1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Doom Eternal

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Azrael, Jun 11, 2018.

1. power

power Member

i'd hardly call one comment ""the hate".

2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Well I was specifically referring to his comment, ill quote it next time just to keep you happy.

3. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah as someone who is playing this on PS4, i have often felt the opposite. A lot of the platforming and combat is way harder without mouse + keyboard due to the intensity of the battles and precision required for effective enemy disabling - arachnotron turrets for example. Im finding that im basically using Precision bolts on the HR for almost every situation. But you still gotta use a healthy balance of your entire arsenal to survive.

Still playing on UV, havent folded under pressure yet haha, even when some battles have taken many, many attempts. So satisfying when you finally get it

I am definitely coming more over to the Eternal side vs 2016 entry. I think Doom 2016 was definitely a more traditional modernisation of Doom and why i love it so much. Eternal is just a whole other level of nuts, its fucking epic im loving it.

How they optimised it to run butter smooth constant 4K/60fps with HDR on ps4 pro is amazing in itself...hasnt faltered once yet for me

PsychoSmiley and jjjc_93 like this.
  4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Is there any aim assist on console? I couldnt imagine it.. especially without. You need a mouse for this kind of game.

5. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I dont know how people play shooters on a console, its painful!

Nethiuz likes this.
  6. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah there is, i have it on bare minimum to assist with specific targeting (mancubus arms for example) but ultimately prefer to aim myself

Takes getting used to but im having a great time :)

It's not really the combat i feel without, it's all the maneuvering and parkour combat that is much more complicated/limited with a controller vs m+kb, for me anyway

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Fair enough, the biggest loss is 60hz too, this game is amazing in 144hz :)

gtarmanrob likes this.
  8. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Oh man yeah i can imagine haha cant wait to play it on PC, just gonna wait for a good steam sale price now

Is the kind of game I can easily see myself playing again and again

9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I must have finished doom 2016 at least 4 times start to finish and some other mucking about with it without playing the campaign inbetween. Definitely got my squeeze out of it and I feel like Eternal is going to be the same.

It was cool playing it across different builds too. From PS4 to basic PC, to decent PC in 4k, to Ultrawide 120hz. Each time was like a new experience, can't say I've done that with many other games.

gtarmanrob likes this.
  10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Heh, Think I first played Doom 2016 on a tiny little dell with a 750ti. Held up pretty well all things considered!

Finally got my maximum sparkle on with the Doomicorn skin. :D

[​IMG]

ChinoPD likes this.
  11. power

power Member

that is amazing, and i love it.

12. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Haha nice, what does it take to fully unlock?

Also you guys finding the Bethesda.net connection dropping out quite often? pauses combat. Very annoying

13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Just unlocks using whatever points you normally earn I think. Shows skin levels in the events section.

Seems battlemode gives a bootload more points than playing single player. Just fall out of the world and wait for the others to give up and disconnect for an easy win. ahahaha

Edit: No issues with bethesda.net dropping out on my end.

14. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Hmm looks like I'm just about to head into the point of no return... I've got one slayer gate I skipped over. Is the unmakyr worth heading back for? I mean I'll probably do it just because it will annoy me if I don't but yeah...

15. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Hah, yeah I skipped the slayer gates on my nightmare play through and came back to them later.

Armed with the BFG and other things you can make short work of them. ;)

16. James086

James086 Member

While it's not as cool as the sword it's more useful, you can kill more than 3 demons before you run out of ammo. You can go back later if you're interested in completion because it's certainly not essential for getting through the game.

17. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Cheers... think I've had enough for tonight but will see how I feel about it tomorrow. Isolation does wonders for my motivation to punish myself...

Funnily enough, it's the slayer gate with the Marauder (Mars Core I think?) which I died in once, then presumed he was the 'final' enemy of it so went back in and cleaned everything else up, then kited him for a while... finally killed him feeling all sweaty. Then multiple fucking barons of hell spawn + whatever else. 2 rounds of BFG later and I still died! Haha!

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

the first 2 levels are easy now with all guns and abilities so i went back to explore for the collectables.

19. Will S

Will S Member

it looks crap...the ammo boxes and health look crap, the walking dead look poor imitations of the walking dead in Doom 2016 ......I have an excellent monitor and 2080 gpu and the graphics are crap in comparison

2016 looked like a PC shooter with a story...this looks like a Quake shoot a thon...hell. may as well just go and play ........

20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Its def a step up visually at a technical level, more detailed textures, higher poly counts, better lighting, you name it... watch some comparison videos. I think you just prefer the art style of 2016.

The platforming is a little OTT at times and game is almost too complicated with like 4 or more systems to upgrade, but I still end the huge fights with a smile. Its much harder and more intense, but so much more to think about (gren, gren type, flamer, chainsaw, weapons, alt fires, blood punch thing, secondary weapon modes) its a bit overwhelming at times and I just button mash.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    jjjc_93 likes this.