1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Doom 4

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by hot_sparx, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Can you enable shadow copies on the save file directory?

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

Reading the Steam/Bethesda forums it seems like almost everyone is having the problem. Yet they still won't recognise it as a problem / solution is to delete your saves and start again. Seems it's a bullshit 'feature' and poorly implemented (who cares if someone cheats in the SP mode, or while building snapmaps).

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

out of curiosity - are people using start options - potentially disabling the disabled M_smoothing and enabling U-N.

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I'm using absolutely nothing in my case. I did have disable the startup videos but that didn't really do anything since they seem to use that time to load game files anyway so it just sat at a black-ish screen wile it loaded.

My annoyance is that it's really easy to trigger and it seems they've done nothing to protect the game from Dev mode. It should be triggered by a specific launch parameters, not from a game crash or accidentally opening the console.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

First time it happened to me, I had startup options set (skip intro video), but thrice since, nothing. disabled steam sync, followed all the 'fixes' in the forums. it's definitely a bug in the game. I also get the crash to desktop bug too.

I'm hoping they come out with a fix soon. I don't want to have to restart again until I know it's fixed. currently I'm just playing through with the problem. It was a good diversion while I was off sick last week.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

dev mode appears (going from the logs I can find) has nothing to do with start up options, or people hitting ~ key. It happens when trying to load a corrupt save game. If it happens to you, hit the ~ button when you first get the error message, and check the console log, a few lines up in yellow it'll say loading unverified save game.

The problem - and what needs to be fixed - is whatever is corrupting the save games. I've had it happen after a crash to desktop, I've also had it happen when successfully closing the game via the 'exit to desktop' menu.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Tried whitelisting the file/directory in your AV?

8. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Bethesda's basically blame it on everything but the game though which is shit. They just need to fix the damn problem.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

I have the following launch options set, since day 1 - no problems, using 2 different save slots:
    But I have had no crash to desktops (running latest nvidia drivers on 980Ti)

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

you're one of the few lucky ones.

11. Frogloose

Frogloose (Banned or Deleted)

Hi,

No problems for me from day 1, even over 2 different PC's with completely different configurations.

Just finished it this afternoon, final boss was disappointing, wasnt much of a challenge.

Good game, but i dont think its worth 45-60aud, maybe 30aud.

Cheers
    Frogloose

12. GregDude

GregDude Member

Not necessarily cause and effect, but after updating to latest nvidia drivers, I've had 2x crash to desktop.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Trawling the sound files looking for the 'secret found' riff for a message tone for my phone. I find it I'll link it here in case any of you want it.

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Cyber demon was really easy... hmm.... Died once in the second phase because I didn't know it existed so I was fucking around.

Should have had base level enemies spawning in the room at the same time.

16. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

Translation - it is a DRM feature.

While it does seem like a stupid feature, it probably exists so people do not hack the saved game files to get things.

It definitely seems well past the period where you could get a game and do what you want with it.

17. havabeer

havabeer Member

is this one of those games i could just grab all the steam files from someone else and just copy it over into my own steam folder

i have bought the game just not looking forward to downloading 45gig

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yes.

Being a steam game, Its like every single Steam Game in existence.

19. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Maybe, not sure considering the DRM enforcement technology being used (as discussed a few pages back) certainly isn't the norm - as it downloads executable binary code specific for your CPU revision when it is initialized.

20. miicah

miicah Member

My GTX660 will apparently get me roughly 25fps on Ultra, is it worth spending somewhere around the $100 mark (after selling it) to upgrade to a 280x? Benchmarks seem to indicate it can get close to 50fps on Ultra, and 70fps on medium.