dont sweep your perspex sawdust

Discussion in 'Modding' started by elementalelf, May 10, 2007.

1. elementalelf

elementalelf Member

you know the dust you get all over the place after jigsawwing or sanding perspex?
    collect as much of that as you can into a cup, fill with water, pespex should stay at the bottom, dirt and shit floats to the top.
    scoop the dirt off the top
    empty water and leave dust to dry.

whenever you need something to glue 2 pieces of perspex together, get as much dust as you need, put it in a NON plastic container, fill(just over the perspex) with nail polish remover, and leave for about 2 hours, the paste that remains is a GREAT perspex glue.

2. slamaa

slamaa Member

now that seams like a very good idea, just one thing, how the hell does someone figure something like that out?

3. ener

ener Member

lol thats a great idea, just dont sniff it too much

4. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

i poured some acetone into a chinese food container once, melted through the bottom, but the edges of the hole was gooey... light bulb went on

5. Complexity

Complexity Member

Possibly the same way someone found out that the liquid that comes from a cows udder is consumable!! :D Well, maybe not the same way but hell, it's equally a puzzling question!

edit: or you pour acetone into a Chinese food container.

6. whitey

whitey Member

Dirt,metal filings and gravel etc. don't float.
    The best way to do this would be to catch the particles before they land on the floor with a sheet of plastic or similar.

7. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Or just put up with a tiny bit of dust being in your glue. It's GLUE!
    Do Safeway still sell acetone? I could only find acetone-free nail polish remover when I looked, and the GF goes through it by the gallon. But none of it is acetone, so it doesn't melt perspex. :(

--
    Nathan

8. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

tiny bit of dust being in glue is bad, very bad.

this glue is PERSPEX, and it works REALLY well, pics coming tomorrow...
    last time i tested it on something small(both pieces were about half the size of the hdd)
    from looking at the front, you couldnt tell that it used to be 2 seperate pieces.
    with dust in there, it wouldnt look right.

9. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Has anybody actually tried this, first hand?

10. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

*puts up hand*

im mixing my 2nd batch now.

11. inspectr

inspectr Member

Its no different to a floor sander using the sawdust (sanderdust???) and the polyurethane as a filler when sanding floors.

Ive used the same method with chlorform mixed with clean perspex "dust" Cant remember how well it worked but I had a good sleep

12. The Bad Egg

The Bad Egg Member

I've done this as well, it works well :) IIRC I was shown this trick in plastics class in high school, but from memory we used chlorform

13. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Yeah, the thing is, it will work well if chloroform or methylene chloride is used, but i'm not sure how well it would work by comparison with acetone being used.

14. inspectr

inspectr Member

I think that the advantage of chloroform is that it is a little more viscous than acetone and evaporates (flashes off) less quickly. The beauty of using dissolved perspex is that the glue becomes "gap filling" as well.

Ive built a couple of perspex cases, one other trick is to swipe a gas torch very quickly along the cut edge to polish / glaze up the edge. Takes a bit of practice and I would not recommend using the trick until one had practiced on some scrap though

15. Osier

Osier Member

Cool, so sniffing it just a 'lil bit is ok then.
    How's it compare to petrol? :weirdo:

16. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Try a hardware shop. You can buy 1 litre tins of the stuff in it's pure form. :weirdo:

17. The Bad Egg

The Bad Egg Member

Solvent abuse is bad, m'kay?

But if you must know Osier....chloroform is more plesant than petrol by far, it smells nicer, and where petrol is more like a nightmare, chloroform is more like a dream.

BTW, x-screen printer here, I've been exposed to more (and far nastier) solvents than most anyone this side of spraypainters, and they are really, really, really bad. I still recall, sort of, coming home after working with xylene and tolulene based laquers (and fuming soduim hydroxide, oxidising agents,etc) hitting the cannabis and being straighter after that than I was at work. :Paranoid:

Just dont do it, while its cheap and easy its not worth the fallout that solvents bring :tired:

18. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Chloroform might smell nice, but it's actually fairly toxic, certainly more toxic than most hydrocarbon solvents.

In fact, for solvent welding acrylic, and as the base in most acrylic adhesives, dichloromethane (methylene chloride) is far more common today, because it's considerably less toxic than chloroform.

19. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

regardless.. it works, its quick, its cheap, its what ill use.
    ill take all the proper precautions(home made gas mask out of charcoal, medical mask, tissues, some perspex and a few rubber bands) whenever im near it.

20. evil-mooo

evil-mooo Member

I want to see it. Somehow I wouldn't trust a "home made" gas mask...