its very immersive.

3. Zee

Zee Member

Only if you have sources/media to support it. I'd wire for it at least, regardless.

Z...

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

From what I've heard it's brilliant. Will have to try it sometime. It's another thing on the agenda.

5. BuD

BuD Member

some cinemas have it. a new cinema opened up 20k from me last year adn that was the first time i heard atmos.
    just imagine sylvester with tweetys circling his head in 1 of his KO scenes lol

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's that good then? :lol:

7. BuD

BuD Member

yeah its pretty cool. i heard DTS-X is even better but i havent had any movie with that yet to listed. maybe i should grab a demo

8. adya

adya Member

Yeah its great if you can access Dolby atmos content. Some streaming sites claim they do but they dont. They barely have 5.1 audio.
    You would have to buy from JB hifi because streaming sites are crap.
    No wonder i torrent still. Streaming sites are way behind

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That part isn't the problem.

10. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Did you build a kit? Which one?

Tossing up whether to sink some cash in B&W 683s or the equivalent Paradigm, or maybe stretching the budget a bit to 85Fs.

DIY cabinets and kits reportedly provide much better value but you never get to hear a comparison. I listened to some 683s recently and they were awesome, the 12inch velodyne sub he paired them with shoot my seat.

11. mils1

mils1 Member

For a good setup on a budget here is what I would recommend,
    Fronts:paradigm Monitor 11
    Centre: Paradigm Centre 3
    Surround: Paradigm Surround 3
    Sub: Martin Logan Dynamo 1500x with PBK
    Atmos: 8" Opus One Platinum + 140w

12. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

Budget.. :Paranoid:

Any suggestions for people with more of a foodstamp budget?

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

SECOND HAND
    /thread

Seriously. I got a set of 5 Yamaha speakers for $120 off ebay (NS-C120, NS-120s, NS-90s). Got a Klipsch 10" woofer for free because the previous owner snapped the center pin off a cable inside the female jack. Didn't know that he could just use the second input :lol:
    And also nabbed a couple of Klipsch satellites for free, since they were unused from a desktop build.

Now I have a quite decent beginner theatre setup for very little outlay (ignoring the 4k projector, 130" screen and 9 channel Atmos receiver :Paranoid:). It's currently configured for 7.1, but as adya said, Netflix only does 5.1, and any media I have with 7.1 track on it, I barely notice it. So I'm gonna switch it around for 5.1.2.

I've set up eBay alerts for the brands I'm interested in, within 20km of my postcode. As better speaker sets pop up, and pending wallet size, I'll be able to swap out upgrades gradually. There's no need to spend $10k on speakers for a home cinema setup. Especially an untuned, acoustically leaky setup.
    Only audiophiles would pick apart my setup, everyone else has gone jelly watching movies in my cinema.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  14. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

Yeah I have only just started looking at speakers and pretty much exclusively second hand stuff.

Just not sure exactly what I should be looking out for.

15. mils1

mils1 Member

Bring a BD Disc to a hifi shop for a full length movie demo :D

16. Zee

Zee Member

Buy second hand.

Seriously.

I have a Boston Acoustics VR2000 sub in my garage. I'd be lucky to get $100 for it, it's a 12" 300w sub that was is on par with the top Velodyne model of the time, and you'll need to spend at least $1000+ to match it today.

Good speakers are good speakers for many decades.

Z...

17. mils1

mils1 Member

This, it's bloody hard selling on HiFi forums but easy to get a bargain. Try to get matching speakers, I would buy a new sub.

18. jajjj

jajjj Member

Read reviews from What Hifi and such from a couple of years ago.

Monitor audio, Klipsch, older JBL gear comes up on gumtree quite often.

I picked up a pair of floor standing JBL studio L and a center for $400 for downstairs and complete my Klipsh setup upstairs buying surrounds and a center for $250.

Just be patient. Accusound is okay for a starting point ($250 5.1 sets) and upgrade from there.

19. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

yeah 2nd hand is the way to go

got a focal dome 5.1s for $800 off ebay and klipsch ceiling speakers for $100ish off graysonline and paired that with a cheapish [$520] denon 7.2 reciever off amazon.de

total outlay ~$1450 for a 7.1 atmos setup and its met my needs

20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Do BDs suport ATMOS regardless? or is it still selective titles?

My HT supports ATMOS (and 4k), and I've played various BDs through my Xbox (One S - supports 4k/ATMOS), but haven't noticed a difference?