Don't Starve

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by K.I.L.E.R, Nov 11, 2012.

1. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Member

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/

Found this while browsing Rage3D, however I did overlook this game previously, until I saw the video. Bought it on Steam, if anyone wants a free copy I can give you one.

I played for an hour, and found the game to be a survivalist roguelike, permadeath, random map gen, etc..., and it is a sandbox game. I am not very far into the game, and I am going to do a bit more research on how to get techs and stuff. The game lets you research techs, which are kept between deaths, and you can build up a combat character and all sorts of cool stuff like traps and setting stuff on fire. You need to eat to survive, and there are many ways to eat, killing monsters, killing bees, killing livestock, making a farm, etc..., but plan ahead. I died on my first two times due to not prioritising nutrition. The game has building, and magic in it as well, however due to me not really knowing how to play it I will read up on how to unlock research points.

Overall the biggest weakness of this game is lack of manual/tutorial. I prefer manuals myself as I can just quickly read up on things, rather than a tedious in-game tutorial. Content updates occur every week/fortnight. The game is beta and set for a full release on Feb 2013, but you can currently play the beta by buying the game.

Summary:
    • Permadeath, Map generation, Sandbox
    • Survivalist (need food)
    • Magic
    • Swords and Armour
    • Pre-realease
    • Game has adventure mechanics, drag inventory items onto world items to form stuff.
    • Feed science machine with items, the rarer, the more points you get for research

UPDATE:
    4 hours into the game and I have "beaten" all the content. The game shows a lot of promise but has nearly no content, let us hope they let users mod the game. Hopefully the game becomes fully mod-able.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. arniek

arniek Member

This looks interesting. If you still have a copy I would love to have it.

3. OP
    OP
    K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Member

Just sent you an invite to make sure I am sending to you and not one of the other 50K people.

4. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Monster meat is deadly fyi

5. arniek

arniek Member

I have accepted your invite I think. The steam ID had the initials K S

6. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

Cooked or otherwise and not just a little, it HURTS.

7. OP
    OP
    K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Member

Sent it to you arniek.

I wish the game was much harder. All you need is a fire and a few logs to survive the night. They should make nights gradually harder, and with more monsters coming out. Night manifestations would be a cool.

8. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Damnit, was keen on this til I read about the content issue. :< Might give it awhile.

9. arniek

arniek Member

Firstly thank you to Kiler it was very generous of you.

Well according to steam I have put about 9 hours into this game.
    For a game in alpha/beta stage it is very polished, I haven't come across any bugs.

It is strange, for a game with no missions or quests I thought I would get bored very quickly. But so far its very fun and I haven't run out of things to do.

This next patch is looking very promising, with added hounds to hunt you.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?1780-Nov-27-Preview!

10. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

It entertaining for 5 minutes, until you realise it's minecraft on a 3d plane with 2d sprite.

11. nathan_g

nathan_g Member

Downloaded this a couple of days ago. Having a really fun time. It's so brutal when your character of 20 days starves to death. Each death seems to come from semi interesting circumstances also. For example my last death:

- Spider fight, mid fight my armour breaks so I had to bail. Down to 4 health
    - Meanwhile I figure while I'm in the area, I may as well mine some stuff as I'm down on gold. Mine for the rest of the day hunger reaches 8
    - Quickly run home and reach stash. Pick up pumpkin ready to eat.
    - pockets full (from mining all the ore,flint and gold) so place pumpkin next to camp to start the fire so I can cook it (Hunger reaches 0 at this point)
    - Light fire in a panic, meanwhile a PigMan comes up and eats my pumpkin
    - Panic and click PigMan in a vain attempt to pick up pumpkin. Had spear equipped so stabbed PigMan who instant agro'd and punched me once and I explode...

It's brutal but I'm really enjoying it.

Completely disagree, minecraft is more focused on creativity and freedom while Don't Starve is more focused on surviving. It becomes a real challenge just to gather food ready for winter to come. Then there is the frostbites and food going stale and just gathering enough material to light a fire in emergencies...

It's an experience I personally have not encountered before and enjoying it immensely. Would recommend :thumbup:

12. MoorKhan

MoorKhan Member

To be fair, the game has change enormously since he posted that ... winter, food going stale, the revised research system, basically everything you mentioned is a fairly recent addition.

I like it, and still play occasionally. A bit concerned that my game world is so old some of the stuff in it might not work anymore though... it would suck if I died and discovered my meat effigy didn't save me.

13. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

I picked this up on the Steam sale and it has changed significantly since its beta. Put about 11 hours into it so far and it is keeping me very busy, with lots of permadeaths.

Science is no longer kept between deaths. Everything hurts a lot when it hits you. Hounds hunt you. If you forget to light your fire quickly enough, you're dead. Food goes stale. There are multiple worlds and wormholes to explore (not sure if these were in beta).

Overall love it, roguelike and wonderful to see permadeath appear once again. There are plenty of mods available too, but I'm happy for now playing it as it is.

14. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

the wormholes weren't in beta. At least not when I was playing it. The multiple worlds I'm not so sure of I never got that far in Beta. Winter is what's screwing me over all the time, I never quite have enough food to see me through and I die stupidly hunting for more.

15. boneburner

boneburner Member

Impressed by my friends 68 day streak, he informed me of a player who is a champion survivor.

Very informative on how to stay alive. This is a link to her Twitch channel, 3rd vid down on the right is where she loses out on day 558!

http://www.twitch.tv/stealthgeekery

16. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

My longest run is 11 days so far

edit: make that 16. Totally recommend this game as a fun timewaster, especially if you enjoy permadeath :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  17. Tekin

Tekin Member

As an FYI - this game is going multiplayer this winter. (Summer US) Alpha is due in a few months, then hopefully a full blooded update.

Free if you already own it, the price is being bumped up one it's released fully.

Would be awesome as a multiplayer game!

18. STINGA

STINGA Member

Don't Starve Together is in beta at the moment and is a lot of fun.

19. Tekin

Tekin Member

Yeah - got a good mate and we're playing a fair bit together. It's fun - but being resurrectable ghosts definitely has some advantages compared to the permadeath of the single player.

20. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Can it do local co op (split screen)?