Dom does The Perth Zoo! warning to 56k!

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Domin8, May 7, 2007.

1. Domin8

Domin8 Member

First time out to the Zoo with new camera and lenses in hand.. though found myself with the 70-200 on it most of the day! :) very happy with how they've all come out.

Comments welcome :)

here's some of my fav's.. and the rest can be found through the link.. not the slideshow ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Sir/Perth%20Zoo%202007/

Dom

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. OP
    OP
    Domin8

Domin8 Member

Lol truly guys.. C&C is welcome!....:lol:

3. young_einstein

young_einstein Member

Sorry ... but that slideshow just bugs the crap out of me.

4. arkenstone

arkenstone Member

Nice shots. I like the lighting and saturation :)

I agree the slideshow link probably wasn't the best to put on here -we're a lazy bunch. We like images in the thread :)

5. OP
    OP
    Domin8

Domin8 Member

Ok I'll fix it! :D

6. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

1 & 2. Wow. Very nice. 6, 7, 11, 13, 17 are the weakest of the bunch due to the subject not being in focus. 11 cause there's no focus on the elephants eyes, just this big patch of skin.

1 & 2 though = win.

7. seer_claw

seer_claw Member

I have to agree that #2 is a great shot. I like a lot of the other ones too. Good work. :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Domin8

Domin8 Member

Appreciate the C&C :) good to get some now and then ;) thanks for the comments!

6, is in focus - the stork is sharp behind the reeds?

7, is focused on the top part of the gators head.. though was taken through glass so could see why it could look a little blurry

11, was going more for the front profile and of the faint paintings ya can just see on the flat middle part ive taken the pic of of the elephants head.

13,the tiger is pretty sharp looking to me behind the grass?

17, this one also looks pretty sharp to me hmmm your screen alright? hmmm

Edit: cheers Seerclaw too. appreciate it :)

9. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

lol I didn't word that well. I meant that due to the way they were shot the subjects didn't look like they were the focus (in other words the composition). The stork is too hidden behind the reeds as to look like it's not meant to be seen or that you've tried to take pics of the reeds and accidently had the AF catch the stork instead, if its head was sticking through the reeds or you could see it's head and beak through the reeds, then it would look better in my opinion.

Due to the gator in the front taking up most of the frame and with it only being partially seen, with the top of it's head copped off due to the waterline, it takes too much focus away from the gator with it's eyes sticking out of the water in the rear.

With the elephant I think it's more due to the fact that the right side of it's head is just covered in shadow that makes it look uneven and just makes it's forehead seem entirely too large, maybe if you'd zoomed out a little more to alleviate from the enormity of it's face.

Grass is covering the tigers eyes, in my opinion one of the more important thing to capture if you're going to be taking a portrait, whether it be a person or an animal. The grass/branch/reed in the foreground is quite annoying to me too.

With the final shot, again a lot of the giraffes face is covered, the branches partially distract from the subject. Which is a shame cause that giraffe looks particularly cute.

Sorry for not wording it right, it was 1:07am when I posted it. Granted I still haven't slept but I have had a shower so I'm a little more conscious of what I'm saying lol.

The rest of the shots are great. The vibrancy of the colours is great, images are sharp and besides the one's I've mentioned, the composition is good too.

10. OP
    OP
    Domin8

Domin8 Member

Cheers for clarifying :) Stench.. One thing i will say is with those shots with the bluured foreground and reeds over the faces.. its exactly what i was going for :) i had to manual focus the 70-200 to do them :) .. and I can see where your coming from :)

cheers for taking the time to put in about them :)

Dom :thumbup:

11. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

No problems dude, it's only a personal gripe with them. Others might not see it the same as me, that's the great thing about photography and art, it can be interpreted in what way a person wishes to see it. Trying out different things to the "norm" can bring out some fantastic stuff, it's how we discover different techniques. I personally just don't think they suit the setting of those shots.

You're at least putting that 70-200/4L IS through it's paces. It definitely is the sharpest out of the four 70-200 range lenses. It's good to see you can use it rather than buying and not doing it any justice :p

Keep up the good work.

12. Osier

Osier Member

Nice work man, I'm really digging those snaps. :thumbup: