Doom Record Run

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Tinian, Apr 9, 2019.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Honestly wish I had time to watch 18m vids these days - I have to skim watch :(

But yeah My bad.. Didn't realise initial monster direction is Random, though maybe I been confused with wolf.. Not sure if mentioned in vid but also Damage is partially random - that certainly both fks everytthing. Learn something every day :S

Never been into speedrunning either :o , well only maybe very casually for kicks

oculi likes this.
  2. maxdamage

maxdamage Member

Dude seriously? Why comment

I went as far as calculating total game time he spent 125 hours playing....over how knows long? I spent 70 hours on Farcry 5 and had a great time. Why be a buzz kill?

3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Is posting on OCAU one thousand, nine hundred and fourteen times one of them?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    ShaggyMoose, millsy and mmBax like this.
  4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I would like to know how fast an AI could do it so we know how close to perfection this is.

5. Grant

Grant Member

You don't need an AI, you could do a near-perfect run then edit the demo file progressively to play with the RNG and set up the enemies in an ideal state with minimal deviation from the path. I'm not saying this person cheated or it was really a Tool-Assisted Speedrun, but such a thing would be possible with a game like Doom.

6. Lazlo999

Lazlo999 Member

Ok I did my own research here as i was curious about this demo file thing for anyone else who is confused or just wants to know more.
    http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/demomake.html <----- better link
    http://classicdoom.com/how-lmps.htm
    https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Demo

Given the last edited date on the first link (Last Change: 28/Jun/96) when i was playing this game I had no idea about any of this I just played the game.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The video in the OP said enemy placement was dictated by RNG.

Speaking as an optimistic nihilist, all pastimes are equally as pointless as each other. Everything we do is just wasting time until we die, and in a billion years none of it will matter.

So as long as you are having fun doing what you do (and not preventing others from having fun), it's all good. :)

I didn't say it *needed* AI. And I don't actually care about the end result of getting the perfect time. I just want to see AI have a crack at this, because it would be interesting, and easier to "teach" an AI system than more complex games.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  8. bYrd

bYrd Member

Yeah alright, excuse my grumpiness. I rarely have the time to game so speedruns x 50000 are unusual to me.

9. OP
    OP
    Tinian

Tinian Member

Would there be enough spare frames to get it down to seven seconds?

10. millsy

millsy Member

I noticed this pop up on youtube the other day, really enjoyed it. Love watching the doom TAS speedruns, recorded (near) perfection, marvellous :D

11. elvis

I 100% understand. I'm supremely envious of people who have a lot of time to play games. Twitch.tv simultaneously makes me happy that it exists, and pissed off that people can do things like play the entire NES and SNES libraries through end-to-end in a year or two, while I'm stuck working my arse off like a chump for decades.

Vanne and mAJORD like this.
  12. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Playing games and earning a living off of it is a dream. But as most popular streamers say, it takes lots of time, dedication, and mostly luck.

Can't see myself un-employing myself with no way of making money in the interim to have a chance of getting popular and earning money - that's all luck.

Do these speedrunners just pick a random game and go, hmmm this game has a record on YT, lemme try and beat it? What makes them dedicate 50k+ attempts to beat a record ?

13. elvis

Life is mostly luck. Luck where you're born, the opportunities you have, the conditions you live in, the people who care for you as an infant and through your developmental years.

But that's a topic for another time. Not for retro gaming forums. :)