1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Doom Eternal

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Azrael, Jun 11, 2018.

1. power

power Member

I love this game, but the more I play it (and this applies to the last one too) the more I feel like I'm playing Quake III.

Deano_20802 likes this.
  2. havabeer

havabeer Member

From the couple of videos about it, it seemed like where this was heading, i thought the multiplayer might have pretty much just been quake 3 arena

3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Shipping cost for CE was $5.95 IIRC.

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Now I have the plasma rifle and couple new abilities im starting to finish fights with a smile on my face, its hectic as.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not a bad thing.

power likes this.
  6. chook

chook Member

Launch is when the, "I must have this right now, regardless of the cost," purchasers are prepared to get on the hype train; look at me and Cyberpunk 2077. That is the best opportunity for the developer to recoup the most money they can given that leading up to release has just been one giant cashflow drain.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I spoke to a mate of mine in Iceland, and he was shocked when I mentioned this. Over there digital games typically come in 20% less than physical, and the drop from there over time.

I showed him pricing here and he thought it was nuts. If publishers keep pulling the "low population density" crap, they need to explain why Iceland have it better than us.

8. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Just wait till you get to the Marauder! Unlesss you are already there...

I just got up to the second (I think) proper boss fight - lots of exposition about the doomguy just prior.

9. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Super shotgun. Conversation ender.

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

As mentioned a GPU bump would yield decent results, maybe also a cheap after market CPU cooler and an overclock (if not done already)? That's it, don't pour any other money into a platform like that for games like this.

The better gameplay I've seen very much reminded me of Q3 (and even Q2 MP with bots), it's got me rather excited to play it, but I suspect only in short bursts. I'll pick it up later in the year when I have free time.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Vulkan loves GPU more then CPU IIRC so yeah replace that 680 with a second hand 980 or something and itl be sweet.

This game is insanely well optimised and even runs great on the ps4 non pro.

Good watch on the tech:

miicah and Deano_20802 like this.
  12. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I literally just finished watching that while finishing a few things up for tomorrow :thumbup:

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

This game is such a mixed bag. Still not sure how I feel about it.

It's good, but it's not really Doom. I feel like whoever was in charge just kept coming up with all these "great ideas" that have to be in the game and forced down your throat just to be sure. Luckily the devs somehow managed to make a half decent game despite all the bullshit it "had to have", not because of it.

Does everything possible to slow you down... So sick of kill 3 dudes, attempt to injure one guy, glory kill / chainsaw, repeat. Wouldn't be so bad if you still had some control, or the enemies stopped while these glorified reload animations are going on. Attempt to get health/ammo, die the second the animation has finished because someone had lined you up while you had no control.

No deathmatch was the biggest sin. Take away the bullshit and this would of made a great arena shooter. But even the multiplayer is an over complicated mess that will end up dead unless they open it up for modders to fix.

Wait, I take that back. Making doomguy talk was the biggest sin. Let alone making him sound like a total douche bag while doing it. :/

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

CS review: https://www.comingsoon.net/games/reviews/1128265-cs-reviews-doom-eternal

Bottom line?

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Considering how disconnected Doom 2016 MP was from the main game, not having DM in this made sense. Doubley so when id/Bethesda already have Quake Champions still going to avoid canabilsing their own player (tiny) player base.

16. power

power Member

i get this, the game basically forces you to play a specific way. Gmanlives touched on this in his early looks. Glory kills and chainsaw are not optional.

17. pittster

pittster Member

Now i have learnt the mechanics, the required flow of game play and unlocked a a bunch of upgrades for the weapons i went back up to Ultra violence skill and am having a great time, Second reply will be more fun now i know all the ins and outs.

The Gore Nest gave me massive Quake 3 Arena vibes, such a visually outstanding game.

18. James086

James086 Member

I must admit the game is getting more fun as I progress and get better at it. I still feel like I'm interrupted to seek ammo with the chainsaw too often though. I find the faster glory kill rune is handy, too many times I would get killed by an enemy that had shot at or approached me while I was glory killing.

macktheknife likes this.
  19. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Not a fan of this one but i dont think its gone below 100fps @3440x1440 maxed out on a 1080ti

20. Will S

Will S Member

Initial thoughts are I hate the interface and the graphics look shit in comparison , compared to the last one its total crap................still one day it will come in handy