1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW Dont throw away old socket 775 / AM2 HSF

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Kelvin, May 30, 2020.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Cleaning up my gear, I found a bunch of old ICeage 120 HSF
    (socket 775/939 / AM2+ HSF)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/3rsystem-ice-age/

I think they were the fist direct heatpipe to CPU HSF developed..

Did some investigating to see if I could use it on socket 115x w... no go..
    But AM2/AM3 hsf with clips are compatible with AM4..

So.. Fired up the Asus C6H with a 3600..
    Clipped on the old HSF...
    Prime 95 at 75 degrees, (jet engine)
    Silent at idle.. (DC controlled) - had lost the included fan controller a long time ago..

Lesson..

Don't throw away those old CPU HSF.. they still could be useful..

sammy_b0i and RnR like this.
  2. neRok

neRok Member

I've got a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on my AMD 754 PC. Put it on my 3900X you reckon :lol:

Nah, CBF

335 GT likes this.
  3. chook

chook Member

I had one of them too. It was on my ex's A64 3000+ when we split and I never got it back. I don't begrudge it to her but sometimes I miss that cooler.

philquad likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

5. RnR

RnR Member

Has there been any changes to AMD's clamp pressure recommendations for their cpu's over the years?

6. kr0k

kr0k Member

I've got a PII X4 955 black stock HSF, would that work on a 3950x in the interim (until I buy a proper cooler) ?

7. neRok

neRok Member

It has a reported TDP of 125W, but that's not a consistent metric in the industry and so might not have the same meaning today.

If you do it, to be safe, go into the bios and enable eco mode. That will bring down the TDP max of the CPU.

8. kr0k

kr0k Member

Turns out its not the stock cooler but rather a aftermarket coolermaster HSF from what I can only gather/guess is the H212. How does that compare? Trying to gather some info/specs on it but my google-fu is failing me lately as I can only find info on the revised versions of late.

9. mtma

mtma Member

IIRC 212 was good but at the time the Thermalright Ultra Extreme held the king of the hill of 120 air for a very long time. There were many attempts to dislodge its air cool performance crown back in the day.

10. RnR

RnR Member

Still running a Zalman CNPS9900 on my 1055t. 782grams. Mostly copper apparently. Show case honours sticker from the 2009 CES on the box, and yes uses the clips for mounting.

11. Phido

Phido Member

I think it should as long as you mount it correctly.

Anything Phenom II and onwards with the heatpipes was pretty decent in terms of cooler. They are basically the same cooler as the newer units just with newer fans.

[​IMG]

Ryzen cooler

[​IMG]

Phenom II cooler.

These are expensive to make and are a quality cooler (unlike the intel junk, by 4790k cooler was a peice of shit and couldn't cool it at stock). I wouldn't be surprised if AMD moves to cheaper coolers for the 8 cores and less CPU's to make them more profitable. A 3700x for example will be able to be cooled by the standard 65w cooler (no heatpipe). With Ryzen 4000 being 15-30% more power efficient I would say they will only bundle the cheaper heatsinks with 8 cores.

12. kr0k

kr0k Member

Mine looks like this (H212).

upload_2020-6-18_20-49-15.png

The problem is I cant get any sort of performance data on each cooler (i.e. an actual TDP figure) - just vague information. I only intend a mild overclock or just PBO as I think 16cores is enough for my uses. Too old for gaming and just want something I can throw tasks (i.e. a baby threadripper) - that and my computer is really friggin old. From my research it will need an AM4 mounting kit which also seems scarce. Thing is its only intended as a temporary cooler until I decide on something more permanent (AIO or one of those oversized Noctua coolers).

13. Phido

Phido Member

Basically all of Ryzen uses less power than AM3 CPU's. Modern Ryzen 3000 cpu's barely overclock at all, so there isn't a need to have a massive cooler. 3950 thermally is pretty simular to a 1800x.

14. philquad

philquad Member

im still angry at my ex wife for making me leave
    she was a realy good cook

otherwise i still got a old copper block thing on my amd, i used to love the volcanos

15. chook

chook Member

Well, to be honest I miss the Big Typhoon more than the ex but I was the cook :p.

16. philquad

philquad Member

at least with the heatsinks, if they had a controller you can turn them up when you want, unlike wives :lol:

chook likes this.