DotA 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Aug 2, 2011.

1. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Hi all, couldn't see a link for this anywhere? If my search-fu has failed let me know.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5967/

Hopefully DotA 2 will be here sooner rather than later, and hopefully my internet will be installed in my new place before then so I can watch the coverage. If anyone has any good information let me know and I'll attempt to keep this updated.

2. rm -rp ./Matt*

rm -rp ./Matt* Member

3. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

It'll come out with Episode 3 and Black Mesa Source :)

Actually it must be fairly close to finished if they're willing to host a significant tourny already.

5. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Exactly, it's either in some sort of BETA phase or close to release, really expected more excitement from people but eh.

6. Lithiumz

Lithiumz Member

according to steam this dota 2 tournament starts on the 17th of august in germany. im yet to see a gameplay video of the game, and they reckon its ready for competitive play in a few weeks?

7. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

I think people are underestimating the marketshare that LoL currently has. DotA has always been a more "hardcore" game, where noobs/casuals were generally mocked into the ground. The same mentality from players exists in LoL and HoN, but LoL itself is very much targetted at casual play, and has built a rediculously large playerbase (Over 15 MILLION accounts) around it.

Valve really need to open with a huge bang, in order to pull the casual crowd along with their (almost) guaranteed day1 hardcore following. It wouldn't surprise me if the game was much further along, than we've been lead to believe.

8. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Professional HoN and LoL players will have to take notice of this. $1million means that each team member takes home more money than any other team could make in a year if they won all their respective tournaments.

9. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Gabe did say he is watching the teams practice so it means they are probably playtesting something that is 99% of what we will see at the tournament.

10. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Considering they are prepared to host a tournament in two weeks time, the game is definitely on the verge of being released. It's a good marketing strategy for them to host a tournament prior to the release of the game to bring in all the potential buyers.

Especially with the $1 million at hand, this definitely caught the eyes of gamers all across the globe. I'm definitely going to purchase this game. I haven't played dota since 6.67b or something which was a fair while ago but with Dota 2 that's going to change.

11. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

My thoughts, if the opening prize pool is going to be this large a lot of the top lol/hon players will make the move to dota 2 especially considering a large number of them will have most likely come from dota originally id imagine.

What will make or break this game will be the community imo, all three games will be similar but the lol/hon communities are the WORST in any game i've ever played, it makes the wow player base look like a gathering of high society millionaires at times

Oh and if it has complex fun heros which arent the same shit different names im sold Invoker ftw

12. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

One can wish, but from all I've read, it appears that they want to stay true to DotA and make DotA2 basically DotA with fancy new server side features (and improved visuals of course) like matchmaking, microtransactions, coaching, spectating etc.

It would also make it easier for these top 16 DotA teams to make the transition in such a short time and to be competitive enough to make it worth watching.

13. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

The timing is a crucial on this one. If the game is indeed very good and turns out to be what a lot of people are waiting for, then delaying it will dampen people's interests. They really need to capitalise on the timing and release at the very least a largish beta phase (preferably the final game). These MOBA games are always works in progress anyway so delaying it to fine tune everything is not always needed since people expect to be playing the game more regularly vs. some story driven game where an unpolished release can break any chances of favourable coverage.

14. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

True. Delaying the game after the tournament will not satisfy customers. Hopefully a BETA comes during or RIGHT after the tournament - that way people will be happy and get to try the game out before its available for purchase on steam. I heard a rumor of a new mode where 3 teams are involved in the one game? Is this actually happening or was the rumor just a rumor.

15. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I wouldn't expect an imminent launch though. The gameplay can be all good but a major part of dota2 will be community features, and they don't need any of them ready to host a tourny.

16. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

What kind of community features are you referring to?

I really hope Valve do not include achievements like they do in every game nowadays. Although I'm not too fussed as there's probably going to be an option to hide achievements, I would just prefer not to have any.

17. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

I think he is referring to features outside of actually playing the game that have been mentioned. e.g. coaching players to earn reputation points etc.

The idea was that Valve wanted to reduce the number of twats in game and one way they have postulated as a solution to this was a reputation system whereby people who leave/afk/abuse/troll etc. pay full price (or more) for in game items, and that people who are helpful in forums, in game coaching, in writing guides etc. would be rewarded with reduced (or free) items.

18. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I really hope that the community for DotA2 will be a lot better then HoN and LoL put together.

I never played DotA online, only against bots so I am not sure what it was like back in the day.

19. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I imagine it will be worse. You'll get a LOT of elitism (moreso than HoN) and being Free to Play there will be a of trolling, and generally faggotry at the newbie end of things I will imagine (Yes I know it's not officially announced as F2P but shocked if it won't be).

20. shizmo

shizmo Member

HoN community is the best thing about it imo.... All gaming need to have some of it and Dota would not be complete without it.