1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Doom Eternal

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Azrael, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Lol, anti cheat for the shittiest multiplayer ever.
    Also the fact that is causing numerous other issues on peoples systems outside of the game BSODs and what not, it is an absolutely bullshit move.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I finally picked this up and started playing it last night.

Slightly disappointed by the graphics (might just be the lighting of the outdoor areas) and a bit surprised by the gameplay (bit different to what I was expecting). The 'lore' is also a bit odd

Still enjoying it though

edit: btw it looks like they rolled back that DRM/anti-cheat fiasco a little while back

edit edit: I've also noticed this game has a similar flaw to DOOM 2016 where it decides it's okay to change my monitors refresh rate... it keeps changing it to 120hz in windows settings whenever I launch the game (with 2016 it would force it to 60hz)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    ChinoPD likes this.
  3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

The graphics are a step up from 2016, just the art style of early levels is bit meh. Gets better.

I haven't had the refresh rate issue.

mesaoz likes this.
  4. alfster

alfster Member

I'm slowly getting through it, I'm enjoying it. I find it a bit hard, I often switch to "I'm too young to die" to get through the hardest fights so I can move on. The jumping puzzles are something else, I often get stuck on one of them for while before I get the jump right & can keep going.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah jumping puzzles are enough that I didn't reccomend to father in law. He just wants to casually shoot shit not quadruple jump and wall run.

gtarmanrob likes this.
  6. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

imo the jumping puzzles are cleverly designed, well executed, yet massively overused

7. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

I bought it in the Steam sale too, finding the lore stuff a bit odd. Just feels like a MASSIVE jump from where Doom 2016 ended as if there is a ton of stuff between 2016 and Eternal that they just expect you to know.

8. alfster

alfster Member

Can adjusting the field of view cause the game to crash? I had the field of view set at 90, increased it, game started crashing. Then I put it back to 90 & it hasn't crashed since.

9. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

I mean...you wouldnt think so but the evidence would suggest otherwise :p

Are you changing it via menu before loading the game, or during gameplay? Have you isolated that setting, like made sure it was the only single change you were making before the crash?

10. alfster

alfster Member

Yeah it was the only change. Not to worry, I got past the part where it kept crashing after I put it back to 90, which was arc complex get samuel hayden, so I'll keep going. The funny thing was it was the jumping section where a lot of people said they had problems with, finally got past that then it crashed at the same place at the top after the jumping, so I had to go back & do it again each time. Past it now anyway.