Domino's Trickery on Satay Sauce Safety

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by TamedShrew, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

Guys and gals,
    Just a heads up on the latest Dominos promo email received today
    It refers to their Satay Pizzas.
    They claim "We make all Our Satay Sauce Nut Free So Everyone Can Enjoy it"
    However this is quite deceptive and could lead someone with a nut allergy into a false sense of security .. You only have to see their table below
    http://www.dominos.com.au/pdf/nutritional/Allergen_Listing_AU_Dec_2010_2010.pdf
    which shows their toppings do contain nuts and nut products and they disclaim any responsibly by stating:
    Dominos (sic) stores will endevour (sic) to provide allergen free pizzas if requested by the customer but cannot guarantee 100% protection of cross contamination from within store operation
    This is very mischievous and irresponsible advertising. They fail to disclose the full facts on their email and this allergen table is not easily found. It's found under "Nutritional Information"

2. influx

influx Member

If you look at the table you provided then you can see there is no tick in the satay sauce columns for nuts. They claim "We make all Our Satay Sauce Nut Free So Everyone Can Enjoy it" which is factually true. Everyone can enjoy the sauce. It’s your own fault if you’re stupid enough to assume that because one ingredient contains no nuts, none of the others will.

3. ttv8

ttv8 Member

If you expect controls on cross contamination for a $5 pizza, you probably deserve it

4. OP
    OP
    TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

No it's not one being stupid it's misleading anyone can see that except you. It doesn't state that the satay pizza has nuts anywhere in the email I have received. You ignore blissfully their disclaimer , which isn't shown on the email promo I have about cross-contamination.. If your child has a nut allergy you would be more concerned than you are.

5. timsarg

timsarg Member

why would you be feeding your child a piece of shit that has no nutritional value . Make a home made pizza instead for the same price and a million times tastier

6. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre (Banned or Deleted)

Because not everyone has the time to do so?

7. broox

broox Member

I'm fine with it.

If you're a parent of a kid that has a nut allergy, I think you'll be checking nutrition info 24/7, and be on top of most issues. AND why would you tease them with the tasty, tasty peanut flavour that will haunt them for the rest of their lives :lol:
    I think you'll also find that this kind of disclaimer would have still been there before the satay pizza promo came out.
    Atleast they made it nut free to not (easily) cross contaminate everything else they make and potentially kill someone who didn't know about the promo if they just phoned in an order or something.

No time + lazy
    But I prefer my local independent pizza joint over chains anyways. not that its much better :Pirate:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  8. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Why so much fuss over something that costs $5 or so?

If I (or a partner/child etc) had an allergy to nuts I certainly wouldn't being buying a pizza from somewhere like Dominos.

i.e. I'm not going to risj my health with a (typically) someone beeing paid an hourly rate plus deliveries.

The staff generally just don't get paid enough to care about this sort of thing.
    Dont't take the risk in the first place, or go to more reputable pizza establishment that gives you pizzas that taste better than a $5 pizza.

9. OP
    OP
    TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

This isn't got to do with nutritional value , please stay OT.

Price is irrelevant, so are you saying people who buy pizza should accept being killed by an allergy reaction that could have been easily avoided had they known the full information beforehand? You are a very callous and cold-hearted person. Anaphylactic shock is life-threatening.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  10. Penfold

Penfold Member

Hmm tough one.
    The 'may contain traces of nuts' is a disclaimer on most food goods. Lets face it, contamination with a 'nut' product could occur anywhere in the product pipeline and even after the pizza has been given to the customer. I can see where they are coming from, where, they are outlining that there satay contains no nuts (is it really a satay?) could be enjoyed by anyone.
    In any event it is safer for the organization to protect itself with a disclaimer then risk a possible law suit.

11. influx

influx Member

If I were a reasonable person of average or even below average intelligence I would know that if I, or a person under my care, has a life-threatening allergy, to take special care in ascertaining the content of premade foods. Again, I would note that although the sauce does not contain nuts, unless I have ordered a very strange pizza, there will be other toppings, not to mention a base.

By all means report the matter to the ACCC if you think it violates s 52 of the TPA which prohibits misleading or deceptive conduct. I'll even give you the link: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/main...omItemId=21094&inPop=1&returnUrl=.&type=Other. This has the potential to achieve more than bitching on an overclocking forum will.

In my opinion an average consumer would not be misled. A court may disagree. If you care deeply enough about it you could even commence the legal action yourself.

Also, the price of the product is relevant when it comes to whether the actions the seller takes to prevent cross contamination are reasonable.

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Are there even Domino's pizzas with nuts on them? It doesn't look like there are. As such, how is the cross contamination going to occur in the first place?

:confused:

Looks like a standard disclaimer to me, but hey, wouldn't want facts or logic to get in the way of a whinge.

P.S. I have an allergy to nuts.

13. OP
    OP
    TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

The disclaimer is not on the email I received , it is on their website which you have to click through and be aware that it is under "Nutritional Information"

Here is the email I received. No disclaimer at all

[​IMG]

Why do have food safety standards relating to ingredients when we have someone so "reasonable" as you ? Why don't we just scrap them entirely and rely on the average person being reasonable? We won't have any problems with people with allergies with this type of understanding will we? I am sure parents of children with allergies will see that this statement as foolhardy.

I am glad you have the god-given ability to determine what an average consumer is. Are you psychic?

How? What do you base this upon ? I can't find any correlation of price vs food safety on the Food Standards Australia website. Please enlighten us all with your valuable insight on price and food safety !!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  14. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

If it's life threatening then it's on you to make sure you don't eat nuts. This is a "whack it all together on the same assembly line" setup, so yes cross contamination CAN and WILL happen.

If you don't like it, make your own fucking pizza. Seriously.

15. OP
    OP
    TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

Yes but this was not on the email I received, there is no such disclaimer on the email I received. It says the satay sauce is able to be enjoyed by everyone. Don't you see the difference?

If the manufacturer says it is safe to eat and doesn't contain nuts, then you should have reasonable faith that this information is correct. It is also the law under Foods Standards Australia to ensure foods are correctly labeled. I have quoted the relevant section. So you don't care if Domino's is flouting the law by advertising their Satay Sauce is safe for everyone but in reality the pizza itself may not be free from allergens from cross-contamination. You should see the email I received. I have posted it in this thread.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/_Documents/consumer_pdf/allergies.pdf

Food Standards Australia New Zealand sets
    standards for labelling of products containing food
    allergens, gluten and sulphite preservatives. Any
    product containing these must be declared on the
    packaging, on or in connection with the display or
    declared upon request at the time of purchase. Look
    for statements on product labels, or near the product,
    like “contains peanuts” or “this product may contain
    traces of egg or egg products"

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  16. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

I still don't see the problem. The have (correctly) stated the SAUCE is nut-free, and have a disclaimer on their nutritional information that while they endeavour to maintain practices, they're not perfect. That's not illegal.

If they were flouting the law, I'm sure someone would have already complained and had it changed. The SAUCE is nut free but the pizza may or may not be. While you feel it's a little sneaky, it's legal and correct.

If you're allergic to a certain food substance and DONT go and look at the nutrition information, well that would be your own stupidity wouldn't it?

17. dink

dink Member

I like how people here completely miss the point. For some reason, posters here don't care how large companies behave. Posters abuse you for standing up to big companies. "Take your money elsewhere", "you're wasting your time" and "You don't understand, man" are the typical comments. Seriously, help the guy out or shut the hell up.

It is misleading to say something in BIG BOLD LETTERS and then retracting it in the fine print.

CONTAINS NO NUTS*

*may contain traces of nuts

18. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

That's not what's happening though. They're saying "Satay sauce contains no nuts but depending on the assembly line, your pizza might".

They're not saying "OUR PIZZAS CONTAIN NO NUTS Well they might"

19. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

Erm isn't that just misleading?...I mean you eat pizza you eat the pizza dough & toppings & sauce...not just the sauce itself...why advertise/guarantee the sauce has no nuts BUT cannot say the same for the whole pizza itself?

& what the fuck satay sauce with no peanuts?...that's just wrong!!

20. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

I dare say the sauce comes bottled from a third party off a manufacturing line that guarantees no nuts. In something like a pizza place, it's nigh impossible to guarantee you won't get x on your pizza due to the way the pizza line is set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.