Domain names, where to buy

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Goobers, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Goobers

Goobers Member

I want to get some domain names for my business, and Ive done some research, but it never hurts to do a little bit more.

so far the two that Ive been looking into the most are Melbourne it, because my father uses that to register his domains, and crazy domains, because it appeared to be cheap at the time with $12/year domain registration.

crazy domains seems to be an Ala Carte style domain registrar, in they offer $12/year base fee, but if you want anything else like a dns upgrade or extra privacy protection it costs $$$, still when I was done going through the registration motions for 2 .au domains it came to < $100 for 2 years, so it seems like the way to go, but I just wanted to know if anyone else knew of a hassle free domain registrar that I could check out before I pull the trigger.

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

I find it's helpful to check out Whirlpool's "Web hosting" forum for any threads on a registrar or host before I go ahead.

e.g., Crazy Domains and Melbourne IT.

3. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

i have a reseller account with Planet Domain.

cant comment on their support as ive never had to use it :)

with regard to .au's .. ive set my sell price to be around $44/2yr and im fairly sure i can buy them cheaper than that.
    so that would work out to be around $80 for 2 .aus

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. OP
    OP
    Goobers

Goobers Member

Cheers, I dont go on whirlpool much cause their colour scheme and layout looks like the vomit i eject after viewing their site, but the information definitely is helpful, the first question that comes to mind is, if I search whirlpool for any domain registrar am I always going to find a swathe of negative threads, you know what they say, good things never get as much exposure as bad things.

orly, googles planet domain, whistles* doo dee doo dee doo.

5. Rezin

Rezin Member

Most likely, but not always the case. Judge an OP for yourself though and any posts that defend the company. There's always more than one source too (WHT.au).

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

melbourneit are not the cheapest, not by a longshot. their management and after-sales is reasonable though.

7. hystericalme

hystericalme (Banned or Deleted)

VentraIP are by far the best and the cheapest ($19.95). They're quick to respond as well and sponsor a few other aussie forums like DNtrade (won't link it seeing it's another forum).

8. zeggie

zeggie Member

+1

I use VentraIP and rate them very highly. They have plenty of options and good support and prices to match.

9. OP
    OP
    Goobers

Goobers Member

cheers, went with ventra, now to find out how to do email forwarding